Question What MOBO is safe for AMD 7950x

Oct 8, 2022
Hi guys.

I am building pc for rendering and I am confused what MOBO to get due to recent events with ASUS.
Some people claim it's for all am5 MOBOs, others say only ASrock is not affected.
What should I get?
It's so overwhelming for a noob like myself and I just don't want to make a mistake?
ASRock, gigabyte, kao? 650 or 670?

Any help is much appreciated!

IDProG

Distinguished
Hi guys.

I am building pc for rendering and I am confused what MOBO to get due to recent events with ASUS.
Some people claim it's for all am5 MOBOs, others say only ASrock is not affected.
What should I get?
It's so overwhelming for a noob like myself and I just don't want to make a mistake?
ASRock, gigabyte, kao? 650 or 670?

Any help is much appreciated!
It does not affect the non-3D version. The reason it only affects the 3D version is because the 3D V-Cache (which the non-3D version does not have) cannot handle high SOC voltage (1.3V max), and some EXPO settings set the SOC voltage to 1.35V+.

But, if you really want to be safe, do not activate EXPO until you update to the latest BIOS version.

A bonus answer, any $200+ motherboard has a VRM strong enough to handle a 7950X.

Reactions: Fullest
Oct 8, 2022
It does not affect the non-3D version. The reason it only affects the 3D version is because the 3D V-Cache (which the non-3D version does not have) cannot handle high SOC voltage (1.3V max), and some EXPO settings set the SOC voltage to 1.35V+.

But, if you really want to be safe, do not activate EXPO until you update to the latest BIOS version.

A bonus answer, any $200+ motherboard has a VRM strong enough to handle a 7950X.
Are you sure? I've read that all 7000 series are affected, not just 3D

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Issue is to not let the CPU/ram past 1.3 v

Any mobo is fine so long as you cap the voltage to these limits. The new bios adds this limit or you can set it yourself. Other than that any mobo will be fine that fits your needs

Oct 8, 2022
Issue is to not let the CPU/ram past 1.3 v

Any mobo is fine so long as you cap the voltage to these limits. The new bios adds this limit or you can set it yourself. Other than that any mobo will be fine that fits your needs
Hopefully it will be ok since people are saying that new bios update did not fix it.

Fourro

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Why is USB flashback important?
It's not important. It's just if you're scared of your PC frying - it's nice to update BIOS before you even turn it on for the first time.
Hopefully it will be ok since people are saying that new bios update did not fix it.
It did fix the SoC voltages, at least for me.
Has somebody lost their motherboard/CPU after they updated BIOS to AGESA 1.0.0.7a? Because there were reports that previous AGESA - 1.0.0.7 - still had issues, but 1.0.0.7a is newer and supposed to fix everything, at least when it comes to frying processors.

sonofjesse

Distinguished

Remember the first "fix" bios did not fix it 100% (released end of April). However now they have the 2nd Fixed Bios released as of this week by all the main players (that i have seen).

For example Asus released theirs on 5.16.2023 for my board for example.

Its my understanding the issue is now fixed.

The flashback is important cause it allows you to flash without "POSTING" or without a CPU. Also if you have a bad bios you can flash and your not dead in the water and needing a new motherboard. This mitigates much of the risk........even more so with dual Bios. Lowering risk is huge, cause Bios updates can be scary. I always say use an UPS on the computer as well.

Just flash the bios before the first boot :)

Enjoy your new build.

Oct 8, 2022
Remember the first "fix" bios did not fix it 100% (released end of April). However now they have the 2nd Fixed Bios released as of this week by all the main players (that i have seen).

For example Asus released theirs on 5.16.2023 for my board for example.

Its my understanding the issue is now fixed.

The flashback is important cause it allows you to flash without "POSTING" or without a CPU. Also if you have a bad bios you can flash and your not dead in the water and needing a new motherboard. This mitigates much of the risk........even more so with dual Bios. Lowering risk is huge, cause Bios updates can be scary. I always say use an UPS on the computer as well.

Just flash the bios before the first boot :)

Enjoy your new build.
Thanks bro!

I think I might pay someone to do it all for me because all of this is just overwhelming for me.

Its crazy how many things have changed since my last pc build when I was a kido like 10 years ago. Its WILD! The options, the things we need to do, click, check...just wild.

Oct 8, 2022
It's not important. It's just if you're scared of your PC frying - it's nice to update BIOS before you even turn it on for the first time.

It did fix the SoC voltages, at least for me.
Has somebody lost their motherboard/CPU after they updated BIOS to AGESA 1.0.0.7a? Because there were reports that previous AGESA - 1.0.0.7 - still had issues, but 1.0.0.7a is newer and supposed to fix everything, at least when it comes to frying processors.
Interesting.

Any particular board you would recommend for 24/7 rendering?

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Asus has moved there latest Bios out of beta to1415 i think it is..
Ive updated my Rog crosshair x670e gene ..
I think most board companies have sorted the issue now
Now have Asus issues been completely fixed " who rightly knows " at this point till we see more exploding X3d cpu's under the new bios its all up in the air ..
MSI was one of the better board companies to react quick and solve it fast ..

normally i would say stick with the x670e and buy a higher quality but that point is moot as my board was $960aud and the crosshair hero boards were the ones who destroyed GN's cpu's ..
MEH who knows what to buy .
id say stick with a decent MSI x670e

sonofjesse

Distinguished
200-350 will get you an amazing MB, these 500+ motherboards are not realistic for most builds and offer few benefits the average person would never notice.

ASUS has the updates out for B650E-F. My boot times got cut by 50%!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 8, 2022
Asus has moved there latest Bios out of beta to1415 i think it is..
Ive updated my Rog crosshair x670e gene ..
I think most board companies have sorted the issue now
Now have Asus issues been completely fixed " who rightly knows " at this point till we see more exploding X3d cpu's under the new bios its all up in the air ..
MSI was one of the better board companies to react quick and solve it fast ..

normally i would say stick with the x670e and buy a higher quality but that point is moot as my board was $960aud and the crosshair hero boards were the ones who destroyed GN's cpu's ..
MEH who knows what to buy .
id say stick with a decent MSI x670e
Yea dude....its crazy how many variants and options there is..

Oct 8, 2022
200-350 will get you an amazing MB, these 500+ motherboards are not realistic for most builds and offer few benefits the average person would never notice.

Any tip on which MOBO would be the best for my particular needs - 24/7 rendering?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I have three B650E-F's I have had good luck.

MSI/Gigabyte also make great boards.

Just having generally good cooling is what you will want.

Why do you think you need something specific?

24/7 will produce a lot of heat. I would invest extra money for AC to keep your room cool in the summer :)

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021

Asus has a default setting that make boot times slow any way .. ( im really not sure why )
I have to enable it every time i update my bios which cuts boot times to seconds ..
get in to the bios under extreme tweaker find DRAM timing control click on it then scroll all the way down to memory context restore enable it this will automatically enable the setting above save and exit bios job done !!
super fast boot times !!