What monitor to buy?! What do you game on?

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Hi. I'm looking to purchase a good gaming monitor, perferably but not essential, one I can hook up my PS4 pro and Xbox one X. I was looking at the ViewSonic XG3240C.
https://www.viewsonic.com/uk/products/lcd/XG3240C.php
My current gaming rig is a 6700k and a gtx 1080. Does anyone have any other good alternatives or suggestions. This monitor has a VA panel, which I've never had any experience playing on. My current monitor is a BenQ 144hz TN panel. However I would just like better display. I'm looking at G sync monitors also, but they are quite expensive. Any input is greatly appreciated, regarding panel types etc..

Thanks.

Solution
Hi ;)

Check out this link. They have a pretty good selection & review of monitors.
https://www.displayninja.com/best-1440p-monitors/#MSIMAG27CQ

The problem is g sync monitors are considerably more expensive than freesync. Nvidia GPUs are compatable with G sync & AMD uses freesync. If you want to take advantage of adaptive sync technologies such as g sync or freesync then its best to pair your gpu with correct sync technology.

Important to note is that Nvidia announced at CES 2019 that they will enable all freesync monitors to alao support g sync going forward. Bear in mind that not all freesync monitors will perform g sync to the satisfaction of nvidia & they will therefore certify certain monitors that work best. Basically, you...

tiaan_strauss

Proper
Jan 12, 2019
Hi ;)

Check out this link. They have a pretty good selection & review of monitors.
https://www.displayninja.com/best-1440p-monitors/#MSIMAG27CQ

The problem is g sync monitors are considerably more expensive than freesync. Nvidia GPUs are compatable with G sync & AMD uses freesync. If you want to take advantage of adaptive sync technologies such as g sync or freesync then its best to pair your gpu with correct sync technology.

Important to note is that Nvidia announced at CES 2019 that they will enable all freesync monitors to alao support g sync going forward. Bear in mind that not all freesync monitors will perform g sync to the satisfaction of nvidia & they will therefore certify certain monitors that work best. Basically, you can enable g sync on all freesync monitors, but only the ones that work best will be officially certified by Nvidia & carry the g sync certified logo.

TN panels: generally used for gaming, fast response times, not as good colour reproduction & viewing angles. (Think about a laptop monitor that glares if you look at it from the side). TN technology has however come along way in recent years & some TN panels have great colour reproduction etc.

IPS Panels: great colour reproduction & viewing angles, usually dont have as high response times as TN panels, more expensive than TN. You can however find great gaming IPS panels nowadays, its just that the majority of gaming panels available are TN. IPS panels are the panel of choice with artists, content creators etc as theyve got great colours.

VA: the best of both worlds, these are considered to be the best panels around. They combine the strenghts of TN & IPS panels. Usually the most expensive panels & found on high end monitors.

From what ive heard is that the Viewsonic monitors offer good value for money & ive seen them.being recommended quite a lot. In the world of monitors it is important to manage your expectations & consider the price points of different konitors. A $300 monitor will not perform the same way as a $800 monitor.

For gaming I would say the Viewsonic is perfect.

All the best, hope this helps

Solution