jecann

Honorable
Dec 7, 2016
Hello!
I’m looking for advice. I have this older computer that I’m looking to upgrade. Its purpose is to be a dedicated video camera security system running Blue Iris. It will also be a PLEX server and run Home Assistant.
I’ve been told I need to have at least an i7 6th gen. processor, because earlier versions don’t support HEVC: The 6700 is a Skylake chip that will let Blue Iris hardware decode the h265 codec and save me a TON of processing power. I would assume anything newer would suffice as well.
I’ve been looking at used computers in Facebook Marketplace, but I’d like to keep this one I have because it has a nice case, 600watt power supply, and 16GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz. I assume I would add an SSD for the OS, and a couple large HDD’s for the video storage. The existing Motherboard is an Asus p8h67-mle, with an i7 2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
What motherboard and processor combo would you recommend I should replace this with?
Any advice on the best way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
If you do get an i7-6700(K or non-K suffix) processor you're going to need to swap to another motherboard, either a B250 chipset(if non-K) or a Z270(if K suffix). You're also going to need a new kit of ram, a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz kit. Ofc, for all the money you're going to spend, I'd advise on buying a concurrent platform as opposed to buying something that's generations old.

Where are you located and what is your budget?

Latest posts