What motherboard for i7-3930k with 8 ram slots should i choose?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I see - so bottomline is that if a system with the P9X79 Pro is tested thouroughly with Aida64 or similar, and it runs stable - and I don't need to push for any high oc's above 4.5GHz, then there are not any obvious reasons to go for the R4E?

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, I'm more in doubt with the components to choose with this computer than usual, but you're a great help :)

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Would you say that for X79 too?

The reason I got confused was that I thought some of the problems you described with X79 wasn't something that would show up right away and that it potentially could lead to many headaches at a later time - but I think I will go with the P9X79 Pro then :)

I'm pretty sure I mentioned a couple of common and current problems (DIMMS and Chipset), but I don't have the energy to reread 'this' book. I 'seemingly' had a power issue, but that's a little more rare and not something that can be traced to any particular X79.

Just test the MOBO as described, it accelerates a problem -- if there is a problem; it does NOT harm the computer. Keep in mind a computer should be able to run @ 100% 24/7/365 - period. So testing with e.g. AIDA64 or similar apps for a measly 48 hours should be easy and without incident.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hi jaquith :)

A few things over the last weeks happened regarding this computer purchase so I didn't get it yet, and there's one thing I'd like to ask you.

In the end I decided to wait for the Corsair case - but then when I was going to order the computer I got informed that the shop apparently shut down for some reason (lucky that I didnt end up actually getting the computer from there).

Instead, I just received a good deal for a system from another place which is actually significantly cheaper than what I was looking at earlier - and I got the option to build it myself, or let them do it - I'm still considering that.

Since the thread is so long and you probably forgot the configuration I'm looking at, I'll put it in here :)

CPU: i7-3930k, CPU-cooler: Corsair H100, PSU: Corsair HX 1050W, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD1002FAEX (1TB), Case: Corsair 550D (though it may end with a P280 as the 550D stock is still extremely limited in Denmark)

And then to my question which is about the memory - they suggested these in their offer:

16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance-LP 1600 MHz/12800-CL9 (http://www.dataengros.dk/hardware/ram/ddr3-ram-240-pins/product-2696.htm)

I know it's low profile which I strictly don't need, but they don't have any other 16GB kits listed on their site (except for a blue version of the above) - but it seems they primarily got Corsair memory. Do you think this kit is fine or do you think there is another Corsair kit I should ask them about (at the same price range or slightly above)? I think there is a chance they may be able to get another kit, for example they could get the HX1050 even though it's not on their site.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I see it's not clear if the kit I linked is the same as what you linked (apparently no specific product name on the retailers site) - however, it doesn't necessarily have to be low profile - do you think there is another Corsair kit I should ask for (regular, non low profile)?

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Oh, didn't notice that :)

So I think I will ask them, but since I don't really need low profile, I can just as well ask for a regular kit - do you have any recommendations?

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Yes it's very limited - but I meant if you had any recommendation out of all Corsair memory? The retailer may very well be able to get another kit not listed on their site for me :)

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Ok thanks for your help - I will ask for CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G or CML16GX3M4X1600C8 :)
I don't think I need the dominators since I will only be doing moderate overclocking (assuming it will turn out to be pretty easy), so can save a little there.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I just placed my order, finally :D

I ended up ordering a Corsair AX850 instead of the HX1050, as I actually doubt that I will go SLI anytime soon - but I just saw the new Seasonic platinum SS-860XP psu which is at about the same price as the AX850? Do you think I should change the AX850 for that Seasonic? I also saw some people saying AX850 is known for coil whine, have you heard anything about that?

Coil whine can happen to potentially any PSU, neither the SeaSonic X Series X-850 or Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 are immune. Most of the time the root cause is under sizing the PSU which is why I recommended the Corsair CMPSU-1050HX on page 1 of 3--so far.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Would you still recommend the HX1050 for a single graphicscard setup (probably a GTX680 or 660/670/or whatever they will call them) over the AX850?
I was under the impression that it was because of running sli you suggested the HX1050?

I was also referring to the new platinum Seasonic series - not the X-series, but they may be quite similar :)

My preference is bigger and my other equally important preference is Full Modular. A full modular PSU is especially nice IF the PSU fails <or> you upgrade to a larger PSU IF needed and IF the power leads are supported.

I haven't seen or heard of coil whine too much on the SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W PSU.

Yeah sure I like SeaSonic PSU's. On a single GTX 680 the 850W would be fine.

Cool stuff for the Corsair AX - http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/psu-accessories.html ;)

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
The cables are nice, the only problem is the price :D

Question is then if I should go with the AX850 or the Seasonic Platinum 860? The price is almost equal (at least in Denmark) - but I'm a little unsure if there are any real reasons to go for one over the other.

Maybe since the Seasonic is so new there could be more problems with it than the older AX850? But on the other hand it should be an improvement (seeing that apparently the AX850 is almost identical to Seasonics X-850)?

They have nothing but praise left for the Seasonic over at Anandtech, but AX850 gets nice words in all reviews I've seen too :)

When you're comparing top brands with Silver, Gold & Platinum certifications -- advanced quality is assumed i.e. Japanese capacitors, etc leaving grade of transformers and to a degree fan control. If you get a Gold or Platinum PSU don't be shocked if most of the time the fan isn't running; with increased efficiency the result is decreased heat (waste). The last time I ran the numbers on 8-10 hours a day Silver to Gold ($0.12kWh) saves you $10~$15/year.

Calc - http://imog.us/tools/psucalculator/

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Okay I see :) I think I will go with the Seasonic Platinum - I'm looking forward getting the parts, I decided to assemble myself, so I am preparing a little reading manuals etc. since it's roughly 3 years ago since I build a PC :)