[SOLVED] What OS to use for server build

SwetishBus0964

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
So currently I have my windows 10 linked with my microsoft account. I've finished building a server pc to host games and whatnot. I'm wondering if I should use the windows 10 or use a specific windows server os. I have 128gb of ram and 2x Intel 5680s if they have any sort of limitations on OS. So should the windows 10 work? Or should I invest in a specific windows server OS.

Solution
I know I can't answer without more details (games being hosted being the biggest). However, assuming these are Windows-based games and are relatively modern, I do think Windows 10 would be a good fit here. It would fit well with your Microsoft account, and runs very well right after install. On the one I use as a file and media server, I personally go through and remove some of the auto-install bloatware that comes with a fresh install, and restrict some personalization preferences, but that is probably more user-preference than anything.

I will say that for my purpose, getting Windows 10 up and running on my server took much less time than it did when I was running Server 2008 R2 for a time, mainly because I had to customize a ton of...
I know I can't answer without more details (games being hosted being the biggest). However, assuming these are Windows-based games and are relatively modern, I do think Windows 10 would be a good fit here. It would fit well with your Microsoft account, and runs very well right after install. On the one I use as a file and media server, I personally go through and remove some of the auto-install bloatware that comes with a fresh install, and restrict some personalization preferences, but that is probably more user-preference than anything.

I will say that for my purpose, getting Windows 10 up and running on my server took much less time than it did when I was running Server 2008 R2 for a time, mainly because I had to customize a ton of things that didn't apply since this was a home, and not a business network. So it really all depends what the server is going to be doing/ how you are going to be interacting with it.

Solution