[SOLVED] What power supply do i need for a RTX 2070S?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Im thinking of buying a 2070S but EVGA says i need a minimum of a 650w psu, i only have a 600w and i can only get either the gpu or the psu at the moment.

Will i be safe to run the card?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Im thinking of buying a 2070S but EVGA says i need a minimum of a 650w psu, i only have a 600w and i can only get either the gpu or the psu at the moment.

Will i be safe to run the card?
What they recommend means nothing, they have no clue what the rest of your PC parts are.

The 2070S can draw from 215 to 250 watts depending on the model.

You would need to list all your parts and the make and model number of the power supply to get a accurate answer.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QrYyQ6

Heres the list of parts, down as close as i could get them
Is that the exact power supply? I can't find any profesional reviews on it.

This is part of whats wrong with what PCpartspicker says. It list that video card as 215 watts when this says 250.

It also list the 5700G as 65 watts but can draw 87.
https://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph16824/124883.png

Last edited:

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
This is the exact power supply, though I bought it in 2022.

Thanks for the advice, i'll ask for some help with a new power supply.

If not, can i run a 2060S with the 600w or do i need to get a new power supply?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This is the exact power supply, though I bought it in 2022.

Thanks for the advice, i'll ask for some help with a new power supply.

If not, can i run a 2060S with the 600w or do i need to get a new power supply?
I'm not saying the 2070S will not run off that it should be in the 435 Watt area, just not sure of the quality of the power supply.
I'll get another opinion.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I run a 2070Super with Ryzen 3700x and full custom loop on a Corsair SF600 SFX Platinum psu.

Don't see any issues running a 2070Super on 600w unless you have something stupid like an overclocked xx700k or xx900k Intel cpu.

It's questionable since the 20 series cards do have some transient spiking, but nothing anywhere close to the 30 series.

Wattage is easy to figure. Cpu + gpu + 100w for everything else + 100w for OC + 100w to 200w for transients depending on the card.

So my pc is roughly 500w± after spikes at max wattage.

It's not the wattage. It's all about the psu. It'll either handle the loads or it won't, and most so-so psus, especially ones built on older platforms, have issues with the newer nvidia cards.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
I run a 2070Super with Ryzen 3700x and full custom loop on a Corsair SF600 SFX Platinum psu.

Don't see any issues running a 2070Super on 600w unless you have something stupid like an overclocked xx700k or xx900k Intel cpu.

It's questionable since the 20 series cards do have some transient spiking, but nothing anywhere close to the 30 series.

Wattage is easy to figure. Cpu + gpu + 100w for everything else + 100w for OC + 100w to 200w for transients depending on the card.

So my pc is roughly 500w± after spikes at max wattage.

It's not the wattage. It's all about the psu. It'll either handle the loads or it won't, and most so-so psus, especially ones built on older platforms, have issues with the newer nvidia cards.
i dont plan on oc anytime soon

so all together 550w is the total from that wattage info you gave me

i was actually going to buy the supernova 650w but i accidentally bought the wrong one.

im thinking of going for a 850w from corsair.

but all depends on my budget

Jesus Christ. Seriously, the PSU I linked is one of the absolute best power supplies sold under ANY name brand in the last ten years, and costs less than any of these other models we are talking about, and is more than enough by about 150w than you even need. And is direct from the manufacturer with free shipping. How is this even a discussion at this point and why in the F is anybody arguing it? I mean, I guess all I can do it lead you water. I can't convince you that water is essential for survival. If you buy any other PSU than the one I linked to, at that price, within the next day or two, then you wasted your time coming here to ask for advice because clearly that isn't what you are interested in getting.

There are only a couple of power supply models sold by Corsair that are as good as or better than the one I linked you to, and those are the HX and AX models, and those cost anywhere from 75-250 dollars more than the EVGA P2 that's on sale. Any other purchase at this moment, while that is going for that price, is just biting your own nose off to spite your face.

Unless of course you are in some randomly weird region where that deal isn't viable to be shipped to. Then, I can probably find you something better, but it looked to me like you were in the US so I don't understand why you're even looking past that unit. It's one of the very best Super Flower platforms out there and is the basis for several of the very top notch power supplies sold by EVGA and Super Flower over the last five to ten years. For the record, so you understand, Super Flower was the OEM for most of EVGA's platforms for many years, then they weren't, and now they are again, for some models. This is a superb unit, but, your system and your choice.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
I didnt have time to take a look at it and i apologize for that, ill go for that considering its platinum as i most likely wont be running anything further for a while.

Thank you for the suggestion

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
This would be a FAR, FAR better option than that GD series unit though. Currently on sale so pull the trigger now if you are inclined because it won't last. Less than 70 bucks for an EVGA P2 650w unit with free shipping is literally UNHEARD OF so pull the trigger quick if you're going to.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-P2-0650-X1&associatecode=PCPartPicker

@Nephern There is literally nothing on the planet even vaguely near this price that performs anywhere near this PSU. Wattage is secondary to quality. This PSU has more than enough wattage and is top top quality. It should be nearly double the price. This is the only answer to what you should buy.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
im looking at a 750w 80+ platinum from evga. its 10 dollars more than the 650w and theyre both platinum

i want some room in case i want to upgrade

Its the EVGA 750w P5

By the way the cpu i have runs about minimum 3.9 and max 4.4

not sure how much that affects tdp

the base clock on the cpu is 3.8ghz
As a point of reference I have a 5600X, an RTX 2070 Super, four sticks of DDR4-3200 RAM (with RGB going), two NVMe SSDs, one SATA SSD, and a sound card (yes I'm one of those weirdos). Last time I cared to do a Kill-A-Watt reading, it was pulling maybe about 300W from the wall if I let things run on their default profiles. Subtracting efficiency losses, you're looking at about 250W needed. After tuning the system for efficiency, it dropped to about 250W or so from the wall.

The only reason to get say 600W or something is so you're floating at around the 50% "best efficiency" mark. But even then, as long as the load is at least something like 30% of the PSU's capacity, the difference between that efficiency and "best" efficiency is minimal. You could run this setup on a well built 450W unit and it'd still be fine.

Note that on NVIDIA's end, their language has been "recommended" until the RTX 30 series, where they say "required", but even then they specifically laid out what kind of system they were using. This is on top of them stating a higher requirement than what may actually be required because they don't know what you're sticking in the computer or what else is going on.

As a point of reference I have a 5600X, an RTX 2070 Super, four sticks of DDR4-3200 RAM (with RGB going), two NVMe SSDs, one SATA SSD, and a sound card (yes I'm one of those weirdos). Last time I cared to do a Kill-A-Watt reading, it was pulling maybe about 300W from the wall if I let things run on their default profiles. Subtracting efficiency losses, you're looking at about 250W needed. After tuning the system for efficiency, it dropped to about 250W or so from the wall.

The only reason to get say 600W or something is so you're floating at around the 50% "best efficiency" mark. But even then, as long as the load is at least something like 30% of the PSU's capacity, the difference between that efficiency and "best" efficiency is minimal. You could run this setup on a well built 450W unit and it'd still be fine.

Note that on NVIDIA's end, their language has been "recommended" until the RTX 30 series, where they say "required", but even then they specifically laid out what kind of system they were using. This is on top of them stating a higher requirement than what may actually be required because they don't know what you're sticking in the computer or what else is going on.
Even if all of that were true, you still couldn't get a quality 450w unit for the cost of that EVGA P2 650w unit right now. In fact, seems to me like the high quality lower wattage units are more expensive than most of the decent 550-650w models are normally. Which is probably why there are few standard ATX series including any models below 550w for the most part. Not to mention, doing as you suggest means that at some point down the road if you decide to upgrade to a newer, higher end or newer high end graphics card, you are going to have to purchase ANOTHER power supply. Doesn't seem like forward thinking advice to me unless you are using a smaller form factor build and require a smaller unit, which is a different discussion in any case.

Maybe you can show me which of these units would be the better choice over what I suggested?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/p...,450000000000&th=1&e=6,5,4,2&p=1,2&sort=price