MarkTech

Honorable
Feb 4, 2017
Hello people, I have an old system with a bad Power Supply unit, the PC tends to restart or shut down from nowhere and sometimes we need to unplug and plug the power cable in order to make it work again, the labels are old so I don't know what wattage was that old one, the system is this:
CPU: Core i5 650
MOBO: H55 Gigabyte
VIDEO: GTX 460
FANS: 1-120mm, 1-180mm
PCIE: TV Adapter
STORAGE: 1 HDD & 1SSD

I was thinking about using a 500w in case of some upgrades one or you would recommend another one?

Also, should I use a certified one 80 plus White or Bronze or a non-certified one should be ok?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Psu min is 500w for a gtx460.
Best psu for that build is a Seasonic 520w M12-II or S12-II depending on whether you want to deal with cables or not. If that's not realistically priced then a Corsair CX/CV 550w.

You most definitely do not want to cheap out with a White or non-cert psu. Apart from them generally being underpowered, overrated and non safety conscious complete firehazards, your pc is aged, and headed towards more fragile pastures. The last thing you want to put in there is a seriously noisy/dirty output psu that's just going to finish the job of deterioration on the motherboard caps and/or gpu quick-smart.

And no Thermaltake Smart or TR2 models either, those are as reliable as wet toilet paper.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
We
Hello people, I have an old system with a bad Power Supply unit, the PC tends to restart or shut down from nowhere and sometimes we need to unplug and plug the power cable in order to make it work again, the labels are old so I don't know what wattage was that old one, the system is this:
CPU: Core i5 650
MOBO: H55 Gigabyte
VIDEO: GTX 460
FANS: 1-120mm, 1-180mm
PCIE: TV Adapter
STORAGE: 1 HDD & 1SSD

I was thinking about using a 500w in case of some upgrades one or you would recommend another one?

Also, should I use a certified one 80 plus White or Bronze or a non-certified one should be ok?

Thanks in advance!
Well the PSU minimum requirement for that GPU is 450w, but if you want to upgrade i suggest buy a more wattage PSU above 500-600w depending on the upgrade your going to go with.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu min is 500w for a gtx460.
Best psu for that build is a Seasonic 520w M12-II or S12-II depending on whether you want to deal with cables or not. If that's not realistically priced then a Corsair CX/CV 550w.

You most definitely do not want to cheap out with a White or non-cert psu. Apart from them generally being underpowered, overrated and non safety conscious complete firehazards, your pc is aged, and headed towards more fragile pastures. The last thing you want to put in there is a seriously noisy/dirty output psu that's just going to finish the job of deterioration on the motherboard caps and/or gpu quick-smart.

And no Thermaltake Smart or TR2 models either, those are as reliable as wet toilet paper.

Reactions: MarkTech
Solution

MarkTech

Honorable
Feb 4, 2017
A 500w would be a good choice. 80+ is just an efficiency rating and not a measure of quality. I would be careful to get a good quality unit.

What country are you in and what is your budget for a replacement.
Thanks for your answers guys, currently my budget is around 50-75 USD and I'm from Mexico so most brands and models sold in the U.S. are here as well, I was thinking about a EVGA 500w 80p Bronze.
But yeah I just check that the GTX 460 required a 500w PWS as minimum in the Gigabyte Spec web, so I'm thinking to go for a 550w or a 600w just to be free of problems maybe?
Btw I managed to get the model of the current PSU it is a Cooler Master 550w RS-550-PCAR-E3.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When it comes to atx standard psus, the even numbers are mostly mediocre or worse. (500,600,700,800..) . It's the odd numbers like 520,550,650,750,850.. Where you will find the superstar psus. So if minimum is 500w then the answer is 550w. A good Bronze will be fine unless you spend more to lower the electric bill on a Gold. Otherwise a good Bronze will have decent output ripple and there's no OC stability to worry about. With the generation of the pc, even an older group regulated psu will be just fine, you don't need fancy.