[SOLVED] What qualifies as passing the paperclip test?

MagBoi

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Hello, so I'm currently troubleshooting for my new pc, where nothing turns on, so I suspected it was the PSU since my fans aren't connected to the motherboard, but into an NZXT control hub, and directly into the PSU. I took the PSU out and did the paperclip test, and the fan turned on and pinned for 15 seconds or so, then turn on? I couldn't quite figure out if the PSU fan turning on at all qualifies as it passing or not, btw the PSU is a Corsair RM750.

Solution
The paper clip test cannot prove a psu is working. It can only prove a psu is completely unresponsive and dead. Just because a psu does respond does not mean it can deliver the correct voltages under operating loads.

MagBoi

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
The paper clip test cannot prove a psu is working. It can only prove a psu is completely unresponsive and dead. Just because a psu does respond does not mean it can deliver the correct voltages under operating loads.

Yeah, but the fact that the psu fan turned off after a while, isn't that a bad sign?

MagBoi

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Is it still under warranty? The only way to test it is in another system but if you have doubts and it is no longer under warranty I’d scrap it. Can anyone lend you a psu to try in your system.

If the other system still is under warranty? I build it earlier this year, but I've lost track of it's covered by warranty or not. In the other system there is a 450 watt psu, but my gpu in my new system says it requires 650 watt, is the 450 watt enough to see if it will boot or not? And I do know someone who likes to build pc's who might have a psu laying around.

MagBoi

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
In which case in the event the psu did cause damage to any system it is connected to you would claim against its warranty.

Okay, but I would rather not damage my other system, even tho the components could get replaced, I don't really wanna also deal with that right now, unless I have to, I will look at my other options first. But I just feel like the fact that the fans didn't turn on is a sign of the psu not working, since the fans aren't connected to the motherboard, unless the hub isn't working... god I hate troubleshooting.

Okay, but I would rather not damage my other system, even tho the components could get replaced, I don't really wanna also deal with that right now, unless I have to, I will look at my other options first. But I just feel like the fact that the fans didn't turn on is a sign of the psu not working, since the fans aren't connected to the motherboard, unless the hub isn't working... god I hate troubleshooting.
Troubleshooting a hardware problem without spare components can be impossible. If you don’t know someone who can help you then maybe try a local independent shop but obviously they will charge.

The paperclip test is useful for only ONE thing.
It can confirm a dead psu.
Psu testers are only marginally better, but unless it is a $5000 tester it can not confirm the proper operation of a psu.
Unfortunately, about the only way to test a psu is to replace it with a known good unit of adequate power and quality.