Question What ram should i get next?

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
I've been thinking of getting new ram since my current sticks are apparently not on QVL for my motherboard and that is the reason for some problems. It may be too early for an upgrade but i don't really want to wait 30secs-1min30 each time I turn on my pc.

Been searching for different ram sticks i could use and I've mostly landed on Trident Z5 7200mhz 2x16gb cl34 or Vengeance 7200mhz 2x24gb cl36 but cant decide which is better or if i should get something else (preferably straight off motherboards QVL).

motherboard: rog strix b650-a wifi
CPU: ryzen 7 7800x3d
GPU: tuf rtx 4070 TI Super
current RAM: Fury beast 600mhz cl36 2x16gb
PSU: EVGA GT 750W 80+ gold

Thank you!

If the ram settings are wrong initially, a motherboard will try to find a set of settings for you that works.
That does take time, and the resulting speed may be lower than the advertised speed.

Test your current ram.

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If your ram runs ok, then look at the settings that are in actual use.
CPU-Z will show you.
Then, the next time you boot, go directly into the bios and explicitly set those same settings.
You may need to increase the ram voltage to get things to work.

And...
Why power on/off at all?
Try sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead
That puts the pc and monitor into a very low power state comparable to a full power off.
sleep/wake becomes a handful of seconds.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I've been thinking of getting new ram since my current sticks are apparently not on QVL for my motherboard and that is the reason for some problems. It may be too early for an upgrade but i don't really want to wait 30secs-1min30 each time I turn on my pc.

Been searching for different ram sticks i could use and I've mostly landed on Trident Z5 7200mhz 2x16gb cl34 or Vengeance 7200mhz 2x24gb cl36 but cant decide which is better or if i should get something else (preferably straight off motherboards QVL).

motherboard: rog strix b650-a wifi
CPU: ryzen 7 7800x3d
GPU: tuf rtx 4070 TI Super
current RAM: Fury beast 600mhz cl36 2x16gb
PSU: EVGA GT 750W 80+ gold

Thank you!
It sounds like your board is always memory training when booting.

Disable memory training in the bios by enabling the "Memory Context Restore" feature (Extreme Tweaker > DRAM Timing Control > Memory Context Restore -> Enabled).

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
If the ram settings are wrong initially, a motherboard will try to find a set of settings for you that works.
That does take time, and the resulting speed may be lower than the advertised speed.

Test your current ram.

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If your ram runs ok, then look at the settings that are in actual use.
CPU-Z will show you.
Then, the next time you boot, go directly into the bios and explicitly set those same settings.
You may need to increase the ram voltage to get things to work.

And...
Why power on/off at all?
Try sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead
That puts the pc and monitor into a very low power state comparable to a full power off.
sleep/wake becomes a handful of seconds.
Ive been in contact with ASUS support about it and all they can say is the ram is functional but just not for my motherboard. Expo does slow down the process though.

Cpu-z has shown my ram as normal and most ram tests have found anything wrong with them.

I power off out of habit ever since my first computer started failing because i never turned it off. Ran it for about 2 years and it one day had enough and started working worse.

Im still not entirely convinced that my ram is at fault for the slow power on times but everything asus support has said is that my ram isn't on QVL list and neither are my SSDs. They suspect its a ram issue though.

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
It sounds like your board is always memory training when booting.

Disable memory training in the bios by enabling the "Memory Context Restore" feature (Extreme Tweaker > DRAM Timing Control > Memory Context Restore -> Enabled).
This seems to have fixed the pre bios phase but not actually loading the os after. About 16 seconds if i counted correctly.

Asus has insisted all slowing that happens between powering on and having os open is due to ram issues.

i may have to get new SSDs installed to see if those were the issues that started the OS loading slowness

Is lower cl more important/faster than high mhz? Ive seen people recommend it more nowadays and i cant quite put together what is more important on ram anymore.
yes/no. Or, it depends.
cl is how long it takes to access ram data and the ram speed says how fast it comes once accessed.
At a given speed, lower cl is better.
But, if you divide the ram speed by the cl, it all comes out to about 200.
Ryzen is tightly tied to ram for performance.
OTOH, Intel processors are largely insensitive to ram speeds.

Go to task manager/cpu graph.
The startup tab will have the bios time in the upper right corner.
FWIW, nine says 12.8 seconds.

I really doubt that your ssd is the issue unless it is an off brand or defective.

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
yes/no. Or, it depends.
cl is how long it takes to access ram data and the ram speed says how fast it comes once accessed.
At a given speed, lower cl is better.
But, if you divide the ram speed by the cl, it all comes out to about 200.
Ryzen is tightly tied to ram for performance.
OTOH, Intel processors are largely insensitive to ram speeds.

Go to task manager/cpu graph.
The startup tab will have the bios time in the upper right corner.
FWIW, nine says 12.8 seconds.

I really doubt that your ssd is the issue unless it is an off brand or defective.
Task manager says between 30-40 seconds bios times normally.

I do doubt it but the os start times got slowed after plugging two in after building my new pc. One ssd had my old OS install and random files and the other had games.

Both came from an old pc that also had slow boot times after my cpu fan header broke and i had to use a case fan header. This made my pc freak out due to having no cpu coolers connected.

I fully wiped both SSDs after installing them into the new build and transferring some important files to my m.2.
Both SSDs are 860 evos from 2019 and 2021 respectively

I also have been thinking of getting new ram since my computer uses 30-50% on idle and 70–90% when doing pretty much anything that uses ram.
Ill try to fix this issue first but then maybe get a 48-64gb cl30 ram kit sometime in the future.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Task manager says between 30-40 seconds bios times normally.

I do doubt it but the os start times got slowed after plugging two in after building my new pc. One ssd had my old OS install and random files and the other had games.

Both came from an old pc that also had slow boot times after my cpu fan header broke and i had to use a case fan header. This made my pc freak out due to having no cpu coolers connected.

I fully wiped both SSDs after installing them into the new build and transferring some important files to my m.2.
Both SSDs are 860 evos from 2019 and 2021 respectively

I also have been thinking of getting new ram since my computer uses 30-50% on idle and 70–90% when doing pretty much anything that uses ram.
Ill try to fix this issue first but then maybe get a 48-64gb cl30 ram kit sometime in the future.
Then you have way to many things loading at start up that would account for the extra time and the amount of memory usage.

I'm using 16% of 32GB right now as I type.