[SOLVED] What should I be upgrading in this system ?

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
I want to edit/stream video games and need a decent system to do it all with.

If you do think of something I can upgrade please tell me what and why.

My budget is anything under 200 per new part
My system :
CPU : Ryzen 3 1200
GPU : RX 580
RAM : 2×4 VENGEANCE Corsair
HD : 1tb Western digital
SSD : Samsung Evo 850 250gb
PSU : VS550 CORSAIR
MOBO : as rock b350m - HDV

Solution
Your CPU most defiantly. Get a Ryzen 3600. But be sure to update your mobo BIOS while yous till have the 1200 installed.

The 580 is still a good card but the next upgrade worth getting would be a GTX 1660 Superor maybe a RX 550 XT. Personally I would take the 1660 Super over the 5500.

RAM: I would suggest 2x8GB of 3200mhz or faster

PSU: Get something better eventually, the VS is one of the worse PSUs made. Brand is irrelevant to the quality of power supplies. This is a fairly accurate guide https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/ . You dont need super high end but I wouldn't go below tier 2. And the Corsair CX and CX/M are more like tier 3, although its probably the best budget option these days.
Your CPU most defiantly. Get a Ryzen 3600. But be sure to update your mobo BIOS while yous till have the 1200 installed.

The 580 is still a good card but the next upgrade worth getting would be a GTX 1660 Superor maybe a RX 550 XT. Personally I would take the 1660 Super over the 5500.

RAM: I would suggest 2x8GB of 3200mhz or faster

PSU: Get something better eventually, the VS is one of the worse PSUs made. Brand is irrelevant to the quality of power supplies. This is a fairly accurate guide https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/ . You dont need super high end but I wouldn't go below tier 2. And the Corsair CX and CX/M are more like tier 3, although its probably the best budget option these days.

Reactions: OrdJk
Solution

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
The order I would upgrade:

1. CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (as said in the earlier comment by @richiestang_78 ), that's the best deal you can get today, and your motherboard will work with it.
  2. RAM: 2x8GB kit - 16GB is required by some games today, 8GB is getting less and less for gaming very quickly( example: Forza Horizon 4 has microstutters on any hardware with 8 gigs). Get something above 3000MHz as Ryzen benefits from the frequency.
  3. GPU: your RX 580 will be able to game @1080p high-ultra for another year or so, but you'll surely need to play around more with the graphics settings of AAA titles from next year or thereabouts.

However, the RX 5500 XT is not any better than the RX 580, so that's definitely not a good upgrade (not even an upgrade if you ask me).
    The GTX 1660 Super is also not much better than the RX 580 you have now, so I don't think it's worth spending money on for you - you'll not be much further ahead.

Instead, I suggest two options:
    -If you want a new GPU, get the RTX 2070 Super or the RX 5700 XT. These cards can do even 2k today, but if you stick to 1080p, they will last you 3-4 years or more easily, and until then, you can just crank the settings up to the maximum and enjoy stable high framerates.
    -If you're on a budget but still want to upgrade, get a used GTX 1070 Ti or GTX 1080. These two are quite similar in performance, the 1070 Ti can be had for around $200 on the used market, and is a very capable card, roughly on the level of the RX 5700 XT I mentioned above. The GTX 1080 gets closer to the 2070 Super for a few more bucks. This is what I'd do.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is that 200 total or 200 per part? How many parts? Where's your buying preference?

Cpu mentioned would be worth getting. Bios needs to be on v3.40 first before updating to later bios versions supporting Gen3. Explains what to do on the motherboard support page > Bios.

Since you only have two dimm slots, i'd go for 2x 16GB. 16 total is ok but going forward into the next few years 32 is going to be worth it. There isn't a QVL listing ram for Matisse (3rd gen cpus), only for Pinnacle (2nd gen 2600 etc) and Summit (Your cpu gen). I'd say Gskill CL16 anywhere between 3000~3600 should be fine.

Agree on changing PSU.

Another bigger SSD, 2TB either 2.5" Sata or Nvme. The usual 2.5" Sata for games would be fine as differences between Sata and Nvme concerning IO speeds isn't that much. Gaming on SSDs is far better than mechanical, not just for loading levels but assets loading on the fly. Gives a smoother experience. Editing and stuff would favor higher throughput from Nvme i guess? I'm not sure on that.

If you do get an Nvme SSD, i recommend looking at your manual which Sata connectors can be used and when. Because inserting an M2 Sata or Nvme can knock out a couple of normal Sata ports to allocate bandwidth. Some mobo's allow Sata port functionality if M2 SSD is Nvme (PCIe SSD) and not Sata. M2 Sata is different to 2.5" SSD. M2 is the form factor, the SSD's using this connector look like memory sticks, there are Sata and Nvme versions.

Last edited:

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I want to edit/stream video games and need a decent system to do it all with.

If you do think of something I can upgrade please tell me what and why.

My budget is anything under 200 per new part
My system :
CPU : Ryzen 3 1200
GPU : RX 580
RAM : 2×4 VENGEANCE Corsair
HD : 1tb Western digital
SSD : Samsung Evo 850 250gb
PSU : VS550 CORSAIR
MOBO : as rock b350m - HDV

In case the 3600 is too much for you (it's a bit above 200 dollars), you could get the Ryzen 2600 as well - it performs a bit worse, but you won't pair a 2080ti to it anyway.

TRENDING THREADS