What should I do? Upgrade my gpu from gtx 1050 ti to 1060 6gb or upgrade my monitor from 60 hz to 120hz?

Apr 10, 2018

CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.2 GHz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB

RAM: 8GB

Monitor: AOC 24" 1920x1080

PSU: 500W

Mouse: Logitech G502

Mouse pad: Steelseries QcK

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red

Headphone: HyperX Cloud II

Well, you would probably benefit more from the GTX 1060 6GB. It will allow you to increase graphics quality and still game at 60fps.

You should check out your power supply. There should be a sticker on it that says how many Amps (A) are on the +12V rail. Multiply them together and that's how many watts it can actually output to the main components. Sometimes cheap power supplies will say one thing, but can actually only output much less.

What are the rest of your parts?
What types of games do you play.
What is your psu?

In what way is your current setup not doing the job?

GTX1050ti is a good midrange card, I wonder if GTX1060 6gb is a big enough jump to make a difference.
Perhaps you need stronger.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you play fast action shooters, a faster monitor may be the way to go.
I think if I were to change a monitor, I would look to a higher resolution and wider monitor for a better gaming experience.

Apr 10, 2018

https://steamcommunity.com/id/gardendata61371/games/?tab=all

Your link does not work for me.
I was asking generally about the types of games you play.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

Apr 10, 2018

Mostly simulators.

Simulators, tend to be cpu limited and particularly single thread limited.
I occasionally run FSX.
On my side monitor with task manager, I see 100% cpu usage on all 6 cores of my i5-8600K.
That does not mean that it really needs that or even that the extra horsepower is particularly useful.
FSX is multithreaded, but the extra threads are used to load textures and are not the main performance driver.

You might get better advice from the forums that deal with the simulators you play.

Your i5-6500 has a passmark rating of 7238 and a single thread rating of 1947. Really quite good for most games.
With a lga1151 motherboard, the strongest cpu upgrade might be a i5-7700K with a rating of 12046 and 2583.
If your motherboard has a z chipset, that can be overclocked for a bit more

I am thinking yes.
If lowering your resolution and quality settings does not result in an increase in fps, it indicates that
a faster graphics card will not be that useful, and if a faster graphics card is not useful, then there is not much sense in buying a faster monitor.

Particularly for sims, I would entertain buying a wider monitor.

It all comes down to budget and your willingness to spend it.

Apr 10, 2018

I really want a smooth 60 fps without tearing and input lag. I think i'm asking too much.