Question What should i get for my next Headset / Headphone + Microphone combo?

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
Hello Everybody,

My current Hyperx Cloud 2s are getting pretty old and are slowly starting to fall apart so I was looking at a futur replacement.
I really liked them over the years and i could buy them again (63€) but maybe there is a better alternative now.

I want a new over ear Replacement I can use for Casual Gaming, YT watching and a bit of Music listening.
My Budget is around 80€ Maximum, i cant really go higher. If you are recomending a Headphone + Microphone combo i can go to 100€ combined. I can just get the Mic later.
I am already looking at a Sennheiser Game one (60€) or a SHP9600 (~62€) + a V-Moda Boompro (35€).
Which of these 2 options do you all think is better or do you have a completely different suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
Are you wanting wired or wireless headphones? Over ear, on ear or earbuds?
Must be over ear. Always was uncomfortable with my Glasses to have on ear headphones and i cant stand in-ear for long periods of time.
Otherwhise i dont really care if there is a cable hanging down or not

Then, these. They are a little more expensive than what you wanted to spend, but if you can manage it, you won't get any other wireless headphone, and probably not even a wired one, that has the same sound and build quality, as what I have in mind. What ACTUAL country are you in? Because, it matters. Quite a bit actually. Or rather, if ordering online, what would the preferred retailers be?

I'll give you the model once I know if it's even a feasible option for you. But as a hint, what I think is your better option is also a Sennheiser product.

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
Then, these. They are a little more expensive than what you wanted to spend, but if you can manage it, you won't get any other wireless headphone, and probably not even a wired one, that has the same sound and build quality, as what I have in mind. What ACTUAL country are you in? Because, it matters. Quite a bit actually. Or rather, if ordering online, what would the preferred retailers be?

I'll give you the model once I know if it's even a feasible option for you. But as a hint, what I think is your better option is also a Sennheiser product.
I live in Germany and i would prefer to order online. I dont really have any prefered retailers but idealy it shouldnt be importet from overseas. I tried reading into all the taxes stuff for a Massdrop option a few days ago and it just confused me. That is if the customs office even lets it through.

So, looks like Amazon Germany has the cans I was wanting to recommend but they are a bit more expensive there than they are here. Probably the Sennheiser HD 450BT is out of reach based on price unless you are able to stretch the budget, but the HD 350BT is only about 9 Euros more than your stated budget of 80, and they have very good sound for the price. The main difference between the HD 450BT and the HD 350BT is the active noise cancelling that the 450BT has. Both models have really excellent sound and I've had my HD 450BT's for about five or six years and I use them daily, and they still look like new. They do not fall apart or degrade at ALL from what I have seen, assuming of course that you take care of them and don't abuse them.

The Audio Technica ATH-M30x might be a good option too as they seem to score well in just about everybody's reviews, and can be had for a bit less than the Sennheiser cans.

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
So, looks like Amazon Germany has the cans I was wanting to recommend but they are a bit more expensive there than they are here. Probably the Sennheiser HD 450BT is out of reach based on price unless you are able to stretch the budget, but the HD 350BT is only about 9 Euros more than your stated budget of 80, and they have very good sound for the price. The main difference between the HD 450BT and the HD 350BT is the active noise cancelling that the 450BT has. Both models have really excellent sound and I've had my HD 450BT's for about five or six years and I use them daily, and they still look like new. They do not fall apart or degrade at ALL from what I have seen, assuming of course that you take care of them and don't abuse them.

The Audio Technica ATH-M30x might be a good option too as they seem to score well in just about everybody's reviews, and can be had for a bit less than the Sennheiser cans.
If i choose a refurbished model from Senneheisers own Page i could get the HD 450BT in budget actually.
The HD 350BT and the ATH-30MX look good yes, but what about a microphone? The V-Moda Boompro i listed isnt gonna work with those.
It doesnt need to be that good, its just for Discord, but it shouldnt be too expensive. If possible not a clip-on microphone.
BTW thanks for helping out so far! I never heard of those Sennheiser options you listed and from what i can see they do look good. I will look more into them

I don't have much experience with gaming microphones. Microphones for YT and other videos, sure, but totally separate from the cans. I can't help you there.

If you can get refurbished cans from Sennheiser, in budget, I'd be hard pressed to offer a better solution since we already know Sennheiser and Sony are at the top of the food chain when it comes to accurate sound reproduction with any kind of headphones.

But, Audio Technica have a lot of very good products too, that are generally more budget friendly. You won't get the same high quality or the same high end sound production, but you'll get "good" enough for considerably less. But refurbished from the source seems a good idea too. Especially if there is a decent warranty attached.

AbGe

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
my cloud II's fell apart on me also. i went and got the new logitech 733's and am very impressed.
They look cool but they are very slightly out of budget sadly. Maybe if they drop down more but i dont really count on that..
I don't have much experience with gaming microphones. Microphones for YT and other videos, sure, but totally separate from the cans. I can't help you there.

If you can get refurbished cans from Sennheiser, in budget, I'd be hard pressed to offer a better solution since we already know Sennheiser and Sony are at the top of the food chain when it comes to accurate sound reproduction with any kind of headphones.

But, Audio Technica have a lot of very good products too, that are generally more budget friendly. You won't get the same high quality or the same high end sound production, but you'll get "good" enough for considerably less. But refurbished from the source seems a good idea too. Especially if there is a decent warranty attached.
Well the refurbished 450BT cost 79.99€, the 350BT NEW cost 4€ less.
Warranty is 2 Years.
The ATH-30x are right in the middle at 77.00€
if push comes to shove i can maybe afford a Modmic depends on how much i can get extra from my BDay extenting my funds.

Now i dont wanna sound like i am ignoring your advice and all but how would you do these all these options compare to the SHP9600? Choosing one or the other is really pushing the costs higher

Two year warranty on refurbished HD 450BT for 80 bones seems like a pretty good deal to me. I think I paid like 150 US dollars for mine new, and I feel like it was not only well worth it, but that there STILL aren't any options that offer as much as these do within that price range so...............

The ONLY problem I can foresee with them is if you are somebody with a VERY large head, they might not be comfortable for long periods of use. If you have a somewhat normal melon, then it probably won't be an issue at all.