AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
I wanna get a tad bit more performance out of my CPU. I have an i9 9900k 3.6, however...

I do not have water cooling. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 along with some upgraded case fans. I don't want to crank this all the way to 5.1, I know my cooling specs couldn't hold up to that. But, I was thinking trying 4.0?

I have never overclocked before, I am still pretty new to all this. So I am wondering if I could even overclock at all, what I should overclock too, and what other settings I should change in BIOS depending on how much I decide to overclock.

Any and all responses will be much appreciated, thanks!

I'll give that a quick go, and wym by boosting to 5.0? Like I said, pretty new to all this
The cpu has the ability to boost to a maximum of 5.0GHz when conditions are right, normally it will be a little lower. See turbo boost under technical specification https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9900k.html

Overclocking is a big topic, best to Google and read several guides first for the cpu and motherboard. It’s more than someone can post here.

Stock specs would have it boosting on all cores to 4.7 GHz; monitor your temps during something moderately stressful like CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU

If temps are at even 80-84C within 3 min, I'd say that cooler is not cutting it...

Using Intel's XTU app, however, you could certainly specify lower than all-core max turbos (4.5 GHz maybe?), which might be helpful with limited cooling....

TRENDING THREADS