[SOLVED] What should I upgrade my Zotac GTX 1060 3GB to?

baltais99

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
So I built my pc 3 years ago and im looking for ways to improve it, only for gaming purposes. I can run RDR2 on high settings with (40-50fps), and AC odyssey with med settings for (40-50fs also), but it feels like with every new game for example H:ZD, i have to really downgrade my graphics to play at least at 40 fps :(
So my question is, can i ONLY with graphics card upgrade prolong this pc build(because from my understanding, i have pretty good CPU), or should i start completely from scratch ? My upgrade budget is 300$ and with it, what card i should buy ?

SPECS:
GPU: gtx 1060 3gb zotac,
CPU: intel i5 7500 3.4Ghz
RAM: 1x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2400MHz DDR4,
PSU : vs550
Motherboard : MSI ms-7a70

Solution
I agree that 4c/4t is going to hold them back, and your test is a good idea. Single channel ram, and a very weak card are not helping the situation, and probably more of an issue here.

Upgrading to an i7 7700 would be a poor buy, and anything else requires a new motherboard, which imo, faster ram should be done, at that point as well. Recent reviews have shown ram speed affects gaming, in newer titles. This would also cost more than the current budget.

Personally, I would wait, until there is enough money for a new build, especially with new CPU's and GPU's coming, later this year. 4th gen ryzen will cause 3rd gen prices to drop significantly.
As a test lower your game resolution, for example if you normally run 1080p try using 720p. If your FPS stays about the same you are already limited by your cpu, if your FPS goes up you should seek some benefit from a new gpu.

Unfortunately the older quad core and quad thread i5’s are having a hard time in newer AAA games that benefit from more threads. Also having a single stick of slow DDR4 and only 8gb probably isn’t helping.

While your CPU could use a boost, upgrading it and getting a (required) matching new motherboard is a lot of $$$ and you'll still have low fps, so I'd say deal with that later.

The two best things you could do for your setup right now is:

1. Buy the exact same stick of RAM so that you can have 2x 8GB in dual-channel

2. Buy a RTX 2060.

While your CPU could use a boost, upgrading it and getting a (required) matching new motherboard is a lot of $$$ and you'll still have low fps, so I'd say deal with that later.

The two best things you could do for your setup right now is:

1. Buy the exact same stick of RAM so that you can have 2x 8GB in dual-channel

2. Buy a RTX 2060.
If the OP is already cpu limited (entirely possible) then getting a 2060 isn’t going to improve the FPS which is the main ask here. As for buying an additional stick of RAM is should be pointed out that mixing RAM bought separately does have a risk of issues although often works ok.

logainofhades

Titan
If the OP is already cpu limited (entirely possible) then getting a 2060 isn’t going to improve the FPS which is the main ask here. As for buying an additional stick of RAM is should be pointed out that mixing RAM bought separately does have a risk of issues although often works ok.

They are not CPU limited, with their current card. The 1060 3gb is basically GTX 970 territory. Even an RX 570, given AMD's fine wine approach to drivers, is a bit better now, than that card. I agree that a matching stick of ram, and a new GPU are the way to go here. Single channel kills gaming performance, in many newer titles, and their GPU is kinda weak, given the demanding games being played. Given the budget, it would force them into something like a GTX 1660, but that is still a sizable improvement, over that 1060 3gb.

Yes starting over would be the ideal situation, but that would require a more substantial budget.

They are not CPU limited, with their current card. The 1060 3gb is basically GTX 970 territory. Even an RX 570, given AMD's fine wine approach to drivers, is a bit better now, than that card. I agree that a matching stick of ram, and a new GPU are the way to go here. Single channel kills gaming performance, in many newer titles, and their GPU is kinda weak, given the demanding games being played. Given the budget, it would force them into something like a GTX 1660, but that is still a sizable improvement, over that 1060 3gb.

Yes starting over would be the ideal situation, but that would require a more substantial budget.
I don’t hold the same optimism that they are not cpu limited already. The games listed are known to max out 4 thread CPU’s hence my recommendation of testing a lower resolution to see if FPS improve. It doesn’t cost anything to test and see if there is any cpu headroom left.

logainofhades

Titan
I agree that 4c/4t is going to hold them back, and your test is a good idea. Single channel ram, and a very weak card are not helping the situation, and probably more of an issue here.

Upgrading to an i7 7700 would be a poor buy, and anything else requires a new motherboard, which imo, faster ram should be done, at that point as well. Recent reviews have shown ram speed affects gaming, in newer titles. This would also cost more than the current budget.

Personally, I would wait, until there is enough money for a new build, especially with new CPU's and GPU's coming, later this year. 4th gen ryzen will cause 3rd gen prices to drop significantly.

Solution