Question What should I upgrade to? Please ask as many questions as necessary to come to a good solution.

Rece

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
So it's time to buy new pc parts, the parts in question that need to be changed are my motherboard (Aorus x470 gaming 5 wifi), CPU (ryzen 7 5800x), RAM (32 GB Trident z royal). I just ordered a new 7800xt GPU. Any idea what I should get to replace the above parts? I've been out of the pc parts loop for a year or so. Not sure what to get. I'm going for an all-white build. I have white fans, cables, and a new 360mm AIO. These are the last infinity stones, suggest/teach away. Thank you!

Last edited:

Rece

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
Are you sure about that lol?

What will the pc be used for?

Do you have a power supply already? If so, what brand/model is it? If you need a power supply, id only advise going for a good one from a reputable brand with 10yr warranty.

Wait for Ryzen 9000 series i think.

Rece

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
Just curious how you've decided that "it's time", as that would direct my thoughts on what to upgrade. What problems/issues are you hoping to address?
great question, well I had a 3060ti gpu and wanted something better. So I got a 7800xt. Now I bought a 360mm AIO and for some reason, i cant use the RGB header they come with on my current motherboard. If i am going to get a new motherboard because mine is 6 years old i might as well go to AM5, so now I need a new cpu and ram. That's it, now time to find what I need to buy or wait for. I don't want to wait for the "new" stuff because all these companies price gouge. So this is where Im at haha

Rece

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
That's very well and good but had to ask. You'd be surprised by how many buy junk psus. You'll find most helpers here are thoughtful and go beyond.
Totally understand, they think it doesnt matter most times. Ive been building pcs and such for a few years but just dont keep up with the new thing they release every other day. So figured Id ask you guys.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
great question, well I had a 3060ti gpu and wanted something better. So I got a 7800xt. Now I bought a 360mm AIO and for some reason, i cant use the RGB header they come with on my current motherboard. If i am going to get a new motherboard because mine is 6 years old i might as well go to AM5, so now I need a new cpu and ram. That's it, now time to find what I need to buy or wait for. I don't want to wait for the "new" stuff because all these companies price gouge. So this is where Im at haha
Still not clear why you want to upgrade. "Wanted something better" is too open ended. Are you upgrading for the sake of upgrading? Or is there a specific application need?

If it's the former then it's a moving target, and the only recommendation here is for you to buy whatever makes you feel good... If the latter, then we can go to town with advising on specifics.

Rece

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
Still not clear why you want to upgrade. "Wanted something better" is too open ended. Are you upgrading for the sake of upgrading? Or is there a specific application need?

If it's the former then it's a moving target, and the only recommendation here is for you to buy whatever makes you feel good...
I guess it for the sake of upgrading but was hoping to understand what would work well or be necessary especially with CPU or if its even worth upgrading to AM5.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I guess it for the sake of upgrading but was hoping to understand what would work well or be necessary especially with CPU or if its even worth upgrading to AM5.
In that case, sensible adult me would advise on not buying anything and saving up until you have a tangible need to upgrade.

Irrational pleasure-seeking me would advise on buying the best you can within your budget. Personally I wouldn't have gone 7800XT as that's somewhat marginal for 4K 60fps gaming, and lacking in Tensor cores / NVENC for creative apps.

Rece

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
In that case, sensible adult me would advise on not buying anything and saving up until you have a tangible need to upgrade.

Irrational pleasure-seeking me would advise on buying the best you can within your budget. Personally I wouldn't have gone 7800XT as that's somewhat marginal for 4K 60fps gaming, and lacking in Tensor cores / NVENC for creative apps.
didnt want to end up spending more for a nvidia card when I dont use the production aspect of the cards. Just didnt make sense to me. It beats out the 4070 in most things, dont care for the nvidia markup and lack of usability personally.