What The Flix? Netflix 4K Streaming Requires Kaby Lake, Windows 10, Edge Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinken

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
"It makes one wonder if there aren't some hidden forces in the background pulling strings to ensure that the average consumer has a reason to upgrade their computers"

-The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Will as I am planning to sub in a netflix like in the future and after seeing this I 100% remove NetFlix from the list, also I am thinking about upgrading my PC next year if AMD not going to solve the problem of compatibility Zen with pre-windows 10 then I am getting Skylake and will stick with this as I hate Win10 and what I hate more is someone to force their things on me.

Brock_Samson

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
So this is in regards to streaming "Gilmore Girls" in 4K from a PC. Any word on streaming this from other devices such as 4K roku players, 4K smart tvs, or 4K gaming consoles?

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I suspect it will not be available for streaming through an app.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
I use to consider Microsoft as just being annoying (in regards to their OS). Since the transition into Windows 8 and above they've definitely taken a step towards the dark side. Tracking, removal of control on updates, advertising, etc. I now dual boot (main desktop and laptop) Windows and Mint Linux. Windows is now only used for gaming, Linux for everything else.

4K for Gilmore Girls?? Why??

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
I think we are all avoiding the real issue here. Why Gilmore Girls for crying out loud. Not to disparage anyone here, but seriously. How many Gilmore Girls fans are going to understand what this combination of hardware even means? Let alone have it?

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I assume this show is available on any 4K Netflix device. The intersection of PC enthusiasts and Gilmore Girls fans is probably very small.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Actually Edge is faster that the most beloved Chrome, on low power computers Edge has proved to be a very fast indeed, the only problem here is that there is this hatebandwagon trend to hate on anything built by MS, even though most of the people don`t even have a paid Windows license.

Google plays dirty on their side as well, but since you all gave into their ecosystem you don`t feel the problem nor do you eknowledge it ..

That being said, this is still a dick move from Netflix / Microsoft to push people into certain programs for such a common thing as 4K.

G

No, it requires Kaby Laky or or any other Intel or AMD CPU if you have let's say 1070/1080 video card. This article is completely wrong not due Tom's Hardware fault but miscommunication by Microsoft.

Just Gilmore Girls? No loss there for me and my family.

Just don't like the precedence this sets/enforces. Only in part does it have to do with Microsoft's push into the most privacy invasive OS from them to date and the push for their browser... Yes, Google has its own invasive techniques when you use Chrome itself and Google's other technologies, but Chromium and other browsers that use the engine are cleaner in that respect... DRM in and of itself has the evil side of it can easily be used to squash competition in markets. This exploits that evil side. (I feel DRM is also a waste of resources as the "hacker" community doesn't have much of a problem getting around it anyway.)

extremepenguin

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
It's already been explained elsewhere that this is only for people who aren't using the app, or another 4K streaming device. The Kabby Lake requirement is because it is the first Intel processor that has a beefy enough GPU to output in 4K and the Edge browser requirement is because it has better support for the codec that Netflix is using and it will likely come to Chrome shortly as Google hates being one upped by Microsoft. If you use the Netflix App or your have an actual video card that is capable of outputting 4K already then you have no worries. This is just an elaborate cross promotional thing to sell the new Kabby Lake laptops which are a surprising improvement and to let everybody know that the new Gilmore Girls series is happening all in time for Black Friday.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

I haven't done any speed testing or whatnot, but I can say that Edge lacks features that other browsers have. For instance, if I accidentally close a window with multiple tabs, I cannot just hit a button and re-open the window. That is no bueno. That is why I don't use Edge, which I agree is plenty fast. In fact, I would likely use it over Chrome if it had that feature.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
So how much did Intel and Microsoft pay for this endorsement to Netflix??? And don't give me that crap because Kaby Lake has some added hardware that previous CPU's don't have. And older OS doesn't either. Because I ain't buying it. I'll just use the new 4K Chromecast.

People on the internet are such aholes. This seems like more of a technical limitation due to DRM than anything. Netflix doesn't actually care if people are bootlegging movies, but the movie studios which license to netflix do, so netflix has to do it's job to protect movies from being bootlegged. Otherwise, they'll lose licensing and are going to have a hard time getting movies licensed in the future.

Most computers can't play h.265 hvec through hardware decoding yet, and only the kaby lake can decode it with new DRM technology. So kaby lake is a requirement, and i'm guessing only the Edge browser has support for the new DRM. So it's not like netflix is trying to limit PC's, it's because the hardware and software aren't there yet.

el_vato

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
I am not sure if it has already been said, but to get 1080p you HAVE TO use explorer or edge, it is not available on other browsers.

From Intel: Dear netflix, please require our newest line of processors for all 4K streaming. It totally won't upset anyone that just got a Skylake CPU like 2 months ago.

Stupid...
Truth is anyone with a decent video card can run 4K. The reference they were making is if you have cr4ppy onboard video which excludes most of us.

This is hilarious. A public service message preempting an event very few if any of us were even aware of. Likely to set the stage for what they fear will be low enthusiasm and turn out so they can say 'well it's no wonder, not many people could enjoy it in all its 4k goodness because of all these limitations - yea, that's why the turn out was so low'. They lost me at 'gilmore girls', no worries, crisis averted. :p

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"It also requires the cringe-worthy Edge browser"

Seriously? I I though there would be professionalism involved.

I mean you know, Edge is safer, faster and more efficient than any other browser on the market, but sure, "cringe worthy"/

Status
Not open for further replies.