What the PS3 Needs to Compete with Kenect

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now that we've seen the conference I'd give this advice to Sony: Do the exact opposite of MS. Kinect is an embarassment. Nearly all the games are either fitness or dance or wii sports clones. Sony claimed that eyetoy had limitations that meant they ran into a brick wall in terms of the variety of games you can do without a controller, and I now really believe that's true. Sony should just continue to announce and support their core games, and bring at least some core support to Move. Cos Kinect has none, and MS had a sum total of one new core game announcement. Appalling.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I don't think that MS is making any of the right moves. Nintendo seems the only console maker who has stuck with the concept of just put out a console and don't mess with it. This is why they have been successful all these years. The whole point of a console is that no changes are made. Otherwise, you just PC and upgrade that. Granted, no upgrades are required, but it seems like there is quite a divergence from the original system that I bought 5 years ago. No big deal, though.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
"even if it does not look that much better than what Nintendo has had for almost four years now"
I know this article is about sales this year but in the future Sony should incorporate some type of "Kinect" so you both have the body tracking and the really precise move.

I don't know which one is better, both have their dis/advantages so a combination would be the best.

madnes2004

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I think the connect will be a flop. In concept, it used up to 10% of the CPU power just to run. Unless MS decided to put decent hardware into the Kinect to take some of the load, it wont be much different now. That is going to kill games potential, and the PS Move will dominate with the superior graphics and game potential. all just speculation though

festerovic

Distinguished
If the rumors are correct, and the PS3 will drop to $199, I think you can remove the last barrier anyone would have in buying a PS3. That is really a cheap price for the box, considering what it can do. I use mine as a media machine 1st, then as a game machine. It's still worth $299 to me. Could care less about 3d, good luck getting people to support that after everyone just finished moving to HD.

As for Kinect, I simply don't see the attraction. I don't want to wave my arms around. I want to sit on the couch, conserving as much energy as possible, and not think about the heat of summer heating my house. Once the novelty wears off, what exactly is innovative?

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
You lost me at "I must have had tomatoes in my ears while eating lunch"

A nearly 5 year old console redesign, that brings little to the table shouldn't warrant any excitement. They just sized it down and integrated the wireless, that's it, in 5 years. It's a last ditch effort to capitalize before the next generation. Why buy into this mess.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Kinect is garbage. I saw the demos of Move on the engadget show and it looked pretty cool. But really, i don't think either of these will be burning up the sales charts.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Console gaming is turning into a ocean of Gimmicks. Hopefully this will convince more dev's to develop for Steam, er, PC that is.[/citation]

No what will cause dev's to shift back to PC will be the reduction of boot legged games. Something consoles have the upper hand in.

There is a direct correlation between the increase of PC games piracy and the decline of PC games developed by devs.

Keep illegally downloading and pirating those games and soon PC devs will be extinct.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]xophaser[/nom]the kinect should be compatible with the PC as far as I am concern.[/citation]

Natal was reportedly to have a PC version as well when it was first announced in E3 '09.

MS will probably use 360 as the guinea pig to see if it flies first before putting it on the PC if anything.

By that time someone will have developed a USB driver to use natal on PC, just like how there was an 360 hd-dvd usb driver to use the hd-dvd add-on on pc way back when.

G

You people who whine over a misspelled word piss me off more than the act itself. No one cares if they spelled a word wrong - so shut up and post something relevant.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]You people who whine over a misspelled word piss me off more than the act itself. No one cares if they spelled a word wrong - so shut up and post something relevant.[/citation]

so that was relevant?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I don't want to complain about a spelling error. I do however object to people mixing their metaphors.
Selling like - HOT CAKES.
Next best thing since SLICED BREAD.

G

[citation][nom]porksmuggler[/nom]so that was relevant?[/citation]
Yes, because it's addressing the problem.

Edit:
"Oh the irony of telling someone to stay on topic, then not posting anything about the topic, but yeah, you don't get it, no problem."

Apparently you can't read. Where in my post does it say to stay on topic.? I'm saying to post something relevant and to not whine like a baby over spilled milk. I'll put it in your words though. You don't get it, no problem. I'm done with you, porky.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Yes, because it's addressing the problem.[/citation]

That's funny, I thought you meant shut up and post something relevant to the topic, you know, about the Xbox 360. Oh the irony of telling someone to stay on topic, then not posting anything about the topic, but yeah, you don't get it, no problem.

gravitybell07

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]porksmuggler[/nom]That's funny, I thought you meant shut up and post something relevant to the topic, you know, about the Xbox 360. Oh the irony of telling someone to stay on topic, then not posting anything about the topic, but yeah, you don't get it, no problem.[/citation]
wow you dont understand what he's saying at all i think your the one who doesn't get it lol

G

Motion sensing games are stupid and unless they are making an exercise routine like the mandated kind that Winston Smith uses in 1984 I don't see it becoming popular.
I know I wouldn't want to plug my life into Microsoft or anything else for that matter.
But it's for games and fun and entertainment, right?
Well, just keep drinking your chemicals and believe what you are told to believe and everything will be alright.
Microsoft is your friend.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I find this article somewhat frivolous and wishful thinking (which is surprising on Tom's for me). Also, all of this is just to finally jump on the motion sensing 3D bandwagon the entertainment industry thinks is the next big thing. As much as the interface from Minority Report was cool, it was just that, cool.

Unless either Kinect or Move comes out with a blockbuster title (something the Wii hasn't really managed yet with its own motion control design), I could care less about any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS