[SOLVED] What to buy? External Hard Drive Enclosure or HDD Docking Station?

Konskoo

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
I want to buy HDD and External Hard Drive Enclosure or HDD Docking Station. I will connect it to computer via USB. I will write on this HDD system backups, current sound work files backups, sound work files archive. I run Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

I want to buy HDD Western Digital WD_BLACK, 3.5", 1 TB, 7200 rpm, Cache Size 64 MB, WD1003FZEX.

What to use with this HDD? External Hard Drive Enclosure or HDD Docking Station?

Does External Hard Drive Enclosure have any advantages?

Does HDD Docking Station have any advantages?

I want to buy HDD and External Hard Drive Enclosure or HDD Docking Station. I will connect it to computer via USB. I will write on this HDD system backups, current sound work files backups, sound work files archive. I run Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

I want to buy HDD Western Digital WD_BLACK, 3.5", 1 TB, 7200 rpm, Cache Size 64 MB, WD1003FZEX.

What to use with this HDD? External Hard Drive Enclosure or HDD Docking Station?

Does External Hard Drive Enclosure have any advantages?

Does HDD Docking Station have any advantages?

Apart from the ability to quick swap drives no there's no advantage.

Also its generally cheaper to buy an external drive already in case than buy an internal drive and an enclosure seperately.

Reactions: Konskoo

USAFRet

Titan
The only advantage of a docking station is if you have multiple drives, and want to change them out. Or, when someone gives you a drive to analyze.

But why only 1TB?
An 8TB Seagate is only $125 currently.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07CQJBSQL

5400 vs 7200 is not as great a diff as it sounds, especially going through USB, and especially for backups and archives.

Reactions: Konskoo
Solution

Konskoo

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
@madmatt30, @popatim, @USAFRet

madmatt30, popatim, USAFRet, thank you for your opinions. I took into attention.

You going to spend about $100 between the drive and the enclosure, right?

popatim, I want to buy HDD Western Digital WD_BLACK, 3.5", 1 TB, 7200 rpm, Cache Size 64 MB, WD1003FZEX. $69.99. https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-desktop-sata-hdd#WD1003FZEX

And I want to buy ORICO USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station. OR-6619US3-BK. $21.99. https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Drive-Docking-Station-Supports/dp/B00CE65C4W/

$69.99 + $21.99 = $91.98

So, yes, I am going to spend about $100 between the HDD and Hard Drive Docking Station.

In Hard Drive Docking Station HDD stands vertical. In External Hard Drive Enclosure HDD lays.

Does External Hard Drive Enclosure have any advantages in compare with HDD Docking Station?

Does HDD Docking Station have any advantages in compare with External Hard Drive Enclosure?

USAFRet

Titan
What was wrong with the answers in your previous question on this topic?

Konskoo

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020