What to look for when buying a laptop for video calls

kaif84

Prominent
Mar 18, 2020
Hi all. I'm planning to buy a new laptop. The main purpose I use the laptop for is making video calls to my clients. What specifications should I look for?

I have the fastest internet connection available here in India - 1Gbps on ethernet. I'd also like to buy the best machine I can afford to facilitate high quality calls.

I'm on a low budget. Do I really need a high budget for this requirement? I've heard that Macs are good for video calls, but I cannot afford them.

Thanks.

Hi all. I'm planning to buy a new laptop. The main purpose I use the laptop for is making video calls to my clients. What specifications should I look for?

I have the fastest internet connection available here in India - 1Gbps on ethernet. I'd also like to buy the best machine I can afford to facilitate high quality calls.

I'm on a low budget. Do I really need a high budget for this requirement? I've heard that Macs are good for video calls, but I cannot afford them.

Thanks.
Think I'd look at the ipads, laptop cameras aren't great. Or you could get a laptop and a separate camera for video calls.

If you are looking for a professional look, you want to use an external setup with a nice mic not just what is built into a system. You will have more options to point it how you like it and the quality should be better as well. I would go with a lapel mic and a webcam. I have used a bunch of them, the Logitech C920s is good as is the Microsoft Lifecam (this one has a nice lens) if you want to keep costs down. This mic has pretty good reviews and is cheap https://www.amazon.com/BOYA-Lavalier-Microphone-Smartphones-Camcorders/dp/B00MRMU2HU This way the volume and video quality won't change if you move a bit.

I would also get a small tripod so you can move the camera around, or a full size one if you will not be around a desk.

For a laptop to use for this, really anything will handle HD video calls, a used $150 one, a new $800 one will all be about the same for your use.

If you are looking for a professional look, you want to use an external setup with a nice mic not just what is built into a system. You will have more options to point it how you like it and the quality should be better as well. I would go with a lapel mic and a webcam. I have used a bunch of them, the Logitech C920s is good as is the Microsoft Lifecam (this one has a nice lens) if you want to keep costs down. This mic has pretty good reviews and is cheap https://www.amazon.com/BOYA-Lavalier-Microphone-Smartphones-Camcorders/dp/B00MRMU2HU This way the volume and video quality won't change if you move a bit.

I would also get a small tripod so you can move the camera around, or a full size one if you will not be around a desk.

For a laptop to use for this, really anything will handle HD video calls, a used $150 one, a new $800 one will all be about the same for your use.
Yeah the only laptop I can think of with a decent mic is the MacBook pro and webcams have stalled for the last 10 years.