[SOLVED] What to upgrade

mattbeevers

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
My system -
i5 4690k Overclocked to 4.2Ghz
GTX 1060 6GB
Which am I best upgrading to gain fps in games. (Warzone)
Currently get 80-90fps on low settings. Want to get closer to 144fps

Solution
So I’ve just monitored both CPU and GPU whilst playing Warzone.
GPU was running at around 40/50%
CPU showed all 4 cores running at Close to 100% What sort of FPS increase could I expect upgrading to an 8 core CPU (Ryzen 7 2700x)
You will need to find reviews of similar setups for expected FPS but that will be a decent upgrade. You have shown the cpu is the problem and the gpu has unused potential.

As for using an i7 they tend to be overpriced and while yes it’s better the gains are not worth the cost and the cost is a good way toward a decent upgrade to a modern platform.

mattbeevers

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
CPU showed all 4 cores running at Close to 100% What sort of FPS increase could I expect upgrading to an 8 core CPU (Ryzen 7 2700x)

You will need to find reviews of similar setups for expected FPS but that will be a decent upgrade. You have shown the cpu is the problem and the gpu has unused potential.

As for using an i7 they tend to be overpriced and while yes it’s better the gains are not worth the cost and the cost is a good way toward a decent upgrade to a modern platform.

Solution

mattbeevers

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
Problem with this is that an i7 will probably cost as much as an AMD Rzyen 3600 or 2700X as you are looking at and with better performance from these last is there little to desire in upgrading just cpu.
Yeah I was looking into this over the weekend. Think I’ll upgrade to a 8core Ryzen and with a new MB. I should be ok re using my RAM. Thanks for your help. What are your thoughts on the Ryzen 7 2700x? Value for money?

mattbeevers

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks for your reply. I’m going to upgrade MB and get and Ryzen 7 8 core. Want a 2060 Super aswell but may have to save for an extra couple of months.

Thanks for your reply. I’m going to upgrade MB and get and Ryzen 7 8 core. Want a 2060 Super aswell but may have to save for an extra couple of months.
In which case you might as well hold out and see what the new 3000 series GPU’s offers. If you can live with your current setup for a few months the Ryzen 4000 series will be out and promise to bring reasonable performance gains over 3000 series. Normally I would say upgrade when you need to but as we are so close to new cpu and GPU’s both of which promise good gains I think you are best to wait and keep saving.

jitendrad

Notable
Dec 28, 2018
2700x isn't much of a upgrade in terms of performance. Aim for a bit higher and if possible do wait a bit more for the 4000 series of CPU and GPU's to arrive in the market. And in my opinion, you better start upgrading from the scratch.