Question What upgrade RAM should I get..?

Aug 9, 2024
Hi all,

I'm looking to increase the RAM in my desktop PC - the current specs are:
Motherboard MSI Pro B760M-P DDR4 (4 RAM slots)
RAM Kingston 16GB DDR4-3600MHz CL17 DIMM (kit of 2x8GB)

I want to increase the amount of RAM to at least 32GB, ideally by adding to the existing RAM rather than replacing it (cost!). I understand that having different RAM sticks in the same motherboard may cause problems, so I have a few questions...

1. Can I add larger size RAM sticks - e.g. new 2x16GB to sit alongside the existing 2x8GB?

2. Can I add a single stick to the existing pair, or must I get another pair?

3. I assume that the speed of the new RAM must be the same as the existing RAM (3600MHz in this case)?
What happens if it's not - e.g. new RAM is 3200MHz, will the entire RAM just run at the lower speed (3200MHz), or is this potentially going to cause compatibility issues and should be avoided?

4. How important is CLI matching? My existing RAM is CLI17 which seems uncommon, would either CLI16 or 18 work alongside the existing RAM without problems?

5. If the new RAM has compatible specs with the existing RAM, but is from a different manufacturer, will that cause problems?

6. What other compatibility issues do I need to be aware of?

7. If I decide to completely replace the existing RAM, what is the real world advantage of using a pair of RAM sticks rather than 1 stick (e.g. 2x16GB vs 1x32GB)?

Many thanks!

Andy_C_

Lutfij

Titan
1| Drop identical sticks of ram, meaning same make and model all the way down tot he latencies.
2| Get a ram kit.
3| Instability, grey hairs, no hairs or maybe even rage quit moments = you won't like it.
4| Look at ram upgrades like you would with a set of tires for your car, they should be balanced/matched.
5| read 1|
6| Dual channel over single channel, you extract performance out of your platform.

If you want to look at a ram upgrade and to make it worthwhile, try and look at a tighter latency while also going for a larger capacity sticks/ram kit. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, prior to upgrading ram on your platform.

Aug 9, 2024
1| Drop identical sticks of ram, meaning same make and model all the way down tot he latencies.
2| Get a ram kit.
3| Instability, grey hairs, no hairs or maybe even rage quit moments = you won't like it.
4| Look at ram upgrades like you would with a set of tires for your car, they should be balanced/matched.
5| read 1|
6| Dual channel over single channel, you extract performance out of your platform.

If you want to look at a ram upgrade and to make it worthwhile, try and look at a tighter latency while also going for a larger capacity sticks/ram kit. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, prior to upgrading ram on your platform.
Thanks Lutfij,

Sounds like all of my questions are moot - i.e. the only way to add to the existing RAM and ensure that there are no problems is to get identical RAM (same make, specs, model)..?

Or, just replace the existing RAM.

Andy_C_