Question What went wrong with yesterday's slew of Windows Updates?

David_652

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
Something went wrong with yesterday's Windows 10 updates. I applied the patches, and the next thing I knew, the C drive had only about 37GB of free space. I found a new folder in the root of the drive with a wonky name, including special characters and a parenthesis. The folder was half the drive in size, and all the subfolders likewise had wonky names of random characters.

I ran WinDirStat and TreeSize to find the offending folder. I originally discovered the issue when DISM could not finish. I ran an anti-malware solution, which found nothing. I knew the folders had no reason or purpose, so I deleted them. Then I found hiberfil.sys, and the paging file were huge and way out of proportion. I removed the hiberfil.sys, which shouldn't have been there as I had already turned off all sleep and hibernation some time ago. I set the paging file to a custom size equal to the current size and rebooted. It was back to normal size, and advanced settings showed it was already set back to system-managed.

I ran SFC and found and fixed corrupted files. I ran DISM, and it finished without issue. Start Menu Experience Host also had issues yesterday and crashed after the updates. I ran CHKDSK, and this morning there are no issues. Reliability Monitor shows no issues since the original problem began.

So, has anyone had problems due to yesterday's many updates? What did you experience? And what else should I check and run to ensure I have no remaining issues?

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 22H2

reason I ask is 22H2 came out last week, its possible you got the version update although that folder size is strange, the windows.old folder should only be 18gb