[SOLVED] What would be a good motherboard upgrade?

Guitto26

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
Hi, this is my current PC but i feel like the motherboard I have is really out of date and needs some upgrading. So here are my pc specs; What would be a good motherboard that isnt extremely too expensive that i could upgrade?

CPU: Intel quad core i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43 ATX
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB 2133MHz (2x8GB)
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB
Hard Drive: Stagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
PSU: Antec 750w
Case: BitFenix Neos ATX tower case
OP: Windows 10

Solution
ive got a 144hz monitor + 60hz one
1080P?

You have a good system, really the only thing I could think of upgrade wise that would be worthwhile is the GPU or SSD if you have a few games with longer loading screens that could benefit from it.

The next "big" upgrade would be the CPU/MB/RAM but I'd hold off for now as Ryzen X570 (PCIE 4.0) boards are expensive and Intel should be coming out with there 10th gen (Comet Lake).

Guitto26

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
It would be difficult to find a good Z97 board for a good price nowadays since it's older. If your considering changing the motherboard then you might as well change the CPU & RAM (Platform upgrade).

Is there an issue with your current motherboard?
the bit where you put in the gpu, where it clicks its broken so i only have 1 slot. It also just seems like its been used for too long. Does it have to be a Z97? or is there a different option ?

WildCard999

Titan
There are other options however most of them are either cheap and low end H81 boards or very expensive and most of these options are used, not new. While the 4790K is still a good CPU even by today's standard there's really no reason to dump money into an older platform when the board itself still works fine, plus those cheaper options probably won't support your faster DDR3 memory. Also the Z97 is the newest 1150 socket motherboard so what you have is essentially the newest for Haswell/Devil's Canyon CPU's.

WildCard999

Titan
ive got a 144hz monitor + 60hz one
1080P?

You have a good system, really the only thing I could think of upgrade wise that would be worthwhile is the GPU or SSD if you have a few games with longer loading screens that could benefit from it.

The next "big" upgrade would be the CPU/MB/RAM but I'd hold off for now as Ryzen X570 (PCIE 4.0) boards are expensive and Intel should be coming out with there 10th gen (Comet Lake).

Solution