Question What's better; using a wifi adapter plugged into your motherboard (RJ45) or USB?

Mar 18, 2024
My PC doesn't have built in wi-fi and I have a couple adapter type devices. One plugs into my PC by 'USB' (Asus N66) and one plugs into the motherboard by I think 'RJ45' (Orbie Satellite)... The Orbie is newer and faster, but I was wondering, if they were both equally new and fast, which plugin type would be ideal, 'Motherboard' or 'USB'?

If they both supported the same wifi standard I suspect the performance would be the same.

The ethernet connected device your pc has no concept it is wifi. It just think it is a slower ethenet connection, it would think the same thing is you say used powerline networks which also connect via ethernet.

The USB device there is a device driver and the pc is actually talking to the wifi chip. On the ethernet device the small cpu chip in the device is doing that function and it talks to your computer via ethernet.

Mostly the difference is you can use a 100 meter long ethernet cable compared to maybe 15ft of USB cable.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
From what I can tell, Orbi Satellites are wireless bridges and repeaters for mesh networking. So whilst they function as Ethernet access for a computer with no wifi adapter, they do much more than the Asus USB receiver.

If your PC is already sitting next to the Orbi then I’d just connect to it via an Ethernet cable to the motherboard RH45 port.

Reactions: thestryker
Mar 18, 2024
From what I can tell, Orbi Satellites are wireless bridges and repeaters for mesh networking. So whilst they function as Ethernet access for a computer with no wifi adapter, they do much more than the Asus USB receiver.

If your PC is already sitting next to the Orbi then I’d just connect to it via an Ethernet cable to the motherboard RH45 port.
Okay, thanks for the help, that really helps. That's what I was thinking.

Mar 18, 2024
If they both supported the same wifi standard I suspect the performance would be the same.

The ethernet connected device your pc has no concept it is wifi. It just think it is a slower ethenet connection, it would think the same thing is you say used powerline networks which also connect via ethernet.

The USB device there is a device driver and the pc is actually talking to the wifi chip. On the ethernet device the small cpu chip in the device is doing that function and it talks to your computer via ethernet.

Mostly the difference is you can use a 100 meter long ethernet cable compared to maybe 15ft of USB cable.
Sounds good. Thanks for the help.