[SOLVED] Whats causing my high ping?

Das_EFX

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Hi,

I have been struggling with high ping for a while now but up until recently, the ping has gotten so high (250+) that it is becoming unbearable.

I downloaded PingPlotter and traced my connection to a battlefield server I usually play on. It shows that my router is okay but on the second hop, the ping spikes. I'm not the most educated person when it comes to networks so I need someone explain what going on.

It this out of my control and do I need to contact my ISP for assistance?

Set Up:

i7-9700K
Gigabyte GTX 1060
16GB of DDR4 RAM

PingPlotter:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Q27uO5G

Solution
Yes you need to contact the ISP. You are only in control of hop 1 your router. It shows no problems so your pc and router are not the cause. You are likely testing on ethernet, if you were using wifi it is much more common to see large ping spikes in hop 1.

Hop2 represents the connection between your house and the ISP.
High ping time like this means data is being held in a buffer. This is almost always due to traffic load.

So first be very sure you are not exceeding the download or upload rates you are paying for. It depends on how fast you internet connection is. It is very hard to overload say a 300mbps but pretty easy to overload a 10mbps DSL connections. It was not real common to overload upload rates until...
Yes you need to contact the ISP. You are only in control of hop 1 your router. It shows no problems so your pc and router are not the cause. You are likely testing on ethernet, if you were using wifi it is much more common to see large ping spikes in hop 1.

Hop2 represents the connection between your house and the ISP.
High ping time like this means data is being held in a buffer. This is almost always due to traffic load.

So first be very sure you are not exceeding the download or upload rates you are paying for. It depends on how fast you internet connection is. It is very hard to overload say a 300mbps but pretty easy to overload a 10mbps DSL connections. It was not real common to overload upload rates until recently. Now that people run video conferencing from home they can use much more upload bandwidth.

Best way to test would be to unplug all other devices and disable the wifi radios. This is to ensure only your device is using bandwidth. I would check the resource monitor network tab to see the total data rates just to be sure nothing is running in the background you do not know about. Running pingplotter connected like this should be the most accurate.

Now the big problem is you have at this point proved it is likely the ISP but the ISP does not actually guarantee you latency. They might give you download rates but they seldom mention any ping times even to their servers. If it was large amounts of packet loss that they likely would fix but yours is so small it is hard to tell if that is just testing issues.
On systems like cable you share bandwidth with all the neighbors near you. If the total from all the neighbors exceeds the ISP bandwidth you can see these delays. A symptom of this would be that the problem goes away or is much less very early in the morning when most people are sleeping.

In any case before you call the ISP also have results from actual ping commands. Show the ISP the ping rates to hop 1 and hop 2. This is because many ISP tech do not understand pingplotter....then again you will find some that do not even know what ping is.

Solution