What's that power requirement site?

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I remember finding a link here to a page where I could select my components from some tabs and it would calculate the power drain so I could figure out what kind of PSU I would need.

The search feature brings up nothing with anything I try, and I must admit, I can't use Google very well for something I don't remember much about. =|

Anyone remember where to find it?
If not, I'm looking for information on the power requirements for an Athlon 64 FX-53 and/or FX-55, if anyone happens to know that. I've been searching through THG articles for a while and haven't found anything related to power.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Hey, thanks! ^_^

That was a really fast response too. Okay, now let's see if I can figure out how to lock this thread if this forum has that feature...

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
just add it to your bookmarks, or google PSU Power Calculator

<font color=blue>If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage</font color=blue>

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Well, that calculator is nice for figuring wattage and the component selection is fairly up to date, but the info you really need is the amperage for each of the 3 main Rails (+3.3v, +5v, and most importantly the +12v).

Now I don't mean to get off on a rant here but many (more often than not in my opinion) manufacturers/resellers outright lie or use deceptive practices in their PSU ratings. Unless you keep your pc in a refrigerator, your PSU is not going to be running at 25c which is what many manufacturers/resellers rate their output at. When you derate for temp, the situ changes quite a bit.

"The world ends when you're dead. As long as your breathing you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back."

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Very true - and I don't know of anywhere that publishes that info, or a site like the other that splits it out. I've seen a site that splits it by voltage, but it hasn't been updated in at least 2 years so...

And you're preaching to the choir on the overrated PSU issue. :smile:

Mike.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Yeah, I know to look for amp ratings, but that part's not going to be a problem. ;P

I bookmarked it before you posted, by the way. I'm not losing track of it again. I just used it as a starting point for the level of power supply I need to look for. Actually it's for a PC I'm building for a friend this time.

Oh, and I forget for sure, but aren't Fortron Source PSU's a bit underrated? I have a 400w Blue Storm, and I remember hearing something to that effect, that it was good to like 420w or something.