Question What's the best GPU I can put in a PC which has a 380w platinum rated PSU ?

Jan 29, 2024
Hi! I have a Lenovo V50T Gen 2 PC, and im looking to upgrade it to be at least decent for gaming. One problem, the highest wattage psu i can put in it is a 380w since no unofficial ones have 10 pin mobo connectors-and the form factor of the pc wont allow any other psu.

My specs are: a i5-104000 cpu, 64gbs of ddr4 ram, a 2 tb ssd, and a 1 tb hdd. My total system wattage is probably around 120-150 watts(?).

I looked into putting a 1660 ti in there but someone told me it wouldn't work with the psu, but doing some calculations i would still have about 120 to 80 watts left over at max usage depending on the power spikes. And it surprisingly has a 6+2 pin pcie connector on it.

It is a oem psu however, with a bunch of obscure Chinese lettering on it-so im not sure if its reliable enough. Then again it is platinum rated so im very conflicted.

Something like a 1650 isn't gonna last much longer with how demanding current games are, especially the 4gb of vram. I looked into a arc a380 but i sometimes enjoy playing obscure/old games so the driver issues wouldn't be optimal, and i have pcie 3.0 so most amd gpus in the 75w range would perform worse than a 1650.

Would something like a 1650 super be a good choice in my psu? It still has 4gb of vram but it still looks like a pretty good 60+fps card even in some more modern AAA titles, and i might have room to upgrade to a undervolted 4060 later on.

So what would be a good choice? Is the 1650 my best option right now? Or can i upgrade to something a bit better. Thanks so much for any responses! Im pretty new to pc in general so i have no idea what im doing

Lutfij

Titan
I wouldn't go beyond what was stated for your prebuilt in this thread;
and you might want to rethink creating multiple threads. Helps keep thoughts and suggestions concise and avoids spaghetti brains.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Joseph_138

Distinguished
380W isn't going to allow you much graphics card. You're going to have to use a card that doesn't require auxilliary power. Actually, a 3050 6gb doesn't require a power connector, and this is probably the only instance where I would recommend one. It's going to be faster than a 1650.

Be careful, though, as there are overclocked versions, that may require auxilliary power.

Go here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3050-6-gb.c4188

then scroll down to the different manufacturers versions of the card, and see which ones may require additional power. I remember when the GTX 1050 Ti came out, some required it, and others didn't. I bought the fastest one that I could find that didn't require it.

Keep in mind the dimensions of your case, as well. Some cards are going to be longer than others, if they have big coolers on them, and may not fit in cases without enough depth to accomodate them.

I just looked at a few, at random, and I can't believe that some of them are being sold with a DVI port. If you don't have a monitor with HDMI or Displayport, that may also be a consideration.

Last edited: