What's the better firewall?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Zone Alarm version 4.5.594.000

Don't try any version yet starting with 5.x. - ZoneLabs is still having
problems.

"kage" <skywagon185@nomsn.com> wrote in message
>I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
>
> Best,
> Karl

Narl, I have to agree with Thomas about the need for a better "wall" than
what SP 2 can handle, but on the other hand I went with Norton Internet
Security Pro.. Yes, I know it is pricey, but so is spending time fixing
programs. Time is money. I had Trend Micro PC-Cillian for a year and ran into
continual update problems. Also, had an infected file and called for support
and the answer was "Oh well from what we know over the phone it is not a
virus." They did no trouble shooting with me while I was at my computer.
Went to Symantic's site and found files that pointed to an infection. So, I'm
with Norton's software now for protection and I like the feedback a lot
better. Also, their Help over the internet is pretty on target for trouble
shooting. By the way TrendM comes out of Australia/ Japan and Norton/Symantic
is American and has the largest subscription base.
Good Luck,
Thom Bailey (No, not the Symantic Thom) 5th Grade Teacher

"kage" wrote:

> I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
>
> Best,
> Karl

As said numerous times, Windows firewall does nothing to prevent outgoing
traffic, it only monitors and blocks incoming.
So PC-cillin (or about any other 3rd party firewall´) would be the way to
go...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"kage" <skywagon185@nomsn.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
>
> Best,
> Karl

sarah

you did answer my question thomas. i always wanted to
know if ICF enabled is enough to monitor and control the
traffic and keep my computer safe.
one more question, do ICF or any other firewall have to
monitor outgoing traffic? why?
thks.

Greetings --

WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP also does not
do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
because the ICF (or the Windows Firewall, post-SP2) is a "stateful"
firewall, it will also assume that any incoming traffic that's a
direct response to a Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also
authorized.

ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"kage" <skywagon185@nomsn.com> wrote in message
>I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
>
> Best,
> Karl

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> Zone Alarm version 4.5.594.000
You can't be serious? That buggy piece of bloated software? Nah, better to
try Outpost or Sygate

If you inadvertently download a 'trojan' while surfing the web, that
'trojan' can connect to sites from your machine without you being aware and
transmit all sorts of data that can be potentially harmful to you. One of
the most alarming is some 'trojans' are designed to collect all keystrokes
you use to connect to a bank account and transmit them to the 'trojan' owner
who now has access the your accounts. You must have a firewall to prevent
your machine from accessing sites without your knowledge.

"sarah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
you did answer my question thomas. i always wanted to
know if ICF enabled is enough to monitor and control the
traffic and keep my computer safe.
one more question, do ICF or any other firewall have to
monitor outgoing traffic? why?
thks.

TRENDING THREADS