Whats the desirable PSU for an Asus Nvidia GTX 970 Strix 4GB and AMD FX8350 CPU?

Buryver

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I've recently bult my first powerful computer and have been having issues, it was working okay at first but now wont even reach Bios.
Been told it could be lack of power so here are the specs:

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX8350 Eight core CPU
Asus Nvidia GTX Strix 970 4GB
Corsair CXM 600w Modular plus Bronze certified (apparently too crap for this build??)
2x4GB DDR3 RAM
Zalman Liquid CPU Cooler LQ315
Windows 10 (free update from 7)

I've checked Part Picker and eXtreme Power Consumption sites and they both say that my power consumption is 400w to 450w.
However when I check individual parts such as the Graphics Card which (draws 224w, ASUS website reference) and the CPU (364w when under load! Reference BitTech website) it would appear I need a lot more power to run at full whack and get the best out of the system.

If anyone has any other ideas or advice please let me know! Or point me in the way of a PSU that will make it run at full capacity!

Thanks!

Solution
Your CPU doesn't draw more then 125W under load. 224W sounds right for the graphics card. A 600W power supply is sufficient.
That CXM is a very poor quality power supply but it should be good enough to run the system since its new.

However, I recommend a Seasonic S12ii 620W or since you have a modular CXM you could get the Seasonic M12ii 620W.
Your CPU doesn't draw more then 125W under load. 224W sounds right for the graphics card. A 600W power supply is sufficient.
That CXM is a very poor quality power supply but it should be good enough to run the system since its new.

However, I recommend a Seasonic S12ii 620W or since you have a modular CXM you could get the Seasonic M12ii 620W.

Solution

SU11YBEAR

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Ok small point about teh reference for the 8350, link for article below
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/2
That draw was with overclocking (@ 4.8GHz) and using a Nvidia 690 GPU, so it was the TOTAL system draw, not just the CPU, the absolute max for the CPU would be in the 150W range (otherwise the cooler wouldnt be powerful enough and the chip would burn out)

The unit you have is not good but it is not absolute garbage either (it should only be used if you have no other option), if you want to look at
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
It ranks a tier 4, you generally want to be at Tier 2 or above

Buryver

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Thats great! However I was looking to future proof it a bit and go for something with an 850 to 860 wattage? Hopefully a Seasonic x series or platinum? Newegg screwed me over with their no VAT and delivery charges on show. So frustrating!

Any others that are good at that range that you know?

Buryver

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

So if my power supply is good enough to at least run everything do you know if there are any issues I havent considered to why it isnt booting properly?

Buryver

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Went for the M12-II Evo 850W so thank you for that advice, looks great and got lots of power to play with upgrades wise!

Buryver

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Yeah looking forward to it arriving!

Yeah it booted up and worked the first few times, then kept freezing either just post Bios or just before and I'd press reset and then it'd normally work after that and now just refuses to reach even Bios, just a black screen and the monitor says no signal but knows its connected and the vans all work and the LED's on the motherboard is green.