Question What's the safe way of fixing a psu fan

Mar 14, 2021
I've been using my pc for about 4 years now, and while previously I haven't encountered any problems, in the past week my pc has done sepuku a total of 2 times. Both of the times I was in a game ( OW 1st, CS:GO 2nd) and I had been playing for about an hour. And while even now I'm not completely sure If it's my psu acting up, after both shutdowns ( they were instant) I couldnt power on my pc for about 4 minutes, so my psu is kinda sus.
And recently I've began noticing my psu's incredible loudness, even just after startup. (And the fan is b a r e l l y spinning)

So I got a few questions, could compressed air help at all? and I were to take it apart would I just die from the capacitors inside? or are there any troubleshooting tips that I could try out that might help.
And how fast the psu fan should spin at startup/idle compared to full load.

PSU is : Xilence (500w)
GPU is 1050 ti (that is overclocked to its max'es, though I cant check it cause msi afterburner is dead for some reason)
CPU : ryzen 3 1300x
2 RAM sticks @2133, 8gb each
1 120 mm case fan.

You have a low quality psu that is showing signs of dying. My advice is replace the psu for a good quality unit and dont use the pc until you have a new psu. Continuing to use that pc risks complete psu failure which could damage other components, every time you use it you are taking a risk.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The fan itself should be just an "industrial case fan" of whatever size and relatively easy to replace. I am not certain of an exact way to suggest your draining the caps that I would wish to share and be partly liable for....

I agree with the above post, mostly, but sometimes we have to work with what we have.

Compressed air might help if dust is the issue, otherwise it won't do much.

To replace it, from the looks any standard 120mm fan should work, but you probably will need a soldering iron to remove the old fan and solder in a new one. Even if the current fan does have a plug, it will likely need to be snipped off and soldered onto the new fan.
As for how to avoid shock, I am not really qualified to say much, but keeping one hand behind your back at all times can help eliminate the risk of current flowing across your body and heart.

Personally, I would just replace the entire PSU. Xilence units are not high quality, and given the current flaws and age, I would just replace it.