Whats the Worst thing you done

G

What is the stupidest thing you have done to a hardrive, etc

G

I've tried to build the 180Mb/sec fibre channel controller from HardOCP for my older SCSI-disks, and got shocked with 220V repeatedly that evening .. like a hamster on steroids ... The disk survived and is still running (on a antique 2930U - not fibre)

(So I'm a quitter -- sue me ...)

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
I threw one out an open window once and broke a car window that was the worst thing I ever did stupidest too. They never did find out who did that.

G

Back in grad school I had a 486 that I was doing most of the computing & writing my thesis on.

One day DOS locked up solid (that sure wasn't unusual :frown: ). So I hit the reset button.

When it came back up, it couldn't find the HD. I got into the bios, and found that somehow the HD parameters in the bios got trashed. Some of the younger folks here might not remember having to manually set the HD parameters in the bios.

What a nightmare. I hadn't written them down anywhere, they weren't printed on the disk, and the company I had bought the system from went belly up soon after I got it. I had no clue how to find the parameters. This was before you could find everything on the internet.

So, I messed around in the bios until I hit on a combination that approximated my disk capacity. Unfortunately, it wasn't the right one, so the disk was seen as unformatted. I tried several, but never did find the right one, so I ended up reinstalling everything.

Thank god I had reasonably up to date backups of my research & thesis!

The experience was so traumatic that I've never used the reset button since :smile:

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)