Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Anyone heard about Street Legal Racing Redline? Damn Im enoying this game sooo much.
Imagine Car mechanic simulator (not soo detailed) + Beamng, this is what you get in a 10 year old game with awesome modding community.

You spend your first 20,000$ on used car, half hour tuning it, sometimes after half hour it becomes crap, sometimes on 1.200 KG's with 400HP engine.
And either on drag race, bot hits you, you need to repair car, or you hit the lamp post and you lose your engine,*Game Crashes*, and sometimes the pedestrian becomes wall and you deform your car.

I don't understand those games even 2% when trying to play them, just running around.
Never tried to finish them, I actually got stuck on watch tower in between to wooden beams... ALT+F4

the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series as a whole has got to be in my top 5 favorites of all time. i have played through Shadow of Chernobyl probably 6 times and tried maybe a hundred different mods until i found a large compatible set that fit most of my needs\wants. pretty much have always included the 2009 Complete. also really enjoyed the Lost Alpha remake mod, the added vehicles and driving options turned out to be great.
i also loved Call of Pripyat. maybe finished it 4 times with not quite so much time into mods. Clear Sky was a disappointment the first time i played but after getting more into the games and finding some good mods for it this also became a very fun game.

also just finished Prey (2017) again a couple weeks ago and have just got a few minutes into Mooncrash. i think Prey is the funnest newer game i've played in a couple years. i've tried maybe 10 new games through 2017-18 and havent found much i enjoyed at all. Spellforce 3 is pretty good but i just can't get into much enough anymore to keep up the gameplay for more than a few hours a week in anything currently.
recently started a new run in Mass Effect 1 while i'm waiting for Cyberpunk 2077. i need to do a good search for graphics and environment mods to improve the visuals a bit though.

D

Deleted member 217926

I thoroughly enjoyed playing the three STALKER games back to back to back. It was the first time I'd played Call of Pripyat and I really enjoyed it. Clear Sky is the weak link and it's still pretty good.

About 25 hours into Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut. Great game.

Nov 14, 2018
Well I've been playing this one for quite some time, and...PlaneScape torment. There has been lots of good isometric RPGs released after that, even the new ones, like Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity, but the depth of PlaneScape Torment narrative, haven't seen anything like it.

I just realized back on 10/11 I posted this in the wrong forum. :/

Just started another play through of Ghost Recon Wildlands. I was kinda upset the only way to play on Tier Level 1 after I finally got to it was Mission Replay. The La Plaga mission to take out El Sueno's 2nd highest ranking Security officer is bugged bad in Mission Replay with the tunnel door you need to access to track him down after finding him usually not opening.

So this time I decided to play on Extreme with no HUD and no skill upgrades. So far I've only done the Itacua missions. Believe it or not I'm still finding faster, better ways to beat the missions. The only caveat with playing this way is you don't have the GPS route on the mini map that makes driving to missions MUCH easier. You literally have to drive to and from the mission location once or twice to get it in your head. I'm going to play through a few more provinces this way, and if I feel it's manageable, I'll probably do a video walkthrough on it.

...So having now played through Inca Camina, at 53% completion, I can definitely say this is doable, and I'm actually enjoying improvising with travel methods, which involve a fair bit off off-roading.

Here's the current video playlist, comprised of 51 videos thus far. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHB6vX_n-5BOwb6B4izux5HjNAf0YFt00

On a side note, I never paid much attention to Star Citizen, as it's mostly designed around MP. The new Squadron 42 trailer announcing SC's upcoming sp campaign by the same name has me reconsidering though. It is said it will be at least 3 episodes long, with the first one totaling 20 hrs of gameplay. The cast alone is pretty amazing. It stars Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Mark Strong, Liam Cunningham, and Andy Serkis. I think I also spotted Ben Mendelsohn from Rogue One at the 2:08 mark.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o46qVZFiiJc"][/video]

DeadnightWarrior

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
blogofthunder.eu
I don't remember if I ever answered this but still, it's really hard for me to name ONE game.

I should at least mention Doom (the original and II), the first two Gothics and Might And Magic VI and VII.

MAYBE the single game that grabbed me more than other is Lords of the Realm II: I remember staying up for hours just to conquer one map and celebrating as if I had won the World Cup when I finally did!

Nov 14, 2018

Easy, Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, and HongKong. It brought back the old school isometric RPGs with a unique setting, Dragonfall was written perfectly, the combat system is good and rewarding, no childish BS.

Oct 28, 2017
Currently playing Quake 4 (GOG).

I used to be totally crazy about Quake 2 when I was a teenager. I was 14 year old when I first played it (I'm 30 now) and it was the scariest thing on the planet! I'd often see Strogg Aliens in my nightmares when I was mid-way through the single player campaign!

In any case; I've completed around 1/3rd of the Quake 4's single player campaign so far and it hasn't disappointed me one single bit and even though it's almost 2019; Doom 3's engine (ID Tech 4) still has some momentum in the visual department! The engine's shadow and light rendering capabilities are just... Extraordinary!

Money well spent!

Hey guys, how have you been?

Since I last posted, I played through Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us. Both were amazing games, no doubt. The combat in Uncharted felt so dynamic and it just felt so good. I'm a novice with a controller but I turned off aim assist for this one and just had some really neat gun battles. The story was nice and although I didn't get any of the references they made to the previous games, I felt it was a nice little touch and the ending was pretty damn good, even for someone like me whose first Uncharted game is this one.

What can I say about the last of us? Great story, gameplay and pacing. I didn't find the game too hard or anything and I opted for stealth most of the time. I went into a resource saving strategy the whole time so I had enough ammo, medkits, shiv, molotovs etc whenever I needed them. The story is quite emotional and it is one of those games where you just gotta experience it no matter what. This game has an epic soundtrack too.

Currently, I'm going through Red Dead Redemption 2. I've completed about 30% of the main story and there is a lot of side activities and quests to do. It looks absolutely gorgeous and the gameplay is pretty nice. It's easy to lose track of time when you're playing it, that's for sure. I've never played the first Red Dead but I wish I could someday.

I had been playing Horzion Zero Dawn since getting the PS4 but right now I've put it aside for RDR 2. Can't play through two open world games at the same time. I'll get back to it in a few days maybe, once the RDR magic goes away.

I haven't been PC gaming since getting the console but I'll get back to it. I've a major upgrade pending over that side.

D

Deleted member 217926

I loved The Last of Us. It's been a few years since I played it and I don't own a console but I've been thinking about buying a PS4 just for TLoU2 and to play the first one again.

I played Shadowrun: Dragonfall twice, back to back. That was a really fun game. Currently saving the galaxy with Commander Shepherd again.

G you guys doing well? Got your house all sorted out after the flooding? Sounds like you might be getting a computer upgrade?

Yeah, I'm doing okay. Yes, I do have an upgrade in mind. I'm going for a Ryzen build. Already ordered a 2600, an 8 gig ddr4 3000mhz stick and a gigabyte b450 board. I'll be getting a new gpu after a while. I'm thinking of getting a 1060. I had the rx 580 in mind but it's not available for the same price as a 1060 around here.

Wow, that brought me back a lot of memories. Mass effect truly was an amazing experience. I still remember most of the things that happened in the game so I don't think I'll give it another go anytime soon. Besides, I've got so many games to play on the PS4 alone.

For me, the PS4 is definitely worth it. I haven't played any of the exclusives they had on the PS3 so the remasters available here are a bonus. Plus I think it has some great exclusives worthy of playing.

could never choose a single series. of course it also depends on the mood what i feel like playing at any given time and how much i may enjoy that individual run.

the series i think i've most enjoyed though have been:
Dragon Age
Mass Effect
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Mana\Seiken Densetsu
Zelda
The Elder Scrolls
Legacy of Kain
The Witcher
Dark Souls
Borderlands
Fallout
Crysis

There are many good game series, but the one that stands out for me, especially after the idiots at EA canned it, is Dead Space.

Why, it had interesting concepts like health and stasis status showing on the back of your suit, and inventory showing as a hologram screen projecting from the front of your suit. The suit itself and weapons are futuristic mining items. The enemies are basically humans mutated by aliens (Necromorphs), and have very tough torsos, so cutting off their limbs is the most effective way to kill them until you get a very powerful weapon.

Weapons are well balanced though. The more powerful ones have the tradeoff of having smaller clips and slower rate of fire and reload time. This means you must use the right weapon in the right place. The exception being Dead Space 1, where a well upgraded base weapon (Plasma Cutter) could get you through the whole game even on the hardest difficulty mode.

Most of the enemies have sharp spear-like limbs, which can be cut off live Necros, or pulled off corpses and shot via Kinesis to conserve ammo. The game world involves many ceiling and wall vents, which the Necros use to find and ambush you. The lighting, shadows, sounds, and resources are very survival horror oriented. Even the 3rd and final installment with it's faster pace, more abundant enemies, and more gun-like weapons, had many fight or flight scenarios.

The level design of the game world and design of creatures is varied well and very atmospheric. I really feel what killed the series most was the knee jerk reaction to Dead Space 3 by fans. Many didn't like the more action oriented pace, but many of them were also not playing the optional dungeons, or learning how to craft weapons well. There's also a Classic Mode where you only have access to Dead Space 1 weapons and can't modify them, which many didn't even give a try.

One of my pet peeves in gaming is players whom spread a lot of hate about games they don't invest enough time in to even get a holistic opinion of. Then it spreads like wildfire, and before you know it, a great series is gone.

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
I only play FPS games (COD ,SW, BF) because they are fast paced. I used to play survival games like Rust but it makes no sense to play alone and it takes too long to build a base. Too bad MMORPG genre is dead :\. MMORPG is even more time consuming than survival but I like the idea of farming and fighting bosses. Metin2 was great back in the days.

started Ashen recently. i do enjoy it though it very much seems like a Dark Souls "wannabe". the style and story are entertaining but they really should've put some more originality into the gameplay.

tried Battlefield 5 this week. single player campaign is not what i expected. ~2 mins of gameplay and then another short cinematic, over and over. so far hasn't been that much fun.

killing me waiting for news on Cyberpunk 2077. going to have to start a new run in Witcher 3, Mass Effect 3, & Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to try and keep my RPG attention occupied.

D

Deleted member 217926

killing me waiting for news on Cyberpunk 2077. going to have to start a new run in Witcher 3, Mass Effect 3, & Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to try and keep my RPG attention occupied.

Sooon.... :D

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlTLphrvxYU"][/video]