Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I'm still spending most of my time wondering the wasteland. Put a lot of time into building and working up my bases. At Sanctuary Hill, I actually built so much that I hit the size limit for the area, and have had to delete basically everything in the area to finish my mansion.

Building Project 1: Building with two floors, basic rectangle. Extended to a semi-L shap, added small 3rd floor with roof exit.

Building Project 2: Using the curved walls this time, single person house. One floor with living room and bedroom. There was a short halway which lead to a Power Armor display room, but I was forced to delete it. Outside stairs lead to a deck on top of the building where I have a small prefab building and gun turrets.

Building Project 3: Mansion with 4 floors, each floor is roughly the size of two entire destroyed houses nearby. First floor includes a foyer, kitchen/dining room and a sitting room. Second floor contains a large living room roughly the size of the living room, a large bedroom, and three balconies. The third floor switches from the flat square walls to curved walls. It contains a rec room, bathroom, and workshop/power armor vault. Using bubbled walls two suits of power armor stand side by side in a half sphere facing out into the room. It is currently configured to hold 13 suits total. There is another balcony on the 3rd floor too. The fourth floor is a single kinda small room which exits onto a rooftop deck.

I had to delete so much to make this work out.My building projects in other areas are fairly restrained in comparison.

I'm currently going back finishing up main mission side tasks and S ranks in MGSV. It's been more fun than I anticipated because I'm using mostly new gear and tactics to better achieve said tasks.

The nice thing about side tasks is you don't need to worry so much about score, so drive-by extractions with D-Walker's fulton ballista are a treat more than a score limiting bummer.

I also used his guided rockets and speed to deal with the Skulls in Traitor's Caravan, then finished them off with one of the caravan tanks.

The only slight annoyance was despite having achieved the Eliminate the Skulls task, I got only 3 of them because one took off. First time I've seen a male Skull show cowardice.

dhmnuts

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
A game I've been enjoying a lot is World of Warships, it's amazing. I've never really played any sort of game where you unlock the next tier of vehicles, etc. But the grind is what I love about the game the most.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
replaying them both a couple years ago with graphical enhancement mods in 3D was great. TriDef has great passive 3D profiles for all the Elder Scrolls games.

jlf390

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Xenoblade Chronicles X has been amazing so far. Got the Uncharted collection but haven't started it yet - hope it's as good as I've been told.

D

Deleted member 217926

I still haven't even played the final episode of Telltale's Game of Thrones and I was looking forward to that for months. Stupid Fallout 4 is still eating all my free time! 131 hours in so far which just so happens to be exactly the same number of hours as I've played New Vegas. But that was 2 playthroughs of New Vegas including one where I played every quest I could find including all the DLC. I'm still discovering new places in Fallout 4 and I still haven't even come close to finishing the main storyline.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
definitely true. every time i think i'm getting back to the main storyline i run into some NPC or group with tons of stuff to do elsewhere. i'm maybe 2/3 of the way through @ ~100 hours and i'm still finding new places, weapons, mods, and items.

I'm only nearing 48 hours and I'm kinda done with the side missions for now. I did plenty and it got boring a little bit. I'm going through the main story quest now and I'm hooked all over again.

The quest where we teleport to the institue was amazing and the place looks fabulous! Not to mention the son thing, which I completely forgot till it was mentioned by the 'kid' himself.

Do you guys have a companion right now? Who is it?
And do you guys help the settlements defend from raiders and other enemies? I don't bother unless it's nearby.

D

Deleted member 217926

I've pretty much kept Piper as my companion. I tried others but always end up sending them to Sanctuary and getting Piper again. Maybe because I dated a Piper for a couple of years right after high school. :lol: I like how she calls me Blue.

The Institute does look amazing doesn't it. Too bad I'm going to have to burn it down. :lol: I just can't side with anyone but the Minutemen at least this playthrough.

I do help defend settlements but my settlements are more than capable on their own. Heavy laser turrets everywhere. In some cases backed by missile turrets but you have to be careful with those as they kill friendlies.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
i have around 6-7 companions that i remember. a few nobody's i've spread out through other settlements with my main crew at Sanctuary; Preston, Nick, Piper, Deacon, & Dogmeat. i keep my team between Piper and Nick, mostly Piper. Preston Garvey was my turn-to guy for the first good while but he kept hitting on me so i got rid of him. Piper gets all my hand-me-down weapons and armor when i upgrade and has my 2nd best set of Power Armor.

when I notice a settlement has an ongoing attack i head to the fight.
the minutemen missions with clearing out ghouls, raiders, super mutants have just gotten monotonous with the same areas over and over, those i have stopped doing. doesn't even make sense why a settlement is being raided by groups from all the way across the map.

Haha, I only give one or two turrets per settlement I liberate, the least hard to make, except 'The Castle' where those special weapons had to be installed as required by a quest.
I always get the 'Failed' outcome if I decide not to help out a settlement. But I couldn't care less, lol.
I don't like the Minutemen all that much. I've decided to side with 'The Railroad' instead. The BoS looks like one of those that just want to rid the Commonwealth of synths, good or bad. The Railroad looks more neutral, as they believe some of the synths are good, so I guess they don't want to totally annihilate the institute.

Dogmeat was my first, (like everyone's) and he wasn't all that good in battles. I constantly needed to revive him. When I got Strong (the super mutant), battles were a breeze. He'd charge straight up to an enemy NPC and I could easily kill them off as they'd be distracted. I found a super sledge that had really high damage stats, so he was always able to one or two hit kill an enemy.
I later decided to move on from Strong as conversations got mind numbing and he just seemed so dumb. I tried having Piper but she was too weak, especially considering Strong. I've got Nick now, and I've decided to have him around permanently for now. He can really handle himself. And I really HATE hacking terminals, and since Nick is great with them, I always let him hack any I find.

Those Minutemen quests really do get boring and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't avoid them, to my knowledge, as Preston keeps on giving it to you right after you've completed the previous one.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
spoiler to spoiler comment
i was worried about siding with factions hurting my influence with others. but, now i have quests available for BoS, Railroad, Atom Cats, and Minutemen that do not conflict with each other. having the multiples available seems to offer a lot more chances to earn xp and raid items at the same time. also have more shops for "Shipment of" junk to buy and faction exclusive items.
besides Garvey, lots of others around the map start randomly asking for Minutemen help when you talk to them. offering the same type of clear-out missions. i just leave them unchecked until i can't stand to see it on my pipboy anymore.

CallMeJef

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Call me crazy, but I will always have a special place in my heart for WC3 custom mods. What other game has EVER spawned multiple new genres from user generated content? WC3 was the father of the MOBA as well as TD games, both of which are my favorite to this day. I have heard tales of Dota 2 releasing something akin to this. Regardless, WC3 custom maps remain some of the most fun I've ever had gaming.

I don't like seeing unfinished quests on my pip boy either. Which is why I tend to do them sometimes. Hate the new unending quests scheme since Skyrim. I've had some guy recently come up to me like you said, to help clear out an area. Funny thing happened afterwards, he tripped on a mine....twice! Nothing happened to him, though. He just walked it off, lol.

Not necessarily a spoiler...oh well.
Especially since bethesda got rid of the karma system, it's possible to side with every faction. :/

D

Deleted member 217926

The lack of a karma system is one of the few things I'd change about Fallout 4. I liked having the option of being truly evil even though I rarely played that way.

Found a new favorite companion last night.

OK Piper has been replaced for now. Curie is awesome. Worth keeping around for the companion quest as there is a surprising payoff. I won't spoil it anymore if you don't have her yet but her voice......I'm in love! lol

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
haven't found her yet. was starting to think i had found them all. Nick is the only one who's armor/clothing is static, right?

D

Deleted member 217926

Pretty much beat Fallout 4's main storyline now at 154 hours in. I won't be able to stay away but I finally feel like I can play other games now. :lol: So I found time to play the final chapter of Telltale's Game of Thrones. Loved it. Loved the whole game. But:

Just when things couldn't get worse....they do! Damn that game was bleak!

I just picked up The Witcher 3 in the Steam sale and it's downloading now. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.

I really liked Rogue. Especially how it connects to AC Unity in the ending. I didn't like Shay's voice though, but later grew to accept it.

anort, you won't be disappointed. Witcher 3 really stands out, like everyone said.

pewpew135

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
I play Heroes and Generals lately. But I spent my Christmas break playing Battlefield 2, Counter-Strike: Source and COD 4. All of them are great with multiplayer and single player. I also play Half-life alot.

Xrunner98

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Ive been playing a ton of CSGO. So far, it's probably the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played and I really really enjoy the pro scene. Give it a try if you're into FPS.

TRENDING THREADS