Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I started playing Dying Light and I intend on finishing it this time around. I'm about 10 hours into it but I've been doing a lot of side quests and exploration for half that time. The first few hours were really brutal for me in terms of combat. I had to hit a zombie 30 times just to kill it and if there was a group of them, I'd just run away. The game doesn't encourage you to kill zombies off like that right away. It wants you to distract them with firecrackers, use molotovs etc and I totally understand that now. I got my butt kicked several times trying to go through a single group with just my melee weapon. I really like that I have to use throwables from my arsenal because I rarely do that in most games. Also, I didn't pay attention to crafting in the beginning but it's such an integral part of the game. Only later on did I realize that you need to scrounge for crafting supplies as much as possible.

The skill tree is also quite nice. You can unlock whole new features that really do change the way you approach your enemy. I'm currently at a level where I can take on a group of five or six zombies without a problem. The weapons I'm finding in the gameworld are also starting to have better stats on them, which is nice because the wrenches and pipes that I got in the beginning had really bad damage numbers.

I love the parkour system. It's fun to run around in the world, adding a lot of verticality to the movements. The human enemies, bandits etc are still hard for me to take on, so I try to avoid them for now.

Glad you're taking the time now to understand and appreciate the game more. Yeah Dying Light is not one you want to rush through. Early on at higher difficulty modes you really need to think about how to quickly scavenge and escape to build your supply inventory. There are also many gas bottles and cans you can use to your advantage to maximize your effectiveness when taking on tough enemies at the start of the game. There's this guy that made a video on how to build a one hit weapon early on. It's a game you need to carefully study to master.

D

Deleted member 217926

I really enjoyed that game. If you like it, The Following DLC opens up a huge area of the countryside and gives you a cool little buggy to get around with.

Thanks for the tips, @Frag. Now that I think about it, I don't use the environments all that much. I'll try to blend that into my gameplay style.
@anort, Yeah, I'm definitely thinking of playing The Following DLC. I will surely play it after the base game.

I am really hyped for Dying Light 2 now. Can't wait!

Yeah I totally agree with anort that if you play Dying Light, it's sacrilege to not play The Following. It was so massively popular that once they made The Following version of Dying Light that included it, it was pretty much the only way you could buy the main game unless you looked for obscure sources that still had just the base game.

Not sure I'll like Dying Light 2 as much. I had high hopes for TEW 2, but IMO they ruined it by dumbing down the AI too much and making it open world. It lost a lot of the sense of claustrophobia and linear story telling, two strong pillars of survival horror.

From what I've seen of DL2 so far is they are using factions, and RPGlike reactions to your decisions, and I'm not sure I like the map elements either. When did it become a thing where Action-Adventure and Horror games have to become RPGs to be interesting? I think games like Assassin's Creed and Dying Light don't need a genre change. Origins had plenty enough RPG elements, as did TEW 1 and Dying Light 1.

I guess we won't know until we actually see DL2, but I can't help but be skeptical after what was done to TEW franchise, and I'm still really upset EA canned Visceral Games and the Dead Space series. A lot of our best horror games are going away or going down the tubes.

Been going back and playing Wolfenstein The New Colossus a lot lately, and just had to add it to my collection of games to test ShadowPlay's Instant Replay since Nvidia fixed the playback pixelation/freeze problem it was having through a few driver versions.

This is a speedrun of the final battle on the Ausmerzer on I Am Death Incarnate using nekov4ego's method of close up Schockhammer on the initial 6 heavies, then Maschinenpistole and Laserkraftwerk on grunts and Zerstorers via dual wield. It's much quicker than using the Ubergewehr, meaning less grunts to deal with.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mud7SeBUED0"][/video]

I've finished Dying Light's main campaign. It took 30 hours with most side quests done too. I didn't do some of those resource collecting quests (x no. of herbs, medkits, mushrooms etc). I do think I did most of the other side quests though. They didn't really feel like a chore and I was having a lot of fun with them.

Gameplay is just solid here. It's an absolute blast to play everytime. The game does get a lot easier by the end. I had a lot of great weapons on me. I loved the bow and arrow. It's really powerful and quiet, which is the best part. I only used guns for fighting off Rais's thugs in later quests.

Story is a bit weak. This is not a game you would play for it's story alone. I liked our character, Kyle Crane, but I found it hard to get attached with any of the other NPCs. Some spoilers down below..
I didn't expect Rahim to turn and us having to kill him like that. That came to me as a bit of a surprise. Didn't feel anything after he died though. Same goes for Jade. Her death also didn't make me feel anything. I just felt no connection to the characters and she felt a bit forced as Crane's romantic interest (?).

I also thought Rais was a bad villain. I think the devs tried too hard to make him sound crazy and chaotic but most of the time I just didn't care about anything he said. He seemed more annoying than menacing.
That last boss battle with him was just a QTE sequence. I wasn't a fan of the way they implemented boss battles in this game (only 2 if I remember right; Demolisher and Tahir), so I've got mixed feelings of their want to make the final battle a cinematic one. I died a lot in the last battle too because the button prompts came too quickly and I wasn't able to react in time, which made it really annoying.

Tahir was also someone who just wooshed past my head. I didn't know who he was till that boss battle with him.

Overall, I think it's a solid game. Just don't expect a good story. I'll be playing 'The Following' expansion next.

D

Deleted member 217926

The story part of The Following is even weaker than the base game. The game play is excellent and makes up for it though.

I got closer to 50 hours out of the base game. And about 35 out of The Following.

Curious as to what you thought of the parkour race side missions and some of the harder kill X amount of enemies a certain way side missions Gman? A lot of people struggled with the parkour ones when the game came out because the FPS needs to be fairly good to get good run speed and those on lower spec were struggling to make the times. Also a couple of the kill X amount of enemies ones many were skipping, like the leg break one and the bat one. You have to know just where to find clusters of enemies and the logistics of getting the right kind of kill can be tough.

I definitely agree on the weak story and final battle being meh. I was OK with the boss fight in the arena and against Tahir though. I just hope DL2 won't be utterly disappointing for me like TWE2 was.

I didn't do any of the parkour challenges actually. I don't know why, I just didn't want to do them I guess. I'll boot up the game to try one and I'll tell you later?
I did do a few of the kill challenges like 'Dying Lunch' which had me killing zombies off with an assault rifle. That was kinda neat. I had problems with another one though, where I had to slice off the enemies' arms off. I couldn't beat it in 2-3 tries so I stopped doing it.

Sad to hear The Following's story is weaker. I'll play it for the buggy alone then.

EDIT: Something I found to be quite intriguing in this game was that I raged a lot when I died everytime. More than I ever do in most other games. I think it's the fact that you lose survivor points when you die. I get so frustrated when that 'You're Dead Survivor Points Lost: xxxx' shows up, lol.

D

Deleted member 217926

I didn't really do any of those challenges either. I did pretty much all of the side missions but not the challenges.

I'll play it for the buggy alone then.

And the crossbow. :D

There's some other really good Following specific stuff too.

I started 'The Following' and played a couple of hours. So far, it's okay. The buggy is really cool and I like the countryside. I'm only starting to grasp the driving right now, so I hit into a lot of trees which isn't fun...
It does feel a lot different especially considering you're not running around with your feet all that much now. The weapons I'm finding in the game world is also incredibly powerful. I just recently found the crossbow and I haven't yet started using it.
I haven't gone out at night with the buggy yet. Will do it soon, cause I've got those volatile nests to take out.

Frag, I did two challenges just to see what it was about and I found the first one to be fast paced. It was just parkour and running, no grappling hook allowed. It was quite fast paced and I ended up not being able to understand where to go next, so I failed that one. Another challenge allowed me to use the grappling hook and that was really easy.

Dont try to use cheat engine on Vampyr, it gets you stuck at certain level and ruins your invested hours.

And one issue that I've found very anoying while playing vampyr, if you try to move when exiting dialog it gets stuck to the same key.

Favourite thing soo far, in loading screen "No rats were harmed in this game".

Jul 18, 2018
Heroes of the Storm. Very easy to get into 'casual' moba. I know it has a bit of a bad rep, but I have a lot of fun with this game and that's what's important. Would highly recommend people looking for a moba to look into it.

imrazor

Distinguished
My brother talked me into playing a co-op game of Divinity Original Sin 2. Though it's an RPG, it doesn't play like Skyrim or Fallout 3/4. More like Fallout 1/2, or Baldur's Gate. I really enjoyed the squad tactics in XCom, and DOS 2 plays to that. There's more freedom in DOS 2. The map is not tile based, though combat does unfold in turns. You also have more options available to you than in XCom:Enemy Unknown in the form of spells, abilities and environmental interactions. There's also more variety thus far in enemies, and combat can be brutal if you don't think before you attack.

We kind of rushed through the story since he had already played through a few times. I've started a solo game to try and pick up what I missed story-wise. So far I'm really enjoying it, though I've only just made it through the starting area.

I have finished The Following DLC of Dying Light. I played about 14 hours of it I guess. The gameplay was definitely very different as the map was much larger and you had a nice little buggy to go around on. It was pretty neat. I did most of the side quests, again, like in the base game. I left out clearing any volatile nests though, except one, which was for a certain quest. I just didn't feel like doing that. You won't gain any more experience overall in the agility, power etc sections because you're mostly driving around in the buggy.

The story was okay I guess. The endings were definitely a surprise for me. Other than the climax, the story seemed to go in a predictable direction. Spoilers below-
The whole blue mist thing keeping away the zombies was very obvious from the get go. It seemed they just had to put Rais or his legacy somewhere in this expansion too, so I guess that was what they were going for by the end.

I was surprised when I saw 'The Mother'; her disfigured face and everything. She actually has supernatural powers? I was also surprised when I was given the choice to either perform a sacrifice or just resist. I didn't really think about what to do so I chose to resist. I fought the Mother, beat her and then was even more surprised to see Crane turn into a volatile (?).
I saw the other ending on youtube. Not sure what to feel about it. These endings definitely weren't in your face good endings. Made me feel bad for Crane overall.

I played through another game yesterday called 'Doki Doki Literature Club' or DDLC in short. It's like an anime dating sim at first sight but the story is lot more than that. It's quite horrifying actually. I've never played a psychological horror game like this before and being very honest, it really creeped me out. I think it was quite popular among youtubers at the time but I never looked into it. I just played it yesterday based on a friend's recommendation.

It's not for everyone so not all of you might enjoy it. It's free too. You can download it from their official site or steam, I think.

D

Deleted member 217926

Another mod played that and recommended it. I added it to my Steam library but haven't played it yet.

The story in The Following was almost bad but the gameplay was great. The Volatile nests were especially horrifying.

The ending made no sense at all. Kill everyone? Everyone you just almost died 3000 times to protect? That was dumb. The turn into a zombie thing was worse.

About 100 hours into The Witcher 3 new game +. Getting close to finishing all the side quests and Witcher contracts. I haven't even really started either DLC yet beyond the stuff for the Hearts of Stone merchant and runewright.

stalinsunny

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Assassin's Creed Series, Call of Duty Series, Need For Speed Series, FIFA Series and Microsofts Age of Empires and Mythology Series..Prince of Persia Series, Hitman Series, Sim City and Sims Series and Grand Theft Auto Series..

I started playing 'The Evil Within' yesterday. I'm having really bad FPS problems with it. Could be that my card just can't handle 1080p but I got around to chapter 3 without too much of an issue. I'm having a hard time with the enemies. I just don't know how to approach them. Ammo was very scarce, so I couldn't shoot my way through. I opted for stealth and it seemed to work just fine. Running away works too. So yeah, I'm still figuring out the game but I'm really liking it so far. I'm on 'Survival' difficulty.

There's a few tweaks you can do to significantly improve performance, all console commands that you can set as launch options in steam. https://steamcommunity.com/app/268050/discussions/0/619569608625450643/

I also used the one to disable the heavy glare filter, which also adds a lot of blur and washes out colors (r_skipglare 1). The skipglare command also increases frame rate. Truth be told, if your rig is halfway modern, you could probably get by fine just using the +r_swapinterval -1 command, which disables the game's forced 30 FPS vsync. Still though, if you dislike the heavy glare and blur and washed out colors, it's worthwhile to also try the skipglare one.

On the stealth, it's wise to get them looking the other direction before sneaking up behind them, which you can do with some well placed bottle tosses. And make sure you stay right behind them, as they twitch their heads left and right looking for prey. It's also useful to take note of where torches and hatchets are, which are one hit/one use weapons.

Later in the game it's also helpful to know that when you knock down enemies carrying melee weapons, it's best to approach them for match burns from the head if they're face up, and from the feet if they're face down. This is because sometimes they will unexpectedly swat at you with their weapon, doing a fair bit of damage.

If enemies are heard bashing on doors to come through (takes them at least 3 hits), you can double tap the key that opens doors to kick the door open, which knocks them to the floor. Any prone enemy can be burned, but you must be close enough to get the light match icon. This saves ammo, however it's wise to survey how many matches there are in the area first to know how many you can afford to burn.

Keep an eye on checkpoints, they can be used to progress safely. The portal mirror that takes you back to the hospital serves to do that, but it's not as good as an objective checkpoint, because those are the ones that help progress you. In dealing with Ruvik, they will come in very handy. I also recommend saving one of the enemy's hatchets before leaving the area he appears in. It makes getting through the next area a lot quicker and easier.

Always look for the little statues. Break them and they have a key inside that will open one of many lockers, which the nurse at the hospital will lead you to after obtaining your first one. Always break them with melee swings when you can to save ammo. The lockers have either a type of ammo, health syringes, or green gel. Some have another key instead.

In chapter 3 there are 3 of them I think, it's one of the toughest chapters early in the game. You can also use the lever activated traps against the boss to save ammo. I know the game well, and have beaten it on all difficulty modes, including Akumu, and a no upgrades run on Nightmare. If you need any other tips, just let me know.

What's great about TEW 1 is the stealth takes time to master, as does playing the game in general. It also has excellent replay value because harder modes have more enemies and more traps, and wall mines have slimmer disarm zones. The enemies are also pretty keen. Once you're spotted, when chasing after you they will hear the last place you sprinted to and run to it. They don't need to see where you ran to. So keep that in mind when evading them, and walk when you can. In TEW 2, the enemies are very dumbed down, really sad.

Thanks for the tips, Frag. I was hoping you'd reply since I know you're an expert at this game.
I've used a program called 'Flawless Widescreen' to increase the FOV in the game. It feels a lot better already. I then turned down my resolution to 720p and the game is a whole lot smoother.

I've finished Chapters 3 and 4. I'm starting to understand the game a lot more too. Ammo is really scarce but you have to make do with what you have. I've gone for stealth kills sometimes to conserve ammo whenever I could. I threw bottles in case I wanted to do a sneak kill. It all fits and I really enjoyed using such mechanics.
I was a bit mislead about burning the bodies. I thought they'd come back from the dead if I didn't burn them. As a result I wasted a bit of matches at the start. I later read somewhere that it wasn't for the purpose I thought it was.

Oh man, I think I missed those statues completely. I knew there was something to them, but meleeing them went over my head. I didn't even think to do it.

Some spoilers(?) about the chapters I've played,
In chapter 3, I did a lot of exploring among all those houses and found all the other weapons. The agony bow and the shotgun. It was a ton of fun just sneaking around the places and encountering enemies. I died a few times from the chainsaw guy because he was pretty fast; much faster than I expected. I had to use all of my shotgun rounds at him and I fired a couple of explosive bolts to finally kill him.

In chapter 4, I made a huge mistake I think. I went straight after Leslie into the small house. There were other huge houses around but I didn't get into them. It was stupid of me. I must have missed a lot of items.
That fight inside the sewers was exhilarating. So many enemies after you. I used up my entire arsenal to kill all of them. The spider lady at the end was even more terrifying.

Pretty sure you should be able to run 1080p with decent settings on your spec if you just use the swapinterval command I posted. It uncaps the FPS and brings it to 60. No need to drop to 720p. Yeah you missed some keys alright, one in the sewer too. And there's a lever down there that drains the blood out, which makes it easier to deal with (and reveals a grenade). There's also a lever up on the catwalk in that little room in the corner that drops fuel barrels, which you can kick into position so you can lure them in there and shoot them to kill multiple enemies. Plus there's a lever on the wall at the end of the room after you exit that little room that sends spikes down from the ceiling to kill them with. There's also a big oil spill outside the door on the other side of that little room you can light a match on to burn them as they rush you.

And yeah, there's some loot like gel and ammo and another key in those houses you missed, plus a bomb rigged chest with good stuff. Helps to explore a lot. There's even a zombie carrying a woman a ways farther back behind the shed that has a mirror portal (always listen for the music to find those), and if you shoot him before he tosses her, she runs into a shed and just dies, then leaves a lot of gel. You probably know by now green gel is used to upgrade skills, weapons, and ammo amount back at the hospital?

Here's a video I made showing how it looks with the glare filter disabled. Better performance too.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mtM6NzXZw"][/video]