Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

With a Ryzen you should have bought a 2x8GB 3200 matched kit of RAM. Ryzen's Infinity Fabric is tied to RAM speed, so with 2400 RAM, you're not getting the best performance from it. If you already have 16GB, it's not the capacity, it's the speed. However it's also not best to have one 16GB module, vs two 8GB modules. In dual channel platforms you get best RAM performance with a two stick dual channel kit that's tested to be within very close tolerances of one another.

Here's the graphics performance guide I used for Origins. It shows which settings have the biggest performance impact. I just set the ones with most impact to Low. It helped quite a bit. The ones I set to Low were, Environment Detail, Shadows, Fog, and Volumetric Clouds.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/582160/discussions/0/1480982971167008998/

I didn't even buy the smoke ability through the whole campaign, and managed to beat all the arena fights and quests with no problem. I imagine too much smoke would also just make any performance problems worse. I prefer attacking big shield guards either with Shield Charge or Overpower. I never even used the shield break method. With Shield Charge they get stunned and lower their shield, so you can either attack from front, or dodge dash behind them for even more damage. You have to be more careful with arena bosses though, especially elite ones. Dodging when they attack and getting behind them is best. They will often counter Shield Charge though, sometimes devastatingly so.

The dialog is linear because it's an Action Adventure game, not RPG. People playing this type of game don't want or expect to have to take lots of time in dialog screens.

As for Remember Me, it's actually a form of fighter game. You have various types of fight tools you can arrange in a combo manage menu to configure your fight tactics. Once you arrange them though, you must tap the appropriate key/button for each tool to make the combo work. It seems complex at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes instinct.

https://segmentnext.com/2013/06/05/remember-me-combos-customization-guide-pressens-and-s-pressens/

imrazor

Distinguished

I had gotten a new system with a Ryzen 7 and RX 580 and thought I'd get a small performance bump in AC Origins since on paper the 580 is slightly stronger than a 970. I didn't count on Ubisoft hating Radeons so much. I swapped out the 580 for my old 970 and saw my framerates skyrocket. I'm now hitting 70+ fps at 1080p/Very Low or 45 fps at 1600p/Medium with the R7 and my old 970.

Getting dual channel RAM may help, but it's not going to be 3200Mhz. This pre-built can only go up to 2666MHz at best, and that's pushing it for this model. As you can see from my GTX 970 results, it seems that the game just doesn't like Radeons. I found some confirmation for this theory here: https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-origins-performance-guide/ . However, although my 970 results are about on par with the reviewer's, my RX 580 framerates are still strangely low. It's a reference card, so that may have something to do with it.

Yeah I was surprised at how good and long the sp campaign was. Very well done. Hope they do the same with TF 3.

Too bad the new Homefront is a POS by comparison. The only thing wrong with the first one is it was ultra short and had infinitely respawning enemies on the hardest mode in the part where you steal the chopper.

The new one is quite a bit longer, but the side missions are a repetitive grind. In fact the whole game feels like a repetitive grind. At least 3 times I thought it was coming to an end, only to be thrust into yet another district with same old repeat gameplay.

Well i tried sorta speed run and i've finished in 9 hours, ending is good, but its a nahh, i literally hated, repetitive grinding... as for shooting and other stuff, sometimes the sneeky way was actuall buggy as hell, sometimes they wouldn't notice a notch sometimes i've got "spotted" by no reason, as for "clearing town" from guards its was soo easy, that i could walk in and just turn the valve (on second city, by campaign).
The second thing that was kinda weird, the DLC, why did they include short run of 20 minutes of how (the wasnt soo good soo i forgot that dudes name) he got into city.
Third the most anyoing why the character (again forgot the name, lazy to look up) doesnt have voice acting but in DLC he has? This is the most anoying thing in most games, like AC, Crysis, COD, Far Cry literally no interaction that your charachter has soul.

Game which was actually "Funny" to play was DLC to Far Cry 3 (you know what i mean).

Anyone heard of game Freeman Guerrilla Warfare and SLRR?

The only game that i could repeat over and over again was NFSC.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
220px-StarsiegeTribesBox.jpg

shazbot!!

I'm sure many of you already know about this, but I just heard Overkill, makers of the PayDay series, were recruited by Robert Kirkman, author of The walking Dead comic book and TV series, to make a coop FPS of The Walking Dead. Since Starbreeze, makers of the Riddick games, now owns Overkill, they will be helping on the project. The launch is set for fall this year. The lead dev at Overkill describes it as having both action and stealth, and melee and shooting. It sounds like there will also be human factions to fight against. It is being developed on UE. Since there's been much talk about the devs loving the new lighting enhancements, I have to assume they mean UE4. Robert Kirkman will be directly involved with the project. Word is Starbreeze has signed on long term with Kirkman's Skybound Interactive.

The exciting thing about this project is they (Overkill lead and Kirkman) say it will be done by two independents, indicating it will be published in house by Skybound. This means more creative freedom of course. They stressed the fact that it will be made the way THEY want to make it, vs made for a set deadline like most publishers demand. However 505 Games are also involved, whom published Sniper Elite V2 and III, so they may take on some part of the publishing, perhaps in Europe, since they're in Italy.

That said, my only concern, since Overkill are known for coop and challenging gameplay, is like PayDay, it might not play well solo. They have said there will be a solo play option like in PayDay, but my experience with such games like PayDay and L4D is the squad AI always get overwhelmed by the enemy AI. Even with constant babysitting and drastic measures from the player, the odds are against you unless you play on the easier modes. My only hope is with Starbreeze involved, they'll think more about solo play, since the Riddick series excelled at it. Then again, Starbreeze as far as I know, has never made a game with squad AI, which seems to leave that task to Overkill, whom have IMO never gotten it right.

Now I know a lot of you are going to probably respond with, "The Walking Dead's been done to death". Well, not really, it's never been done as a coop/FPS, so this time they may finally get it right. From what they've shown so far the graphics look great too. The setting for this game btw is Washington DC. Just PLEASE Overkill, get the sp right for once.

Trailer
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1wb6qcXu3M"][/video]
Dev/Author interview
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtXvzf10b8g"][/video]
Studio walkthrough, with coop characters/squad AI screenshot
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BremoWvgC-8"][/video]

Apr 22, 2018
I'm still constantly drawn back to The Division, which has had more than its fair share of ups and downs, but to me I really enjoy as my first RNG based game. I got totally burned out with Battlefield (a constant decline since BFBC2 in my opinion) and also avoid Battle Royale esque PubG games as I sunk so many hours into H1Z1 and just got fed upp of the genre.

I like Overwatch if I want some PvP based fun. Can be as serious or casual as you make it.

Been playing Far Cry 5 lately. Seemed kinda fun at first, but not quite what I was expecting. I'm getting kind of burned out on the drug and sci fi crap they crammed into it. I'm in the Hellbane River region right now, which is controlled by Faith Seed. Everywhere you look there's these so called "judge" animals that spawn right in front of you and change into another animal in a puff of green drug dust.

Seems to me Far Cry 4 was the only one that really nailed the sci fi stuff. Though I didn't really care for Yogi and Reggie's drug missions, at least Shangri La made sense and was a nice diversion.

Apr 22, 2018

I got a couple of free copies of Far Cry 5, and so am looking forward to giving that a blast. Kinda want my new GPU before doing it. Want it to look pretty. Really enjoyed FC3/4 so got pretty high hopes :)

I just completed my upgrade with a EVGA 1080 SC. A couple months ago I got a i7-8700k, ASUS Prime Z370-A, and a 2x8GB kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200. I was really worried the ACX 3.0 cooler would peak out at 75c or more on stock fan settings, but it's never gone higher than 65c on any games I've played, and at stock settings. It easily handles Far Cry 5 at 1080p or even 1440p DSR at 60 FPS, and stays at that on min, ave and max on the in game bench.

As for Far Cry 5, the game world is good, and the perks system is pretty good,. Being able to recruit various random NPCs to tag along after you help them is nice, and you can unlock special characters for your squad too. They have not only a revive system where you can heal your squad or get healed, but you can choose whether to get healed or give up and restart.

Like I said, the main issue I have with it is the constant drug and sci fi stuff. They have drugged out guys in medical masks running around like zombies everywhere. It gets a bit tedious and silly.

Apr 22, 2018

Ahh yeah, Far Cry love to do those weird little drugged out missions. Not very enjoyable in any of the games from memory haha (I have memories of really hating trying to track Vaas from the dreamworld in FC3)
I have just finished a similar build (8700k, 32GB Corsair, ASUS ROG Z370 - and am waiting for new 1080ti stock. So atm I am still with an ageing GTX760 of my brothers :D)
It's all good, I can barely find time to start a game at the moment so FC5 can wait :)

I had been playing Resident Evil 4 since the start of the month and I've finally finished it. I had tried to play it earlier a couple of times but I always stopped after a while. This time around though I played through it completely. I still have the DLCs to play though. To be honest, I didn't find this to be scary. I felt it completely being in the action department than the scary one. The atmosphere is nice though. I loved the gameplay and it was very addictive. Leon controls like a tank that makes you frown at first but you'll get used to it eventually. Overall, great game and one I'm even thinking of doing another round. This playthrough lasted nearly 15 hours.

I'm still going through AC Origins every now and then. I played the story a bit more yesterday and I think I'm nearing the end game. I'm about 40 hours into it. It's definitely one of my favorites of the AC games, that's for sure.

umbrellacorp89

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I've been enjoying Monster Hunter: World as well as the Mass Effect Trilogy on my XB1. I had never played Mass Effect prior (wasn't a fan of Sci-Fi related anything back then so skipped it) and I must say I'm very impressed!! To have been released 11 years ago, Mass Effect still looks great, and is quite engaging.

For short spurts of gaming, I have been enjoying CoD: WWII on the XB1, and Fortnite and PUBG on iOS.

My girlfriend and I have also been playing some Borderlands here and there. So needless today, been playing quite a few things!

D

Deleted member 217926

The Mass Effect trilogy are probably my favorite games, at least my favorites not called Fallout or The Elder Scrolls.

I'm about 77 hours in Dying Light. I just love this game. Finished the main storyline in a little over 50 hours and I've been playing The Following DLC since. It's excellent and takes the story to the countryside and gives you a buggy to play with.

Well, I guess I'll add that I'm taking a break from the silliness of Far Cry 5 to play through Assassin's Creed Black Flag again. I was surprised to find it drops to 30 FPS at times even with my new EVGA 1080 SC, but have found a couple simple fixes. You can either lock the screen while in game (Windows key + L), then sign in to unlock it and click the taskbar icon of the game to go back in, or enable triple buffering via D3DOverrider or your GPU's control panel. Both ways fix the frame drop issue and keep frame rates steady and high.

I had forgotten how good this game is. It's definitely one of the best AC's of all time. Easily up there with AC 2, and Origins. Aside from the game's Vsync not being triple buffered, it's nearly flawless. Just the naval battles alone are quite compelling.

My only problem is I can't seem to remember how to get to the buy dock option in the Kenway Fleet menu. Anyone know how? I can't even seem to find it Googling. Closest I've found is a screenshot of the dock option, but I don't know how to navigate to it in the menu.

umbrellacorp89

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm glad you've been enjoying Dying Light..I'll have to check it out one day because I've been curious as to how it is. I'm sure the Mass Effect Trilogy will keep me busy for a good while! :)

I've finished AC Origins, main quest wise. I felt the story was good. I read/watched people say that the story was pretty weak but I did not feel so. I think the characters were all very well made especially the leads, Bayek and Aya. I felt they were both pretty important. It didn't seem like just Bayek's story. Bayek's voice actor, to me, did a tremendous job bringing him to life. I adored his traits too and felt close to his character.
I've already talked about gameplay and graphics, and they're really well done. IMO, this is up there with AC2 and Black Flag, as one of my favorites of the series.

I must've played around 40 hours of it and I'm now going for the DLCs and more side quests. I don't feel like putting it down just yet.

Yep, just said it two posts above. I had about 112 hrs in once I finished the main game and The Hidden Ones DLC, but I did all the side quests.

That said, too bad Far Cry 5 is not nearly as good as I'd hoped. I purposely took out the Henbane river lieutenant as soon as possible in hopes the game would no longer have the bliss drug crap. Well, found out the lingering bits in that region still have such elements. Hopefully the other two regions will be more sane.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

You don't seem very action oriented when it comes to games, lol.

I LOVE Dying Light, mostly because I LOVE realistic games with realistic physics and graphics and Dying Light gives you tons of that with a lot of fast paced action and a lot of scares, specially at night.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Though I love Dying Light I've never got that far into it. The farthest I've been in the story was when I got to a mission where I had to sort of swim or go around a sort of Island where you have to clear it up of undead ppl and also tax the normal ppl living inside the walls while protecting them at the same time. That was great until I decided to do a fresh reinstall of Windows and lost my savegame. Never reached that part of the game again... :-(