Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 115 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I've been playing only Doom Eternal lately and just beat it on Hurt Me Plenty about a week ago. I've taken time off from the stress of it since then, but am currently enjoying a 2 week free trial of YouTube TV, which is by far the best streaming TV service I've tried thus far, and I've tried most of them.

I finished Doom Eternal as well, just a few hours ago. I was playing on Ultra Violence from the start. I felt the game was super tough in the beginning but by the end you become a killing machine and I was literally dancing between enemies while taking them out. This game does a phenomenal job at making you feel like a badass. I did not have any more troubles throughout the game. The times I got nervous was when the marauder would show up in between many other huge enemies and that would keep me on my toes pretty much. Still died many times even by the end but it was a lot rarer.

i do love the story so far and the gameplay has been very smooth and actually has a pretty good default gamepad button setup, unlike most games i try with one.

I played Jedi Fallen order with the keyboard and mouse. I felt it a lot more comfortable to time the parries, strikes, dodges etc this way.

I also finished Death Stranding last night. Yeah, I loved this game. I'll defend it lol. The story all came together by the end and was told really really well IMO. Kojima really is a master at story telling. Gameplay too, was very much different from what I usually play and since I took my time to finish it, I did not feel it cumbersome at all. I'd say that the environments were pretty the star of the whole game. There's a variety of terrains to trudge through which made it feel just awesome throughout.

I'm currently deciding on what to play next. I might go ahead and play a horror game like the Evil Within 2 maybe. It's almost been 2 years since I played the first one.

I finished Doom Eternal as well, just a few hours ago. I was playing on Ultra Violence from the start. I felt the game was super tough in the beginning but by the end you become a killing machine and I was literally dancing between enemies while taking them out. This game does a phenomenal job at making you feel like a badass. I did not have any more troubles throughout the game. The times I got nervous was when the marauder would show up in between many other huge enemies and that would keep me on my toes pretty much. Still died many times even by the end but it was a lot rarer.
Yeah I'm through the first 4 missions 100% on a Ultra Violence run at the moment, and yes, as you acquire more batteries, suit points, runes, and a more powerful Blood Punch, you become a killing machine. Just mastering weapons can make quite a difference. I love how once you master the precision rifle it takes on a whole new sound, and can seriously mame or kill any lower level demons near one you headshot.

That said, I'm also finding I may have taken a bit too much time away, as it took a while to get in the groove. Then again, your second run through a mission via Mission Select to get a few things you missed means stronger blood punch, and better health/armor and suit stats.

Here's a before and after of Doom Hunter Base that shows just how much a little leveling and tactic adjusting can do. Second run is a little under half the time.

There's a guy whom goes by DraQu that is a true master at the game. His specialty is speedruns on hardcore shooters. He has a Twitch stream where he beat it on Ultra Nightmare in a little over 3 Hrs 13 Min. He weapon swaps at lightning speeds multiple times on tougher enemies. He can also continuously double jump/dash through battles while getting precision rifle headshots that are so fast you can hardly even see what he hit. He is also extremely good at the platforming, pulling off amazing shortcuts and often boosting his air speed\height by firing the Ballista backward or downward.

Last edited:
You've definitely improved in the second video. I'm curious as to why you didn't shoot the shield away first. I always go for the shield first, then destroy his floater and super shotgun him till he dies. Of course, we don't have the super shotgun at that point...

I felt the super shotgun was what changed the game completely for me. It can take down almost all of the enemies easily. My favorite weapon of the entire game, definitely.

After getting it, I barely used the regular shotgun, only reserving it to shooting a grenade into a cacodemon's mouth.

I started using the Ballista very late in the game and it's a shame because I found that using it + super shotgun made it easier to take down a marauder.

I also barely used the attached flamethrower. Maybe using it like 10 times in the entirety of the game. I wish I used the freeze grenade more often though. It was super handy when there was a crowd of enemies. It was what I upgraded fully as well.

Half way into the game I started using the auto target mod for the rocket launcher. I reserve that for when I see a mancubus.

D

Deleted member 217926

If anyone else has an embarrassing number of hours in Battletech, the Battletech Advanced 3062 mod now has the Clan invasion along with mechs and equipment.

Also playing Watch Dogs 2 and I've started but barely played Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Just Cause 4 is free on Epic right now.

You've definitely improved in the second video. I'm curious as to why you didn't shoot the shield away first.
Because his sled is the weakest part and isn't shielded, and once it's destroyed he has no shield. I'm pretty sure it even says that in the popup tutorial when you first encounter him. As you can see in the second video, blood punching his sled does huge damage. You have to be careful when getting close though because his melee does tons of damage to you.

At a certain point of upgrading it, the freeze bomb will freeze a Doom Hunter. Until that point, an alternative safe method of blood punching them is baiting them into a melee, dodging backwards, then dashing in for the punch like I did the last Hunter in the 2nd vid.

There's certain places I use the Super Shotgun a lot, like in that big room right after getting it with all the big square cubes you smash open that have various enemies in them. In arena battles though I like to wait until I have the flaming meathook, or at least upgraded enough to be able to go for the mastery that unlocks it. Thus far I've not acquired enough weapon points to spend on it, or the plasma rifle, which would be my first priority.

It's kinda cool that you can use the Ripatorium to work on mastery of weapons, but since it's only accessible at certain intervals, it's only so useful. I did however use it to get 8 of the 75 required headshots toward Precision Rifle mastery, and I picked up from that point with the below video, which is from the start of Doom Hunter Base up through the first big battle.

Last edited:
Also playing Watch Dogs 2 and I've started but barely played Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Just Cause 4 is free on Epic right now.

Maybe I should play Watch Dogs 2. I've been itching to play a game that has driving in it for a while now. I've tried getting into this game a few times but I always dropped it after initially reaching the safe house.
Another reason I dropped it was that it crashed on me a few times. It was hard crash too, forcing me to restart the PC. I think it happened 2 times.

I had already played through Just Cause 4 quite some time ago. I really enjoyed it. It was stupid, mindless fun. They tried for variety in missions but ultimately it still felt repetitive. I thoroughly enjoyed the main missions however where we went to take down the weather system weapons. Rico got super serious in this one though which is kind of odd. In JC3, he was super sarcastic the whole time.

Because his sled is the weakest part and isn't shielded, and once it's destroyed he has no shield. I'm pretty sure it even says that in the popup tutorial when you first encounter him.

I must've not read it properly. I always thought that the shield had to be taken down before you went for the sled/floater.

I must've not read it properly. I always thought that the shield had to be taken down before you went for the sled/floater.
I'm pretty sure it just says the plasma rifle is most effective at wearing down his shield. They probably could have worded it better, but once you read the whole thing you realize destroying his sled, which isn't shielded, is the weakest part, and what generates the shield. Try blood punching the sled after firing rockets at it, huge damage. Just be careful not to get hit by his melee attack.

I started Watch Dogs 2. It's a decent game but I have some huge frustrations at the moment. Stealth is pretty much the way to play most missions I think but I haven't been able to finish a single one without alerting everyone. Using the RC jumper to navigate around and hack stuff is cool as hell but I wish it was a lot more refined.
Guns don't make any sense to me in this game. I avoid killing the enemies at all costs. All I do is stun/melee them.
I absolutely hate how they've mapped skip dialog to the Esc key. I'd be doing some exploring, jumping around cameras while listening to the dialog and then I hit Esc to stop checking the cameras but the game skips whatever dialog there was! I had this happen to me a good 4-5 times now and it is super annoying.
Escaping the cops is an absolute nightmare. It may be because I'm early in the game but I have to spend a good 10 minutes to escape from them which is awful.
It's a shame because I really like everything else this game gives you.

I've also been playing Crysis 3. It's my second playthrough although I don't remember the game being so short. I'm already at the final level. The graphics still holds up for a 7 year old game. Really looking forward to the first game's remaster now.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
I purchased Fallout 76 and played it over the weekend, I've been REALLY enjoying it. Except when I first launched it... my framerate seemed to be locked at some really strange amount (i forget what, but it wasn't anything obvious (i.e. 60)) and there's nowhere to change any settings of that nature, as well as the absence of any vsync related settings. I was on the verge of requesting a refund and then of course it turns out you just need to edit a .ini to change a setting that (IIRC) halves your framerate because excessive framerates can, or in the past would, cause some game altering/breaking behavior. After that I get 144+ FPS almost everywhere and only in highly detailed villages or when viewing long distances with many trees and such does it briefly dip below 100. It's great, and it only adds to my confusion as to why they wouldn't build that option in to the menu of the PC version. I guess they don't want to (or possibly can't) steer the look & functionality of the PC version and its menus in a different direction from the console version? And if you're playing on a >60Hz monitor, you're just doomed to play at abysmal frames unless you google how to alter the config/pref file???

Also, with the altered .ini file/"unlocked" frames, I haven't noticed any game-breaking effects, except when I'm indoors and at like 250/300+ frames, it's almost like sometimes the game doesn't register some of my WASD movement inputs. This rarely ever happens, and I reckon it's the games way of limiting the aforementioned game altering behavior such as excessive walking/running speed at higher than intended FPS

Mar 27, 2020
The game I've played most recently is League of Legends. It was plenty of fun as support bot.

The games I'm looking forward to are Camelot Unchained and Crowfall, two upcoming medieval MMORPGs.

May 4, 2020
Hi. I'm new on the forum, can't find a thread for new people but whatever. At the moment my favorite game is Terraria - I can play it with my friends during the pandemic and we have some fun fighting bosses or just hanging out in our collective base. Haven't played much single player, too busy watching Netflix.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi. I'm new on the forum, can't find a thread for new people but whatever. At the moment my favorite game is Terraria - I can play it with my friends during the pandemic and we have some fun fighting bosses or just hanging out in our collective base. Haven't played much single player, too busy watching Netflix.

Hi @Sizzlerid26

Welcome to the forums!

As for Terraria, it's an excellent game. Much like the dwarve's of Moria, I dug too deep and awoke something. :eek: Haven't played since.

Enjoy your stay..

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My adult daughter & I recently finished Borderlands 3 via coop. While we love the series and have now worked our way through all 3 and their various DLC's, we both agree the series has started to get a little... repetitive for lack of a better word. That being said, we'll prob. be the 1st in line to buy Borderlands 4 if there is ever one released. :p

I was a late comer to the Division series and started with #2. Loved it. Got to world tier 3 a year or so back before I got burnt out. The "Warlords of New York" DLC sounded fun so I recently reinstalled the game after buying the DLC. Currently working my way through the base game again so I can "naturally" level up to 30 before I begin the DLC, as that's the min level you have to be before you can start it and not interested in the option to insta-lvl to 30 just so I can start it. Reached lvl 20 this morning before coming into work, so I still have a ways to go as I'm in no rush. The game is very satisfying, regardless if you want to do a quick mission or a long session.

Also working on a new Summon Spider build in POE in-between.

Last but not least, I'm a big fan of the Far Cry series and have them all except for 5. Had a backlog of games I was working through when it came out so I didn't pick it up until a few days ago during a nice sale I stumbled across. I played it briefly when it first came out & loved it so it was a given I'd eventually get it. Ever since I was trying to talk my daughter into getting it, but she had no interest. A few days ago I caught her while she was weak and she caved and bought it. Now all she wants to do she says when she gets off of work is to play coop with me! LOL! No arguments here!

...on top of working 6 days a week...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I haven't played PoE in a while, can you summon spiders now? Or is that the lightning spell that summons the little electricity spider things?

Yes, with a dagger called "Arakaali's Fang" 100% chance to summon a spider on kill. Works with any class. If your player is leveled up correctly, the spiders kill everything in sight almost instantly. Here is an older Video of the dagger in action, but it gives a good general idea.

I finished Crysis 3 a few weeks back. It definitely felt super short.

My gripes with Watch Dogs 2 are fading slowly. I have unlocked more skills which made the game a lot easier. I still think stealth is pretty unforgiving. I get spotted very easily and I try using the RC jumper or quad copter as much as I can, but their actions are limited. I am slowly liking Marcus and his gang. The missions are also very cool.

I started Yakuza Kiwami 2 as well. It's been well over a year since I played a yakuza game, so the burn out has gone away. The game looks stunning in the new engine. I'm still very early in the game but I am liking everything thrown at me so far.

D

Deleted member 217926

I wasn't impressed with Crysis 3 but I need to play it again. I played it when it was released and it's been years.

Still playing Watch Dogs 2 myself. I should have finished it by now but the Battletech Advanced 3062 mod added the Clan invasion so I got lost playing Battletech again. :D

I just finished Watch Dogs 2. Wow, this game was much better than the original. I really loved how they approached gameplay in this one. I think the hacking segments and what not felt a lot more refined and the use of your remote gadgets like the RC jumper and quadcopter really opened up the opportunities for stealth.
The story was where I felt it was a bit weak. The character development was good enough though. I liked the whole crew except Horatio whom I felt was really underused. A few characters from the original game added in here also had me surprised. I definitely liked Marcus more than I did Aiden, although he can be very cringey at times.
There were a few levels where I was able to stealth through with just the gadgets at my disposal and it felt so rewarding. The final mission was a lot easier than most other story missions. I remember the first game's last level being super hard but still rewarding at the same time. Here, it just felt like a walk in the park.

I'm about halfway through Yakuza Kiwami 2. I feel a bit bummed about no variation in combat styles anymore. 0 and Kiwami had multiple fighting styles but here you're restricted to just one.

I also started playing Mafia 2 Definitive Edition. I have already played Mafia 2 a couple of times back when it was released but I have forgotten most of the details. I forgot just how engaging the story in this game was. I'm probably even more so engaged now because I'm able to understand what's going on a lot more, lol. The remaster itself is nothing special. Just some upgraded textures here and there.

WildCard999

Titan
Maybe it's my love of sharks but I'm really digging Maneater. It's probably not for most as its not the longest game (9 hours/65% completion) and probably has limited replay value but the story is actually pretty good and I think the price is reasonable. The graphics are really good and the combat is good imo as long as you fight smart and fluently. One thing I think Tripwire (devs) did really well on is the sounds/music in the game. I'd really like to see some future DLC for it, maybe more armor and mutations or even a new area/story would be great.

Well this is huge bummer! Mafia 2 glitched on me and I can't complete the second last chapter anymore (Chapter 14). Joe is stuck on the roof of a building and I can't finish this game unless he starts walking down by himself. What a shame! I was really enjoying the story...

EDIT: I downloaded a separate save file from the internet and thought I'd skip it and go straight to the final chapter but it decided to crash on me after a cutscene. Yeah, I'm done with this one...

Last edited:
May 30, 2020
My favorite game of all time is the Baldur's Gate Trilogy. Another game that I keep coming back to is Crusader Kings 2. It's always installed, even when I'm playing something else at the moment.

The best game I've played recently is Resident Evil 2 Remake. Surely one of my favorite games this generation, next to MGSV, Hitman (2016) and DOOM.

Lately I've been playing Final Fantasy XV as well - quite a decent game. Has some epic moments, but it does get repetitive quite fast, what with the ridiculous amount of fetch quests and all.

I started playing The Outer Worlds. I'm about 10 hours in the game and so far, I'm really liking it. It's not as engaging as Fallout New Vegas but it comes close. The combat is a bit easy though and that's probably because I'm playing on normal difficulty. The weapons are okay, although I think light and heavy weapons lack distinction in terms of the damage you do. I do like that you can take two companions at the same time. Characters are okay so far, some written better than others.

I'm not completely sold on our main purpose in the game. I feel the game hasn't made me aware enough about 'The Hope' all too well. I don't really care about that part of the story at the moment. It doesn't have that vengeance vibe like going after the man who put a bullet in your head in New Vegas. I think the quests have been pretty good too. I've been provided with choices in most of the situations.

I'm also still playing Kiwami 2. Still engaging as ever.