Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 129 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Looking to get back into gaming, but am VERY focused on single player.
Quake 1-3, Unreal, Portal.

Suggestions for something of this decade? Run and shoot vs RPG. Not into spell casting...;)
TV shows and movies are really starting to mostly suck huh? Hehe. Sounds like you are around my age. The last time I really got into gaming - besides Bejeweled which has been on every phone since iPhone 3 and is really fantastic on the Steam pc version - was the Atari 800 (well 1200 actually: I had and still mostly have everything Atari computer,usually in duplicate or more.
Except for Unreal Tournament 2004 on the pc. Love that game. And I'm good! Well,I should be,I've been playing since 2004!

I insist on 1st person shooters in single player mode these days because I'd like to play for 10 seconds befor some 11 year old twitch kiddie offs me ;>

I've been playing Grand Theft Auto 4 and 5. Both have single player-even GTA5 Online (you can make an online instance where you are the only real person there. A must before you play real humans). Not only are they fun,but they can be hilarious.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the game I decided to spend more than $200 on a graphics card for. Unfortuantly I was going to do a build near the end of last year. If I could go back in time I would scream "no! don't wait to see how low the price will go during Black Friday!!!" I can't remember not spending a lot on Black Friday on major PC purchases. Here's to hoping for better days!

I have Quakes and Portal in my Steam account and still didn't get to the Portals.

As I am stating to get back into games (albeit with a 4700g),I realize I need to concentrate on just a few games. For me it is GTA 4 and 5,Red Dead 2,and Rome 2 Remastered. (I have a bunch of simulators I never got around too.

Keep an eye on www.gog.com as they have older games at great discounts and the Steam Summer Sale will having you spend more than you wanted-that is how I have so many games I am just getting around to.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: punkncat

boju

Titan
Ambassador
TV shows and movies are really starting to mostly suck huh? Hehe. Sounds like you are around my age. The last time I really got into gaming - besides Bejeweled which has been on every phone since iPhone 3 and is really fantastic on the Steam pc version - was the Atari 800 (well 1200 actually: I had and still mostly have everything Atari computer,usually in duplicate or more.
Except for Unreal Tournament 2004 on the pc. Love that game. And I'm good! Well,I should be,I've been playing since 2004!

I insist on 1st person shooters in single player mode these days because I'd like to play for 10 seconds befor some 11 year old twitch kiddie offs me ;>

I've been playing Grand Theft Auto 4 and 5. Both have single player-even GTA5 Online (you can make an online instance where you are the only real person there. A must before you play real humans). Not only are they fun,but they can be hilarious.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the game I decided to spend more than $200 on a graphics card for. Unfortuantly I was going to do a build near the end of last year. If I could go back in time I would scream "no! don't wait to see how low the price will go during Black Friday!!!" I can't remember not spending a lot on Black Friday on major PC purchases. Here's to hoping for better days!

I have Quakes and Portal in my Steam account and still didn't get to the Portals.

As I am stating to get back into games (albeit with a 4700g),I realize I need to concentrate on just a few games. For me it is GTA 4 and 5,Red Dead 2,and Rome 2 Remastered. (I have a bunch of simulators I never got around too.

Keep an eye on www.gog.com as they have older games at great discounts and the Steam Summer Sale will having you spend more than you wanted-that is how I have so many games I am just getting around to.

Hope this helps.

Good suggestions but hope you realise ya quoted a post from 2014 :)

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
HAHAHAHAHA!
I'm not kidding!
"Good suggestions but hope you realise ya quoted a post from 2014"
I actually bought most my games in the Steam Summer sale of 2014.
Just getting around to them!

So what do you play now?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So what do you play now?

At the moment, been into Assetto Corsa Competizione with a racing sim setup. Racing is good, up there with Project Cars 2.

When it comes to fps games, well ive got a whole history dating back a couple decades. Most memorable single play and multiplayer lan/internet days would have to be but not limited to, UT99, AVP & AVP2, Doom 1&2, Quake 2&3, Team Fortress Classic & CS, Sven Coop ~ Mods of original Half Life, Half Life 2, Monster Truck Madness 2, Worms, Need for Speed, Command and Conquer especially Red Alert 2, Duke Nukem 3D.

Most favorable games of late, like 5 years or so up until recent (Don't play all that much anymore) would have to be Far Cry 4, GTA5 (I've played all GTA's, even the early bird's eye view additions, all were great but 5 just kicked it to a whole new level for me) and Ghost Recon Wild Lands, well what a ride that game was, in all aspects, visuals, audio, battles and equipment.

Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary (Original remastered) is on Steam. Original Command and Conquer is also on Steam and has had a make over as well by the original Devs, Westwood. Check out Doomsday Engine if have the itch to replay the original Doom classics with OpenGL support, it's amazing.

Half Life 2 and eps if you haven't played them, id highly recommend them. Old game yes but game play is fantastic and resolution support has kept up. Recommend also Far Cry 4 and Ghost Recon if haven't played these. Possibly Far Cry 5 as well but i enjoyed 4 more, and then also Far Cry 5's followup gamel New Dawn, New Dawn is quite short, but only if you rush the story. The side quests keep you busy and overall i enjoyed ND more than 5.

Reactions: ClapTrapper
have gotten a bit of the way through Biomutant and it's turned out to be pretty good.
decent story and a lot of side content all over the place.
a pretty large mostly open map with a good amount of items, locations, & NPCs to stumble upon.
a rather cartoony world but it is beautiful in most places.
combat has some variety of moves for different weapon classes and offers some fun special moves.
there's a lot of character development options but as i get farther into it it seems i'll have maxed out almost every option before 3/4 of the map is uncovered.

one bad aspect i've really found is the keyboard\mouse options.
weapons, consumables, mounts, and other usable items have to be accessed through popup selection wheels.
no option to bind separate keys to individual items like almost every PC game for decades.
i would also really enjoy more camera control.
being stuck with a close-up 3rd person camera has always been a downside to a lot of action games for me. it works but scrolling the camera out twice as far would be awesome.
also quite a bit of content seems to be copy\pasted around the map. not bad enough to be considered repetitive but you start to notice some structures and area layouts repeating in different locations.

was pretty funny creating a cute fuzzy little cartoon character to go out and fight and murder enemies & monsters all over the land.
overall i would recommend it to anyone who likes 3rd person action rpg style games.

I've started playing World of Warships now as well, so I'm bouncing (very casually) between Genshin Impact, Guild Wars 2, Warframe and World of Warships. Also VR games. Quite fun, I gotta say.

Regards.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
My biggest game right now is Final Fantasy XIV.
I do plan to jump into Guild Wars 2 when their expansion releases, been excited to go back to Cantha.

Outside of those, Gacha games like Fate Grand Order, Azur Lane, and Arknights take up most of my time.
Warframe is also a game I play on an off, and occasionally I'll try to play a single player game but they tend to not keep my attention for more than 10 hours lol.

have gotten into Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG for the first time in a couple years.
swore i wouldn't let it update again or try it until v1.0 was released but read a few comments on Steam forums about the content being nearly finished and figured i'd give it another run anyway. seems to be only missing actual voice dialogue, if that's even planned for the final release.
a great isometric RPG set for final release in September. i'm probably ~10hrs into it and have run into zero issues.

D

Deleted member 14196

Playing through the BioShock remastered series. Second game still stinks but others are excellent as remembered

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I recently loaded DOTA 2. I kept seeing it being used as a gaming benchmark by a YouTuber I like to watch and figured I would try it. Absolutely reminds me of the WarCraft games I used to play. I haven't actually delved off into an actual online game yet.

One of the posters above made a great point about logging on for a few seconds to be killed off by a trash talking 11yo. I try to keep things to campaign modes. My current and fairly long standing favorite game is The Division 2. I like Tom Clancy titles in general.

I have been very reluctant to purchase many new games. I haven't purchased anything in a while that actually made me feel "good" about spending the money on it. I picked up Cyberpunk based on all the hype and just don't feel any real connection or motivation to continue playing it. I feel the same way about Witcher. They are both beautiful games and that aspect alone is semi rewarding...but I just prefer to get in , play an objective or two and get out. I don't like to spend 99% of my game time wandering around "collecting herbs".

I would say of all the game I have played that the old Warhammer series are by far my favorites and I still keep Soulstorm loaded and ready to play.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Lately ran some GTA V PC Online Mode making some $$$ in various methods, then I turned on Mass Effect Legendary Edition and finished the first two games of the three on insanity with some extra tweaks from the save editor, Now I'd activated my old physical copy of GTA IV complete edition on the new Rockstar launcher and currently playing from the very beginning on 4K resolution with some fresh accomplishments to be unlocked.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Just Collected Dwayne of GTA 4 PC Complete Edition to attempt a full playthrough of a New game restart due to dwayne glitch after I already did 93 missions on the previous play, with any luck might make it far in this run...so far so good no glitches this time...going for 100%.

Been a while since I last posted. I played a lot of games since then too. I was just lazy to update lol.

I finished Days Gone since I last posted. I don't know if I grew to liking the cutscenes or their quality just improved dramatically as the game progressed. I really really liked this game. It's definitely up there tied with Dying Light at the top spot as my favorite open world zombie game. I'll post some more thoughts about it later, this post will take too long otherwise...

I also played through Resident Evil Village. Despite me not playing Resident Evil 7, I had watched an entire playthrough of it back in 2017 I think. I somewhat had an idea of whom Ethan was etc. Not that it's completely needed to enjoy this game though... it gives you an overview anyway when you start. I definitely had a swell time playing it. Lots of people said it's not as scary as 7 and even the devs confirmed that it was intentional. I agree too, it's not scary, it's more action packed. Except for a few levels, the scariness factor was definitely dialed back. I'm not complaining though, since I contributed to Capcom's reasoning that many people avoided 7 because it was too scary. I indeed didn't play 7 because I too thought it was too scary lol. I wish I was more brave, damn.

During the steam sale, I had also picked up EA Play. I played through and finished NFS Heat. It's been so long since I played an NFS game. It was okay. Car customization is sweet. The racing itself is arcadey as you'd expect. The story is average. Its dumb but I liked it. I'm also the same guy who enjoyed NFS: The Run because it had a nice unique story to it, IMO.

I replayed Max Payne 3 just yesterday. Probably the fastest I've ever finished the game too, under 1 day. I paid more attention to the story this time. Last time I played it (probably 2012-13), I was still in school and I was playing mostly for the gameplay. Shoot dodge and bullet time feels so good and satisfying. I also feel like I enjoyed it a lot more during this playthrough than my first one.

I'm still playing through Shadowman Remastered. I took a break from it for like a month and a half because the Youtuber I had been checking walkthroughs with stopped posting for a while. I resumed soon after learning he posted new ones. I also just started Nier: Automata yesterday. I can't say much about it because I'm pretty lost in terms of understanding what this game is all about. But I saw a lot of high praise towards it so I'm excited. These are the 2 games I'm playing at the moment.

BTW, what happened to anort3? Did he delete his account?

Last edited:
I finished Days Gone since I last posted. I don't know if I grew to liking the cutscenes or their quality just improved dramatically as the game progressed. I really really liked this game. It's definitely up there tied with Dying Light at the top spot as my favorite open world zombie game. I'll post some more thoughts about it later, this post will take too long otherwise...
Did you kill all the hordes? I'm finding it to be quite an adventure with the Massive Hordes mod. I have to farm resources to make throwable weapons more often. It's not as bad as I worried though, quite often I can lose them when they're chasing me, and just kill them in chunks, using my saddlebags to resupply ammo. And even though I am not sleeping this time to travel and do missions in the morning, it's not been that hard playing them at night. At times it's even easier, like when a big horde is roaming near one of the camps I'm about to take out, I can just toss a pipe bomb or grenade in their camp, and the horde swallows them up in seconds.

just starting up Detroit: Become Human again after quite some time.
i enjoyed the short amount of time put into it my first run.
tried Beyond: Two Souls and didn't enjoy the characters or the gameplay.
you can definitely tell they are both Quantic Dream games though.
finished Days Gone since I last posted. I don't know if I grew to liking the cutscenes or their quality just improved dramatically as the game progressed
i started up the game and out of the first 30mins-1hr i got about 2mins of gameplay through a bunch of very annoying cutscenes.
seemed more like a bad movie with a few button presses here and there.
even started to remind me of some of the bad quick time event based games from years ago.
seeing your comments about it though i may just look for someone to give me a save state for later on and see how much it may actually improve as the game continues.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Unreal Tournament 2004 CTF with 23 bots. On Ryzen 7 5800X + RTX 2060S :p Because fun and gibs.

I log into the new UT servers every once in a while, hard to find other players though. Original UT and UT 3 were the standouts for me. 2k3 and 2k4 never really caught on with me, game felt too much like Quake III, which is fun in its own way.

I decided to get the Mass Effect Legendary trilogy, which are remasters of the originals. I'm on the 1st game so far on Hardcore. I've beaten them all on Insanity before, save for Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC fight between Shepard and his clone. It's also been quite a while since I've played any of them, so I went for Hardcore to keep it challenging, but also fun.

I've already maxed out my Paragon points, even though main mission wise I just acquired Liara and did one mission after to nuke Saren's research labs. Although ME1 Legendary certainly has better graphics than the original, mostly I've been reminded of how few main missions there are, how copy and pasted building interiors look, how frustratingly small battle areas are, and how idiotically frantic the AI are.

I'm definitely looking forward to ME2 and 3 Legendary though, because IMO that's where the ME trilogy was at it's best, including their DLCs. I don't recall if it was an option in the originals, but you have a choice between Classic mode with 60 levels, and Legendary mode with 30 levels. The name Legendary kind of implies it's new to this remaster, but not sure. I chose Legendary mode, and as I hoped, it feels a bit less grindy.

Last edited:
just got Elden Souls which is a fun but hard isometric-style Demon/Dark Souls like game. trying to get started but the first 1-2 hours of play and i've already died ~50 times.

finally finished Biomutant, was a great game but had even much more potential with some more personalized crafting and a few other additions.
nmCrnMb.jpg