Question When booting to windows 10 CPU fan spins very fast and monitor shows "no display"

Jul 8, 2020
Help! Am I screwed? It can boot into safe mode but when I boot normally, monitor shows no signal and CPU fan spins very fast. I just built this computer 3 days ago! Here's my specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte A320M-S2H
CPU: Ryzen 3 2300x
RAM: Crucial 8gb (4gbx2) 2400mhz
GPU: Gigabyte RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming
HDD: 500GB Western Digital
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Were is you monitor connected? To the motherboard or the GPU?

You are able to get into safe mode? Is the operating system a fresh install?

In bios did you make sure you load optimized default settings?

Is the CPU fan connected to the correct header? Are you getting any warning messages?

There is like a million things it could be. Provide more details.

Jul 8, 2020
Its connected to my gpu. I was able to get into safe mode and no, its not fresh installed. When I was in safe mode, my GPU is not detected when I opened task manager. Im 100% sure I loaded it with optimized settings. The CPU fan is connected to CPU fan header. I've tried clearing the CMOS, but still no luck. Here's a little history, my GPU was used for mining before I bought it and of course, I've changed the thermal paste.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Its not a fresh install. So you pulled your HDD out of another build?
Is the rest of the hardware also new? I understand the GPU is used, and it is okay if the other hardware is used also, but if this is the first time you are putting all this hardware together, then I recommend a fresh install of windows first. Then install the appropriate drivers.

However, if all the hardware has already been running and all you did was swap the GPU then it is most likely the display driver for your GPU. You would need to DDU whatever driver you already have installed and then install the correct driver. The first page of this thread has the exact details on how to do this.

Hopefully this fixes your issue.

Jul 8, 2020
No luck. I tried booting up with my old GPU. It works. Im 100% sure that my RX 470 is fried. I can smell something burnt behind the io shield. Thanks for the time M3rKn

Reactions: M3rKn