[SOLVED] When i plug de HDD the pc wont boot

Nov 8, 2020
So for the past couple of days i had this problem where if i restart my pc i need to first unplug the HDD,boot from the SSD then turn off the pc,plug in the HDD and it would have worked(but after that every after pc restart i had to repeat),and now for some reason when i try to boot,no matter what i do when i plug the HDD either it wont boot or i get a black screen,i tried to enter windows repair tool and reset the HDD but i get a black screen,same goes for USB windows installer thing,i tried to use that to boot and reset the HDD but the same thing,i get a black screen(i see the windows logo for a sec on the monitor then its all black)Is there a way to delete everything on the HDD or is there a problem with it,because a couple hours ago it worked perfectly fine,and now its just wont boot.

Solution
Enter the BIOS, and double check that your boot device priority (order) has the desired drive with your OS on top...

If the second drive also has a WIndows installation from an older build on it, and you wish to nuke it/clear it...after booting from the correct drive (be sure!) you can enter admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt and click on the drive in question and format it... (be sure to do the correct one, as the OS drive is nor always first or on top, etc...)
Enter the BIOS, and double check that your boot device priority (order) has the desired drive with your OS on top...

If the second drive also has a WIndows installation from an older build on it, and you wish to nuke it/clear it...after booting from the correct drive (be sure!) you can enter admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt and click on the drive in question and format it... (be sure to do the correct one, as the OS drive is nor always first or on top, etc...)

Solution
Nov 8, 2020

Yeah that doesn work,i did set up the boot drive to be my SSD and it doesn work unless i unplug the HDD,when i try to plug the HDD it just wont load or i get a black screen,i also tried to clean the drive using the windoes usb boot installer thingy and it just doesn load up for some reason.

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
It might be possible that the HDD is possibly corrupted. I have had this happen to me before but if there is another solution then speak it out but from my knowledge, it’s corrupted.

certainly, failing drives can drag down a system with failed reads...

I've seen a quick formatted but failing laptop drive drag down a 960 EVO system that normally boots in 10-12 seconds have it's boot time lengthened to 60 seconds whenever the 5400 RPM drive was attached....