Question When I try to turn off my PC, it doesn't turn off.

Jul 18, 2022
Hello,

When I hit the power button on Windows 10 or from the case button, the PC stops giving video and the peripherals turn off, but the fans and internal components are turned on.

Components:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: GTX 1050
Motherboard: Gygabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
Ram: 2x8GB TeamGroup
M.2: WD Blue SN570 NVMe de 1 TB SSD
Power Supplies: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 80+ Gold 600W

Ralston18

Titan
New build?

Could be some error of omission or commission with respect to the internal connections. Especially the case.

Question: Why is the physical case button being used to turn off the PC versus using the Windows Power icon to shutdown?

Physically powering off the PC can result in corrupted files and even more problems.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Physically powering off the PC can result in corrupted files and even more problems.
I thought that too, but it seems the power button on case and the power button in windows do the same thing - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-power-button/

it does still depend how long you hold the physical button down though
When I press the power button lets you change what the physical button on your computer does. By default it's set to Shut Down -- so if you press the button, it's the same as issuing a Shut Down command via the Start Menu. You can change this to Sleep, Hibernate, Turn off the display, or Do nothing here.

Note that no matter what you choose here, pressing and holding the power button for several seconds will still cause a hard shutdown, like pulling the plug.

if you hold button in too long it will do a hard shutdown.