Question When saving Word 2013 document: File Explorer taking a long time to load files when typing in search

Mar 11, 2019
Here is the process: I go to save a Word 2013 document (.docx), browse for the shared folder I want to save it to, then click on that folder. When inside I then type in the first few letters of the folder I want to save the word document to using file explorer search. When I type this in the search, letters A-G are automatically searchable, but any letter after that takes around 20-30 seconds to load and become searchable.

I believe this is simply a matter of it loading slowly BUT this only happens with Word! Any other program this does not happen, I am able to search immediately in file explorer when typing in the first few letters of the file.

This isn't a serious problem obviously, just a matter of convenience. I do this process of saving quite often and it really does take a lot of time away from my day. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

I don't have that problem with Word 2016. But without any details about your system I can't give you much help. Maybe you could be short on RAM or maybe you have lots and lots of folders inside of the first folder you click on. If the latter is the case, you might want to insert a few folders in between. If you're running a 32 bit system, maybe you need to go to a 64 bit one.

Reactions: TQZ91
Mar 11, 2019
I don't have that problem with Word 2016. But without any details about your system I can't give you much help. Maybe you could be short on RAM or maybe you have lots and lots of folders inside of the first folder you click on. If the latter is the case, you might want to insert a few folders in between. If you're running a 32 bit system, maybe you need to go to a 64 bit one.
I have an i5 with 8 GB RAM and a 1 TB hard drive. Running 64 bit Windows 10.

There are a huge amount of folders that are being loaded from this mapped drive. Due to the fact that this only happens with Word docs leads me to believe that it's an issue with that. With any other kind of file to be saved and with any program the folders are able to be searched automatically.