Question Where can I buy Windows 11 Pro Full retail version?

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I am building 3 new Alder Lake computers. I thought maybe I should make one of them a Windows 11 build just to try it out. I have been searching everywhere for a Full Retail Version of Windows 11 Pro. Not an Upgrade, not an OEM version. To my surprise, I cannot find it at legit retailers, (like Newegg etc). I spent the last 45 minutes in endless webpage loops on Microsoft's site trying to find a place to buy it. You can't! Microsoft's site just tells you to upgrade from within Windows 10. (Like I am going to Buy Windows 10, install it on one of my new builds then "Upgrade" it to Windows 11). Microsoft's site also tries to link me to various computer vendors to see if I can buy one from them and Upgrade to Windows 11.
Maybe I am just Old and Confused, or I just have a really Low Forehead. ( It happens). If anyone has any ideas let me know. As of right now, I will install Win 10 pro on two of them. Wait a few weeks and if I can't find the Win 11 Pro Full, I will put Win 10 Pro on the last one. ( I do like Win 10, It works well enough).

Colif

Win 11 Master
they are rather stupid; It only shows upgrade or buy new pc, not the actual software itself - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/get-windows-11

strange you can't buy it from one of the companies you mentioned, I see it for sale in retail in my country - for example - https://www.pccasegear.com/products...FkjjCTC6ftSsm3b9dMgvwasqggZ0KhwRoCD2wQAvD_BwE

the licence is the bit you want to buy as the installer is free - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Newegg - https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-11-pro/p/N82E16832350882

Reactions: Sluggotg

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
they are rather stupid; It only shows upgrade or buy new pc, not the actual software itself - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/get-windows-11

strange you can't buy it from one of the companies you mentioned, I see it for sale in retail in my country - for example - https://www.pccasegear.com/products...FkjjCTC6ftSsm3b9dMgvwasqggZ0KhwRoCD2wQAvD_BwE

the licence is the bit you want to buy as the installer is free - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Newegg - https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-11-pro/p/N82E16832350882
Those are the OEM versions. If you use OEM versions and your motherboard dies, Microsoft can kill the license. The Full version can be moved to any computer you want. ( Only on one machine at a time). Also there is no support option on the OEM version. Here is Windows 10 OEM: https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit/p/N82E16832588491 , and Here is Windows 10 Full: https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro/p/N82E16832350412
Thanks for the response. I normally only buy the Full versions. ( Probably a bit of a waste of money, but I has no strings attached).

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Most likely you can install windows 11 pro using windows 10 pro license key.
Download windows 11 installation media from microsoft.
That sounds possible, but I wonder if that will still work 4 years from now when I upgrade the hardware and try to reinstall. Or just doing a reinstall in a few months. ( Incase one of the "Helpful" updates Microsoft auto-installs forces me to do a complete reinstall to fix). I was told that when users got the free Windows 10 buy using a Windows 7 license, it nukes the Win 7 License. Did they get a Legit License for Win 10? I would think if I did that for Win11 with a Win10 license it should give me a new Win11 License. Has anyone done that?
Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
The difference between retail and OEM got blurred with win10 as you can move it to another PC at least once, retail may still offer more moves but really that is main difference between 2 now.

Win 10 oem lets you swap it to at least one other PC.

Reactions: Sluggotg

USAFRet

Titan
(From August)

Windows 11 Release Date

There’s no official word as of yet on the release date of Windows 11 to new customers, however, Microsoft has announced that Windows 11 will be released for Windows 10 PCs on October 5th, 2021!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, some of the sites selling it here are the legit sites I would buy hardware from so I doubt they all selling illegitimate copies
I wouldn't buy anything from some of these but really - Maybe they released it for Xmas?
Win 11 on sale in Aust

I agree I wouldn't buy anything from most of the sites listed. But Umart don't strike me as people who would.

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
The best I can tell, you can install Win 11 as a clean install from a USB on a new PC, and skip the activation during the install. Once it's up an running, you purchase the license directly from the Microsoft Store.

Of course, I've never done that, so I don't know what options it gives you. I only assume you can pick the version to buy - Home or Pro, OEM or Retail. Maybe it only gives you the Retail option from the Store.

Since the ISO includes all versions of Windows (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education, S...) it's just a matter of the license key that determines what parts becomes active once the install is properly activated.

USAFRet

Titan
The best I can tell, you can install Win 11 as a clean install from a USB on a new PC, and skip the activation during the install. Once it's up an running, you purchase the license directly from the Microsoft Store.

Of course, I've never done that, so I don't know what options it gives you. I only assume you can pick the version to buy - Home or Pro, OEM or Retail. Maybe it only gives you the Retail option from the Store.

Since the ISO includes all versions of Windows (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education, S...) it's just a matter of the license key that determines what parts becomes active once the install is properly activated.
Thats the issue....you cannot yet purchase a standalone license direct from MS.

Apparently, that will be in a few months.

And you'd need to install the version that corresponds to the license key version you buy.
If you buy a Home license, don't install the Pro version, and so on.

Feb 17, 2022
A similar topic was raised on the Microsoft Community site. The consultants said that at one time Windows 10 retail went on sale 6 months after the release of Windows 10 and advised to hope that Windows 11 retail will also appear 6 months after the release (October 5, 2021)

Feb 17, 2022

This method grants a Digital License only for this computer and you will not be able to transfer the license or activate Windows in case of hardware changes. In this case, the activation simply will not work and the support service will not help you.
The Microsoft community forum doesn't want to discuss this way of buying a computer license at all, because if you don't have a genuine license, you should not install Windows on your computer. By the time the Windows installation process is complete, you must have a genuine license, otherwise you are a pirate.

Last edited:
if you don't have a genuine license, you should not install Windows on your computer. By the time the Windows installation process is complete, you must have a genuine license, otherwise you are a pirate.
Not true.
With windows 10 and windows 11, you can install windows without a license.
You can run windows unactivated as long as you want. It doesn't make you a pirate.

USAFRet

Titan
because if you don't have a genuine license, you should not install Windows on your computer. By the time the Windows installation process is complete, you must have a genuine license, otherwise you are a pirate.
I have a test install of Win 10 Pro, installed in a VM, that is now just over 6 years old.
First stood up Dec 8 2016.
Never activated, never reinstalled.
Still running just fine, in its unactivated state.

This method grants a Digital License only for this computer and you will not be able to transfer the license or activate Windows in case of hardware changes. In this case, the activation simply will not work and the support service will not help you.

As far as transferring a license....Win 10/11 is significantly different than previous.
Unless it is an OEM preinstalled by one of the major manufaturers (Dell/HP/etc), a Win 10 license is almost certainly transferable to new hardware.

MS even lays out the procedure to do this.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Purchasing a Win 10 license to activate a brand new Win 11 install works just fine.
Or using an otherwise unused Win 8.1 license to activate a new Win 10 install.

Feb 17, 2022
Not true.
With windows 10 and windows 11, you can install windows without a license.
You can run windows unactivated as long as you want. It doesn't make you a pirate.
If you have purchased a license, then in this case you are not a pirate. But if you do not have a license and you have installed Windows, then you are a pirate. If you have not activated Windows, then you are violating the rules established by the License Agreement. This is not my idea. The EULA clearly states that "You may only use this software if you have the appropriate license and the software has been properly activated using a genuine product key or in another authorized manner." You can, for example, create a theme for discussion in the Microsoft Community and write there what you wrote here. And get objections from the moderators. I reasoned the same way as you and received a warning from the moderators of the Microsoft Community. A computer that had a version of Windows installed without the right to transfer or reactivate after a hardware change. For example, an OEM Windows user had it. He replaced the motherboard. In this case, he needs to buy a new license. He, without deleting Windows, enters the Microsoft Store application and purchases a new license. You may not agree with me, but this was all discussed in the Microsoft Community.

Feb 17, 2022
I have a test install of Win 10 Pro, installed in a VM, that is now just over 6 years old.
First stood up Dec 8 2016.
Never activated, never reinstalled.
Still running just fine, in its unactivated state.

As far as transferring a license....Win 10/11 is significantly different than previous.
Unless it is an OEM preinstalled by one of the major manufaturers (Dell/HP/etc), a Win 10 license is almost certainly transferable to new hardware.

MS even lays out the procedure to do this.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Purchasing a Win 10 license to activate a brand new Win 11 install works just fine.
Or using an otherwise unused Win 8.1 license to activate a new Win 10 install.
I think it's better to wait until retail sales of Windows 11 start, so as not to deal with "pitfalls" and "surprises" in the future. Microsoft does not explicitly state that we can activate Windows 11 with a Windows 10 key. It may be technically feasible, but two questions arise: 1. Is it legal to activate Windiws 11 with a key from Windows 10? 2. Will Windows 11 retain all the functions of the "retail" system in this case? equipment?). For example, I don’t have a license for Windows 10. If I buy it, I can upgrade to 11 or install 11 right away and activate it with a key from 10. Activation will take place, but who will give me a guarantee that as a result of these actions I will have Windows 11 with the possibility of transfer?

USAFRet

Titan
As was the case with Win 10, MS says you CAN activate a WIn 11 install with a previously unused, valid, Win 7/8/8.1/10 license.

It is not merely a technicality.

Win 10 using an older, unused, license

Win 10, after a hardware change:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activate-windows-c39005d4-95ee-b91e-b399-2820fda32227

USAFRet

Titan
I think it's better to wait until retail sales of Windows 11 start, so as not to deal with "pitfalls" and "surprises" in the future. Microsoft does not explicitly state that we can activate Windows 11 with a Windows 10 key. It may be technically feasible, but two questions arise: 1. Is it legal to activate Windiws 11 with a key from Windows 10? 2. Will Windows 11 retain all the functions of the "retail" system in this case? equipment?). For example, I don’t have a license for Windows 10. If I buy it, I can upgrade to 11 or install 11 right away and activate it with a key from 10. Activation will take place, but who will give me a guarantee that as a result of these actions I will have Windows 11 with the possibility of transfer?
Retain all the functions?
Yes.

Guarantee of transferring to new hardware....only MS can do that.
But, given what we've seen with WIn 10, if it is attached to your MS account, it is probably transferable.