Question where to download win7 ?

Ak32

Commendable
Apr 28, 2021
Hi, so after Microsoft ended the support for windows 7, and stopped selling it, is it legal to download it for free from the internet ? and Microsoft is okay with it ? since I got a win11 laptop with 4gb and its kinda struggling, heard win7 uses only 1gb, which is lighter.

As long as you have a Win7 product key, I don't feel like the place you get the software itself matters.

That said. I don't think downgrading to Win7 is a smart move. Better to just add some RAM. You can get 8GB for like...$20. That's surely less hassle than reinstalling a different [EOL] OS, and you get the performance benefit of having more/enough RAM.

Reactions: Ak32
Hi, so after Microsoft ended the support for windows 7, and stopped selling it, is it legal to download it for free from the internet ? and Microsoft is okay with it ? since I got a win11 laptop with 4gb and its kinda struggling, heard win7 uses only 1gb, which is lighter.
No, it's not legal and MS is not ok with it.

You do in general have the right to downgrade but there is no official easy way to get any legal copy of an older version.
https://download.microsoft.com/down...d-4a6d-aed9-f2c1f8f23e14/downgrade_rights.pdf
2. How do I get prior versions of products when I need to downgrade to a prior version of a Microsoft product my organization licenses through Commercial Licensing? While you have the right to downgrade products, in general, the Microsoft Commercial Licensing Service Center (VLSC) provides download access only to the current (N) and the prior version (N-1) of products. Note: In addition to the VLSC download software access, all Commercial Licensing customers may choose to purchase physical media (CD/DVD) copies of their licensed software through their Microsoft reseller. If you have legally obtained physical media (CD/DVD) of earlier Microsoft products that your organization is currently licensed to use through downgrade rights, you may use these prior software versions at your discretion. For more information about access to prior product versions, please see the fulfillment information at www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/fulfillment.aspx.

Also win 7 uses more than 1Gb even though this is the minimum, at least for the first version, but with only 1Gb or even 4Gb it will struggle just as much as any other OS when you start loading browser pages and other stuff that uses huhge amounts of ram.

Reactions: Ak32

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Are you telling us there is a company out there that sold you a laptop with Windows 11 and it has only 4 GB of RAM????
If such a company exists, it should be kicked into the Hall of Miserable Shame!!

But please, do look at your laptop specs thoroughly, maybe it has more but your laptop is showing / using only 1/2 the amount. The barest minimum for any laptop these days is 8 Gig of RAM!!

USAFRet

Titan
That will not work.

You won't be able to find drivers for Win 7 for that laptop.

And even if you could, a valid Win 7 license would cost more than upgrading the RAM.

And Win 7 wouldn't run much better in 4GB RAM either.
Anyone who says "1 GB" is living in fantasyland.

Ak32

Commendable
Apr 28, 2021
That will not work.

You won't be able to find drivers for Win 7 for that laptop.

And even if you could, a valid Win 7 license would cost more than upgrading the RAM.

And Win 7 wouldn't run much better in 4GB RAM either.
Anyone who says "1 GB" is living in fantasyland.
+1 for this. Your laptop will be close to a doorstop.
You, will have to spend a little to upgrade the RAM, IMO.
lenovo flex, soldered ram :/, is win10 better option ?

Ak32

Commendable
Apr 28, 2021
10 or 11, no difference.

4GB RAM will be a dog with 7/8/10/11.

Is there only the one RAM slot, and that current 4GB is soldered in?
i didnt open it up yet but from what ive seen on YT, 0 upgrades can be done on ram, btw why does it say 1 slot of 8 are used in task manager ? i mean where are the 7 slots.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

this will allow you to download win 7 direct from MS servers like always

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

but as the others have noted, you are very unlikely to get it 100% working since it was made well after win 7 was finished

82HS00RAUS
It's as bad as we feared!
The crime was committed when Lenovo decided they needed to save 50 cents on soldered RAM in a machine they were only going to ship with 4GB to start with.....

So what can we suggest to optimize Win 11 and common apps for BARE MINIMUM ram usage?
  • I'd start with a clean install of Windows. Download from microsoft. That will clear off all the preinstalled Lenovo "bloatware"
    • This goes hand-in-hand with having little/no background programs running/installed.
  • MS Edge browser uses 200MB less ram than Chrome with 10 tabs open...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS