[SOLVED] Which adapter should I go for ?

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Hello there.

I have got Lenovo Thinkpad E14 for business which has i7-10510u. My laptop doesn't have a GPU so I am using it with iGPU.
There is HP ZR24W monitor at my office. But my laptop does only have HDMI output whilst the monitor doesn't have one.

What would be the best adapter I can get in order to connect my laptop to that monitor ?
The monitor have DVI, DP and VGA sockets

I will be using it only for work with dual display/desktops so I don't need sound over the cable. I just want to get 1920x1080p @ 60hz display with no extra latency. I'm aware that the monitor has 5m/s latency though.

Thanks.

Solution
Agreed - I think just the adapter would be fine. No need to get a cable that's HDMI at one end and DVI at the other end.

As long as the adapter matches your monitor's connector, you're good to go. I've had success with going the opposite route (an old PC that had only a DVI connector, and I used an adapter to connect it to an HDMI cable and plug it into my monitor).
if ur looking for only 60Hz a VGA will do.So yeah VGA to HDMI will work while being the cheapest option.With DVI there are 2 versions so ur gonna have to check if that monitor has a dvi-i od a dvi-d interface which can be tricky when ur shopping.The displayport to hdmi is the most expensive one and quite useless if u only want 60hz at 1920x1080.So yeah VGA to HDMI is the best for ur case.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would disagree on the VGA adapter because, given that the laptop is producing digital output, an active adapter will be needed to connect to a VGA input on the monitor, as I understand it.
A passive adapter will likely be unreliable.

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
The monitor has DVI-D (dual link) socket. It has only one minus sign next to pins.

Should I get an HDMI cable with one DVI-D at the one end or only a socket adapter ?

I don't want to damage a socket, especially the one on my laptop. I have got one spare hdmi cable so I think just a socket adapter would be a cheaper solution for me, if it is safe, right ?

I live in a failed state by the way so thats why I have to count every dolar

The monitor has DVI-D (dual link) socket. It has only one minus sign next to pins.

Should I get an HDMI cable with one DVI-D at the one end or only a socket adapter ?

I don't want to damage a socket, especially the one on my laptop. I have got one spare hdmi cable so I think just a socket adapter would be a cheaper solution for me, if it is safe, right ?

I live in a failed state by the way so thats why I have to count every dolar
It doesn't matter, both will work the same.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed - I think just the adapter would be fine. No need to get a cable that's HDMI at one end and DVI at the other end.

As long as the adapter matches your monitor's connector, you're good to go. I've had success with going the opposite route (an old PC that had only a DVI connector, and I used an adapter to connect it to an HDMI cable and plug it into my monitor).

Solution