debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
I have a Gigabyte ga b85 d3hMotherboard and ask 4000b-u3 cabinet Which third party cooler will fit in ? my cpu is giving me idle 45-50 degree ( i7 4700) so looking for a after market cooler ? i have two intake fan and one exhaust and sotck cpu cooler.
thanks in advance

Ralston18

Titan
You may not need an aftermarket cooler.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used):

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Fans: make, model, capacity?

I am not sure that the cited temperatures are (C or F degrees ?) are that much out of limit.

And a few degrees lower may or may not make a difference.,

Plus having two intake fans and only one exhaust may actually be bottling up or otherwise reducing air flows.

Update your post according and, if possible, take a couple of interior case photographs.

Post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Very helpful to see and understand the bigger picture.

debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
You may not need an aftermarket cooler.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used):

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Fans: make, model, capacity?

I am not sure that the cited temperatures are (C or F degrees ?) are that much out of limit.

And a few degrees lower may or may not make a difference.,

Plus having two intake fans and only one exhaust may actually be bottling up or otherwise reducing air flows.

Update you post according and, if possible, take a couple of interior case photographs.

Post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Very helpful to see and understand the bigger picture.

I have a assembled PC using these components :
Processor - i7 4770
Motherboard - Gigabyte ga b85 d3h
Ram - gskills rip jaws 4gb x3
Powersupply - antec 550 watt
SSD - samsung EVO 850
Hardrive - seagate barracuda 1tb 7200
Graphic card - ASUS Phoenix GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5
Cabinet/chasy - Antec ask 4000b-u3
Monitor - LG 24gn650

The temp is in C and most of the components are 5-6 years old except monitor, graphics card and powersupply

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This GPU?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Phoenix/PH-GTX1060-3G/techspec/

Recommended PSU wattage is 500 Watts.

Likely that the GPU does not require that much wattage even at peak. It still could be that the PSU (age?) is not able to keep up with either the GPU's requirements and/or the system as a whole.

How old is that Antec 550 watt PSU. Heavy gaming use - correct?

Still, I continue to wonder about the cited CPU temperatures - how out of spec are the temperatures for idle conditions?

What are the temperatures while gaming etc.?

Key is to narrow down and understand what problem exists.

debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
This GPU?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Phoenix/PH-GTX1060-3G/techspec/

Recommended PSU wattage is 500 Watts.

Likely that the GPU does not require that much wattage even at peak. It still could be that the PSU (age?) is not able to keep up with either the GPU's requirements and/or the system as a whole.

How old is that Antec 550 watt PSU. Heavy gaming use - correct?

Still, I continue to wonder about the cited CPU temperatures - how out of spec are the temperatures for idle conditions?

What are the temperatures while gaming etc.?

Key is to narrow down and understand what problem exists.
@Ralston18
Yes This is the GPU and temps while gaming anywhere between 80 -90 ( while playing GTA, Valorant and Fortnite )
the PSU is almost 3 years old and i game only 2 hours a day other than that it is used as a graphics design and video editing machine and lately I am using it for architectural work like
3ds Max ( modelling, texture , lighting)
while typing this post - the ambient temperature is 38 c as it is summer time here and the pc temp in real temp is 57 c P:S - 20 tabs opened in firefox with youtube video

KyaraM

Admirable
@Ralston18
Yes This is the GPU and temps while gaming anywhere between 80 -90 ( while playing GTA, Valorant and Fortnite )
the PSU is almost 3 years old and i game only 2 hours a day other than that it is used as a graphics design and video editing machine and lately I am using it for architectural work like
3ds Max ( modelling, texture , lighting)
while typing this post - the ambient temperature is 38 c as it is summer time here and the pc temp in real temp is 57 c P:S - 20 tabs opened in firefox with youtube video
38°C in your room?!?
That's toasty. I would honestly overheat myself under those conditions. And honestly? For that, the temps seem reasonable.

Ralston18

Titan
The PSU being three years old with the cited history of heavy use (meaning wattage demands and not use times) makes the PSU a prime suspect.

Could be that between the PSU, the case cooling (or lack of it), and the room temperature the environmental temperatures are excessive.

However, I believe that the temperatures would/will be high even without being in a warm or hot environment.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Ensure that none of the vents etc. are blocked and that fans are free to move.

= = = =

If the temperatures remain high thereafter try another known working PSU of equivalent (or higher) wattage and rating.

Remember do not mix and match in cables from other PSUs.

Determine if the temperatures decrease.

debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
38°C in your room?!?
That's toasty. I would honestly overheat myself under those conditions. And honestly? For that, the temps seem reasonable.
@KyaraM Hahaha I have an air conditioner in my room but I am not used to artificial cooling makes me sick so I mostly keep it off once the room temperature becomes pleasant but I enjoy natural winters very much :)

debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
The PSU being three years old with the cited history of heavy use (meaning wattage demands and not use times) makes the PSU a prime suspect.

Could be that between the PSU, the case cooling (or lack of it), and the room temperature the environmental temperatures are excessive.

However, I believe that the temperatures would/will be high even without being in a warm or hot environment.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Ensure that none of the vents etc. are blocked and that fans are free to move.

= = = =

If the temperatures remain high thereafter try another known working PSU of equivalent (or higher) wattage and rating.

Remember do not mix and match in cables from other PSUs.

Determine if the temperatures decrease.
@Ralston18 could you please suggest an after-market cooler?

@Ralston18 could you please suggest an after-market cooler?

The width of your tower case affects what coolers will fit inside it.

Cases typically have a "maximum cooler height" specification mentioned on the spec sheet.

I spent 20 minutes yesterday trying to find that info for your case.

I failed to find it mentioned.

Your case appears rather normal in width, but there are a lot of good coolers that might be just a mm or two too tall. Your case might be OK for a 155mm cooler and not accept a lot of good coolers that are 158 or 160 mm tall.

So be careful. Maybe you can find the max height specification?

You could get something shorter like a Noctua U9S which is under 130 mm tall. Your case certainly appears to be wide enough for that.

debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
The width of your tower case affects what coolers will fit inside it.

Cases typically have a "maximum cooler height" specification mentioned on the spec sheet.

I spent 20 minutes yesterday trying to find that info for your case.

I failed to find it mentioned.

Your case appears rather normal in width, but there are a lot of good coolers that might be just a mm or two too tall. Your case might be OK for a 155mm cooler and not accept a lot of good coolers that are 158 or 160 mm tall.

So be careful. Maybe you can find the max height specification?

You could get something shorter like a Noctua U9S which is under 130 mm tall. Your case certainly appears to be wide enough for that.
@Lafong Thanks for a prompt reply actually it is not just the case my motherboard is micro atx, not full size so I am confused if I will able to mount a third party cooler

Micro ATX should have no effect whatsoever by itself.

You need to consider case width and whether the mounting mechanism of the cooler is compatible with your motherboard (which AMD socket, which Intel socket).

I guess you have a rather old Intel board with an LGA1150 socket.

Here is the Noctua compatiblity list for your motherboard:

https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/Gigabyte-GA-B85M-D3H-2693

But you still need to worry about case width.

Last edited:

debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
Micro ATX should have no effect whatsoever by itself.

You need to consider case width and whether the mounting mechanism of the cooler is compatible with your motherboard (which AMD socket, which Intel socket).

I guess you have a rather old Intel board.
@Lafong you are right but the ram slots are very close to the CPU socket even the stock cooler looks big if i get something bigger it might obstruct the last ( nearest ram slot to CPU socket ) and yes my board and processor are really old 4th gen. I am waiting for a drop in pc parts to build a new pc the prices soared after covid but now I am seeing a lot of correction in the prices lately waiting for some kinda sale or festive discount
Link to a picture from official site - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D3H-rev-21#ov

https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/Gigabyte-GA-B85M-D3H-2693

noctua compatibility list for your motherboard

Indicating full compatibility with various Noctua coolers.

The U9S and U12S do not overhang any RAM. They both fall within the Intel socket zone specification.

They differ in height. 125 mm versus 158mm

I'm sure other coolers will also fit, but you have to dig into the details.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS