[SOLVED] which cooler is a good replacement, computer is overheating often

ZerekHQ

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Lately after playing most general games, I've noticed performance issues. I finally realized that my computer was constantly hot, and if i were to reset my computer, once it turned back on, it said that it had overheated. Tests showed my computer to idle at 75c , and 97c when gaming. This is a custom build by iBuyPower. I'm just trying to figure out what would be a good replacement, since after researching, a lot of people are saying that this kind of cooling has had issues for them.

Case - iBUYPOWER Trace MR Mirror Finished Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case
Case Fans - Default Case Fan
Case Lighting - iBUYPOWER RGB Lighting - [FREE] 1 RGB Lighting Strip
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-10400F Processor (6x 2.90 GHz /12MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling - iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Memory - 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory [Free Upgrade to DDR4-3200 XPG D41 RGB]
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z490-P -- Gb LAN, WiFi, ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 , (4 Rear, 5 Front)
Power Supply - 600 Watt - High Power - 80 PLUS Gold
Primary Hard Drive - 1 TB ADATA SU750 SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 520MB/s
Secondary Hard Drive - 2 TB Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Operating System Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)

Solution
Ok, then the cooler is a rebranded Apaltek model.
NZXT Kraken M22, some Enermax Liqtechs + Liqmaxs, and Msi MAG + MPG Coreliquids, have all had issues with contaminated coolant, and clogging earlier than they should be because of it.
Straight up, the cooler needs to go - whether you want to do that with IBuyPower or not, is up to you. They may want you to send the entire PC back - check with them to be sure - just to replace the cooler, and you'll get it back at some point.

If you replace the current cooler with another 240mm, I suggest the following:
-remove the front panel fans. They are not helping, nor won't help for the rest of this.
-remove the rear fan, and that spot instantly becomes a rear intake for the AIO with far less air...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
iBUYPOWER Trace MR Mirror Finished Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case
Ah, an airflow challenged chassis. Can probably work with it, if you're willing to take some things out of it?
By things, I mean fans and PCIe slot guards.

iBUYPOWER 240mm
I need you to look around the radiator for a black cube built into it, like this:
iu
Is that cube present?

ZerekHQ

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Ah, an airflow challenged chassis. Can probably work with it, if you're willing to take some things out of it?
By things, I mean fans and PCIe slot guards.

I need you to look around the radiator for a black cube built into it, like this:
iu
Is that cube present?
Yup, it sure is.

I'm happy to try and work with it if you might have any suggestions to improve performance. I've cleaned the dust out and reapplied thermal paste twice in the past 2 months,

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NZXT Kraken M22, some Enermax Liqtechs + Liqmaxs, and Msi MAG + MPG Coreliquids, have all had issues with contaminated coolant, and clogging earlier than they should be because of it.
Straight up, the cooler needs to go - whether you want to do that with IBuyPower or not, is up to you. They may want you to send the entire PC back - check with them to be sure - just to replace the cooler, and you'll get it back at some point.

-remove the front panel fans. They are not helping, nor won't help for the rest of this.
-remove the rear fan, and that spot instantly becomes a rear intake for the AIO with far less air resistance than what's present at the front. No to a rear intake fan, because it 'T-bones' the pull of the AIO's fans.
-remove the PCIe slot guards at the rear. The gpu will then be able to draw in more cool air from that way.
Like this, what you have is a sort of mirror to the traditional front intake + top exhaust: rear intake + top exhaust.

With all that effort to fix it and money you already sunk into it, also consider just returning the PC and getting your money back, if possible.

Reactions: ZerekHQ
Solution

ZerekHQ

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016

-remove the rear fan, and that spot instantly becomes a rear intake for the AIO with far less air resistance than what's present at the front. No to a rear intake fan, because it 'T-bones' the pull of the AIO's fans.
-remove the PCIe slot guards at the rear. The gpu will then be able to draw in more cool air from that way.
Like this, what you have is a sort of mirror to the traditional front intake + top exhaust: rear intake + top exhaust.

With all that effort to fix it and money you already sunk into it, also consider just returning the PC and getting your money back, if possible.

Thanks so much for all of the information. I'll look into both options you provided once I'm back from work. Appreciate ya!