Question Which CPU would you consider the best for gaming laptops?

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
Hi,

I am in the gaming laptop market and I am more interested in CPU rather than GPU, so if any of you can give me any advice about the best/most powerful CPU for laptops at this moment I would really appreciate it. Budget is not a big deal since I have enough savings.

Regards
Jorge

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
For gaming 90% of the games need a good GPU , any current year i7 CPU will do the trick, more important is the video card and amount of ram (get 16GB) IMHO.

Then, do you think an Intel Core i7 9750H is worth over Intel Core i7 8750H? Intel Core i7 9750H has a base freq. 2.6 GHz and a Turbo freq. of 4.5 GHz and Intel Core i7 8750H has a base freq. 2.2 GHz and a Turbo freq. of 4.0 GHz, However, I read that i7 9750H has a turbo freq. of 4.0 GHz when all cores are working while i7 8750H has a turbo freq. of 3.9 GHz when all cores are working. That seems to be a very small difference in performance, but at the same time i7 9750H has a higher base freq. (2.6 GHz vs 2.2 GHz). The differences in prices between both CPUs are noticeable and I don't know how those facts are translated in real performance and why Intel Core i7 9750H turbo freq. drops from 4.5 GHz single core performance to 4.0 GHz all cores performance?

As above, start with the best graphics chip if you can.
On the processor side, all of your candidates are good.
The turbo applies when thermals and workloads permit.
Laptop cpu coolers are by definition small and are really are not up to proper cooling.
Under heavy cpu and gpu load you are likely to get some throttling.
Spend some tome picking a laptop with very good cooling to be able to get the most out of whatever processor you buy.
Ultimately, worth is something only YOU can determine.
My take is to buy the strongest, even if it costs more.
The added price is a pain for a short time, but second guessing if you bought the lesser product lasts much longer.