alanstav

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
hi,my pc has an fsp400-60hln cpu,i want to up the power 500-600w.
how do i choose the right one?i:e size,compatability etc.
pretty clueless on pc maintenance.
what would you need to know to advise?
cheers alan

LokalHero

Honorable
May 2, 2012
The fsp400-60hln is a PSU, not a CPU.

It looks like a standard ATX from the images I saw. Any normal ATX PSU will fit. Corsair do a cheap and cheerful 500w, the CX500. That will probably suffice for your needs.

InvalidError

Titan
Compatibility is not a problem, any ATX PSU of sufficient sustained power rating is interchangeable to any other ATX PSU. Just need to make sure the PSU has all the power connectors you need.

Beyond that, I would recommend looking for PSUs that have at least 80+ Bronze certification since PSUs with no certification whatsoever often have horrible efficiency and cheap construction.

alanstav

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
so do all ATX PSU`S come hard wired(with external cables coming out the back?
do you have any suggestions/recommendations?
how would i know if it`s got the right power cables,and can you connect to wrong thing(causing damage,as i dont suppose they come colour co-ordinated)as there`s load of wires ?

cheers alan.

InvalidError

Titan
Power cables are keyed, which makes it nearly impossible to plug them in the wrong place without using excessive force or physically breaking something.

Some PSUs have modular cables but with so many low-cost mid-range cases providing stow-away area for excess cables, I personally wouldn't care about modular since it introduces one more failure point.

As far as recommendations go, I'm personally quite happy with my Antec EarthWatt 650, runs a lot cooler and quieter than the old 450W Antec PSU it replaced.