Which EVGA GTX 260!?

kslghost

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
GTX 260 Core 216 Standard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130443

I recently started planning on a build for a Q9550 on Gigabyte UD3R in an Antec 900.

Is the price difference worth it? Its only a 16 dollar difference for a significant overclock. Does anyone know EVGA's policy on covering their OC'd stuff like this? As a concern, their forums have a significant number of complaints about the SSC edition causing artifacts and running pretty hot overall. They said they had to lower the speeds a little bit, which probably wouldn't be too hard. How much can I plan to OC the standard edition without putting my card at risk using the cooler included with the card?

Also, anyone else hear about any problems with either of these cards? :) Thanks!

Defiantly go for the overclocked card.
An extra $16 for a free 100Mhz core and 300Mhz mem overclock is a great deal!
Plus, you get the free copy of Mirror's Edge.

EVGA will have the same lifetime (or is it a double lifetime?) warranty on their overclocked products as on their standard products. If you do get a card that can not run at it's advertised speed, just RMA it.

kslghost

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks guys, was reading Guru3d and found out about their sickly good replacement programs/step up opportunities. Though with this card benchmarking as great as it does, probably won't use that upgrade opportunity!

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I think I'll chime in with the fact I received a Superclock when I ordered my Standard 260, unfortunately it had issues, and my replacement was a standard, but I read on their forums its common to receive them. That's even better than "Delivered OC'd".

That said, my standard I received as a replacement, easily overclocked to SSC speeds and beyond.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Cards that overclock better usually are used for SSC edition from evga if you want the extra performance and where going to overclock anyways (not that nvidia makes it had with their click to overclock button) get it delivered oced warranty will cover the rest.

I had a "FTW" Edition GTX 260 (192) fail on me after five months. They sent a standard GTX 260 (216), but at least it was a new, sealed retail box. From what I understand you usually get a refurbished - so I didn't complain.

Oh, for the small price difference I'd get the SSC as well.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

I don't get the need to buy an overclocked card when the "warranty" actually covers manual overclocking.....
Its like buying a high end processor, when you can get one that has the same specs cache wise etc and overclock it past the more expensive one for much less money.

But I guess I'm just not quick to spend more than necessary.