Question Which GPU for an i3-12100f ?

Jul 8, 2022
Hi, I recently purchased an i3-12100f. It is currently paired with a GTX 1060 but I notice that in games, the 1060 is at 60% usage while the i3-12100f is at 10%. So I thought maybe I should change my graphics card. What graphics card would you recommend for the i3 12100f?

I notice that in games, the 1060 is at 60% usage

You answered yourself, you are already limited by the cpu, even if it says 10% usage does not mean that the cpu can do better, you are limited at that fps by the cpu thats why the gpu is at 60%, increase resolution, increase details and you will see that the gpu utilization increases but the fps stays the same. For that cpu is not worth an upgrade only if you wanna increase resolution then it will worth it. Right now you are obtaining maximum fps that your cpu can provide and your gpu is not fully utilized.

Jul 8, 2022
Ok fine, thank you for the information :D
You answered yourself, you are already limited by the cpu, even if it says 10% usage does not mean that the cpu can do better, you are limited at that fps by the cpu thats why the gpu is at 60%, increase resolution, increase details and you will see that the gpu utilization increases but the fps stays the same. For that cpu is not worth an upgrade only if you wanna increase resolution then it will worth it. Right now you are obtaining maximum fps that your cpu can provide and your gpu is not fully utilized.

Hi, I recently purchased an i3-12100f. It is currently paired with a GTX 1060 but I notice that in games, the 1060 is at 60% usage while the i3-12100f is at 10%. So I thought maybe I should change my graphics card. What graphics card would you recommend for the i3 12100f?
What games are you playing? Do you know if you have v-sync on or off and what refresh rate are you using? Are you using an fps cap?

60% usage suggest you may be running with a capped fps or fps limited by v-sync or the game is just not graphically intensive. Running a GTX 1060 on a 12100F should be at or near 100% if you don't have an fps cap.

Reactions: Eximo
If you are happy with the current performance, you get the desired FPS then you are fine, you always have to set yourself a target for example 60 fps or 100 fps in specific games, and ask yourself what i need to do to hit those markers, are you hiting your markers with current PC?

Jul 8, 2022
What games are you playing? Do you know if you have v-sync on or off and what refresh rate are you using? Are you using an fps cap?

60% usage suggest you may be running with a capped fps or fps limited by v-sync. Running a GTX 1060 on a 12100F should be at or near 100% if you don't have an fps cap.
I play Forza Horizon 4-5, CS:GO and GTA V. Indeed, I think I have v-sync enabled on GTA V. No I don't use fps limiter

Download this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Why upgrade the video card your not even using all of the one you have now.
The games the OP is playing should be using more than 60% of a GTX 1060. That GPU should be pegged at 100% in those games assuming they're not using v-sync at 60Hz. The 12100F is capable of keeping up with even a 3080 despite having only 4c8t, so that shouldn't be the issue. There is clearly a problem somewhere that may be hardware or software/driver related.

Reactions: Eximo